Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > network problem

network problem

cath senior

i am networking 2 computers wirelessly, all is ok but my broadband modem is
usb powered so whenever i put my first pc into standby or shut down it cuts
the power supply to the modem so the networked computer upstairs cant access
the internet and gets disconnected.

is there any way to keep the power to the broadband modem "alive" so the
second pc can still access the net while the first pc is on stand by.

thanks in advance.

Dana Brash

Hi Cath,

The short answer is that system1 must stay powered on in order for system2
(the upstairs computer) to reach the internet.

When your system goes into standby, it dumps the RAM and current state to
the hiberfile.sys on the harddrive, shuts down Windows and then powers off
the machine. When you power your system back up from Standby, Windows will
read the 'current' state information from the hibefile.sys and restore
windows to where you left off. Regardless, when your system is in standby,
it is actually shut down.

It sounds like you've got a broadband connection shared out on one PC, and
that you've set up an Ad-hoc network between system1 and system2 for the
sake of sharing the broadband connection. You've probably enabled Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) or Routing and Remote Access (RRAS ~ only if you're
running Server) to allow the second PC access to the broadband.

ICS, RRAS, and your modem for that matter, ALL rely not only on power, but
on their required services in Windows in order to function.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash