Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet access only works at some wireless cafes

Internet access only works at some wireless cafes

Matt Beckwith

When I'm on my home wireless network, or on the wireless in Panera (a
cafe) I can access the Internet without difficulty. But at a couple
of local cafes where I live, I cannot. In each location, I am able to
connect to their wireless network just fine. But Internet Explorer
cannot find web sites. Others sitting in these cafes at the same time
with their laptops are able to access web sites without difficulty.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Klaatu01

On Mar 28, 11:52 am, "Matt Beckwith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When I'm on my home wireless network, or on the wireless in Panera (a
> cafe) I can access the Internet without difficulty. But at a couple
> of local cafes where I live, I cannot. In each location, I am able to
> connect to their wireless network just fine. But Internet Explorer
> cannot find web sites. Others sitting in these cafes at the same time
> with their laptops are able to access web sites without difficulty.
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Look for the following settings:
Tools > Internet Options... > Connection > LAN Settings... >
Automatically detect settings (checkbox) and check (Enable) it. Also
there may be a "Proxy" setting required in SOME locations or your
Windows / Other firewall MAY be blocking. Firewall software can be
tricky to configure and the last thing someone suspects depending on
the symptoms. A relative of mine recently had issues downloading
multimedia content for Windows Media Player (WMP) but the weird
symptom was he could get two-thirds of the way through a download
before it quit on him. This may be due to "buffering" of the incoming
data stream, before it writes to the hard drive, but I do not know the
specifics. He finally uninstalled the Firewall software and with no
other changes everything worked correctly afterwards.

Are you using Windows built-in Firewall, Windows Defender, a third-
party firewall or multiple firewall (type) applications?

So, go figure. Just for clarity, my caps use above should be
understood to imply MAY (or MAY NOT) and SOME (but possibly not all).

Internet Explorer also has settings for Security and the "Internet"
zone which may or may not be set as "High" when "Medium" might be good
enough. Internet Explorer 7, the newest, does not have "SSL 2.0"
enabled by default, so this MAY be a factor if you have recently
downloaded (upgraded) to it. I guess SSL 3.0 is a replacement for 2.0
but I am not sure of this and (still) think they are backwards
compatible.

Which version of Internet Explorer do you use?

If you are seeing any other indicators such as, "Page cannot be
displayed" or a errors 501 or 403.17, please post again and let us
know.

Finally, if you open a Command Line prompt by going to [Start] > Run >
"cmd" (OK) and type the command "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" at
either Cafe location, this will give you data on exactly what the
laptop is "seeing" (detecting) as far as network related stuff is
concerned. It is possible you will see "192.68.x.x" (private or local
network) or "254.169.x.x" (non-routable) IP Address. Knowing how to
check this and a little about what it means can be VERY helpful (e.g.
you will know more than the staff at the cafes).

NOTE: In the Command Line (DOS window) if you right-click the Title
Bar and go into Properties, checking "Quick Edit" and increasing the
"Buffer Size:" to 400 will allow you to Cut & Paste information from
within the window into Notepad or an e-mail for sharing with others or
posting to this group. Be sure to save the properties "Save
properties for future windows..." when you exit the DOS window. This
also can be very useful in troubleshooting problems.

Good luck!

Evan Platt

On 28 Mar 2007 08:52:02 -0700, "Matt Beckwith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I'm on my home wireless network, or on the wireless in Panera (a
>cafe) I can access the Internet without difficulty. But at a couple
>of local cafes where I live, I cannot. In each location, I am able to
>connect to their wireless network just fine. But Internet Explorer
>cannot find web sites. Others sitting in these cafes at the same time
>with their laptops are able to access web sites without difficulty.
>Any help greatly appreciated.

Ok, so you're using a laptop of some sort.
Mac? PC? Windows 98? Windows XP?

Disable any and all firewalls and try.