Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Last try at Bookmarks question

Last try at Bookmarks question

Bob Newman

I asked this question a couple of months ago, I thought it was a simple one
but no one could answer it. I'm ready to junk Firefox if I can't get my
bookmarks back the way they were:

Firefox 2.0.0.

I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
any folder as it always did in the past?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Rom

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

> Firefox 2.0.0.
>
> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
> sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
> any folder as it always did in the past?

Don't know what you've tried previously:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_bookmarks_alphabetically>

--
Rom

Bob Newman

It doesn't look like that will put them all back in one command. I have
dozens of folders & you must do one at a time, it screwed them up all at
once. This seems to be one thing that IE6/7 has it all over Firefox on.

Bob

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1dcgqrc6m1xrt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:
>
>> Firefox 2.0.0.
>>
>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it
>> sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not
>> in
>> any folder as it always did in the past?

> Don't know what you've tried previously:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_bookmarks_alphabetically>
>
> --
> Rom

Charani

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
> sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
> any folder as it always did in the past?

If it won't do it automatically, do it manually. Yes, it's a faff but
better that than dump Firefox.

Alternatively put all the individual sites into a folder called Misc
or General, then tell Firefox to sort the folders.

elaich

"Bob Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:iMEOh.45970$(E-Mail Removed):

> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
seems to have it.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Charani

On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
> seems to have it.

My husband found the same thing happened when he tried Firefox.

Rom

On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

> "Bob Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:iMEOh.45970$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
>> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
>> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
> seems to have it.

Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

--
Rom

Chalky

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
>
>> "Bob Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:iMEOh.45970$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
>>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
>>> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
>>> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

>> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
>> seems to have it.

> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
sort by name. This works perfectly.

Rom

On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:

> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
>>
>>> "Bob Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:iMEOh.45970$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
>>> seems to have it.

>> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
>> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
>> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
>> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
> sort by name. This works perfectly.

Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
alone perfectly.

--
Rom

Chalky

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1n8bst68k86lv$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:
>
>> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
>>> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
>>> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
>>> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

>> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any
>> item an sort by name. This works perfectly.

> Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
> alone perfectly.

Well it works perfectly on my system.