Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus OM lens with a Olympus DSLR

Olympus OM lens with a Olympus DSLR

Peter Stacey

I have a range of Olympus OM 1 &2 gear, including 24mm, 35-70mm 75-150mm
lens bellows etc. Finally considering getting a DSLR, (E-1?) and am tempted
to go on a path that will allow me to utilise the old equipment, rather than
to scrap it or virtually give it away. Presuming that there is negligible
need/value in the old film gear. An adapter is available to use the old lens
with the 4/3 camera fitting.

Being used to manual focus etc. I thought that I would not feel too
disadvantaged by not having everything automated as is the case nowadays.
However I did think that getting a good 'standard' lens with the new
camera/body would be a good idea.

Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I realise that one can become
emotionally attached to our gear, when from a practical or financial view
the decision is a no brainer.

TIA
Cheers Peter S.

Le Patriote

Go Pentax, Canon or even Nikon.

Forget the 4/3. They already had problems with noise with the E1 (5mp).
Sensor is too small to get anything good (noise) from these cameras.

They also only have 3 AF points , even the D50 has 5 AF points.

Slow flash sync (1/180) and slow frame rate too (2.5fps).

Olympus is dead for me.

Grab a 30D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 if you can afford it.

Apparently Canon will have new kits/prices starting april 2. One comes with
a 28-125 USM IS (not very wide, but very cheap apparently. We will know more
monday.)

J. Clarke

Peter Stacey wrote:
> I have a range of Olympus OM 1 &2 gear, including 24mm, 35-70mm
> 75-150mm lens bellows etc. Finally considering getting a DSLR, (E-1?)
> and am tempted to go on a path that will allow me to utilise the old
> equipment, rather than to scrap it or virtually give it away.
> Presuming that there is negligible need/value in the old film gear.
> An adapter is available to use the old lens with the 4/3 camera
> fitting.
>
> Being used to manual focus etc. I thought that I would not feel too
> disadvantaged by not having everything automated as is the case
> nowadays. However I did think that getting a good 'standard' lens
> with the new camera/body would be a good idea.
>
> Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I realise that one can
> become emotionally attached to our gear, when from a practical or
> financial view the decision is a no brainer.

Thing to be aware of--the 4/3 sensor is half the size of a 35mm
frame--your 24mm effectively becomes a 48mm.

There are adapters on the market that allow OM mount lenses to be used
on Canon bodies. Again, the inexpensive bodies have small sensors,
1/1.6 the size of a 35mm, so your 24mm effectively becomes a 38mm. In
exchange for this you get very good performance at high ISOs.

The 5D and the 1DS have 35mm sensors, your OM lenses will give the same
field of view on them as on your OM, but they're not cheap.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Alfred Molon

Ask here:

We have over 12000 users of Olympus cameras, mostly DSLRs.

(and forget the dumb advice given by the Canon users - I always wonder
why they need to jump into Olympus threads)
--

Alfred Molon

J. Clarke

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Ask here:
>
> We have over 12000 users of Olympus cameras, mostly DSLRs.
>
> (and forget the dumb advice given by the Canon users - I always wonder
> why they need to jump into Olympus threads)

Because Canon is the right answer to that particular question.

Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

JG

Le Patriote wrote:
> Go Pentax, Canon or even Nikon.

Why? The OP has already mentioned Olympus? Not everyone wants to be on
the Canon bandwagon, many choose Olympus for other reasons rather than
sheer sledgehammer specification.

> Forget the 4/3. They already had problems with noise with the E1 (5mp).
> Sensor is too small to get anything good (noise) from these cameras.

And the others are perfect? Noise is a very complex issue with many
tweaks and workarounds. The E1 has proven itself time and again and if
you were able to broaden your horizons you would know this. Very few
cameras for me match the quality of E1s colour. For me it is the perfect
picture taking machine.

> They also only have 3 AF points , even the D50 has 5 AF points.

Sometimes less can be more. The photographer decides not the camera.

> Slow flash sync (1/180) and slow frame rate too (2.5fps).

This may not be an issue for the OP. And the frame rate is 3.0 FPS

> Olympus is dead for me.

Well you seem to need to prove a point.

> Grab a 30D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 if you can afford it.

Yes sir right away.....

> Apparently Canon will have new kits/prices starting april 2. One comes with
> a 28-125 USM IS (not very wide, but very cheap apparently. We will know more
> monday.)

Alfred Molon

says...

> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
> Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.
--

Alfred Molon

dj_nme

Alfred Molon wrote:
> says...
>

>>Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
>>Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

> Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
> recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.

The obvious response Mr Molon, is that because Peter Stacy is starting
from scratch (with digital), he has no investment in FourThirds
equipment and that by using an OM lens on a Digital EOS body there will
be a better use of the glass and the "crop factor" can be 1.6x, 1.3 or 1
(no crop) depending on the body used.
The only digital bodies offered by Olympus all have a 2x crop factor, so
you lose even more of the wide-angle than the smallest sensor EOS (1.6x
crop factor) bodies.
There is no difference in convenience, as to use an OM lens on a
FourThirds body requires an adapter which does not couple the aperture
in any way to the body, which is the exactly same as using it on an EOS
with an adapter.

Yoshi

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> says...
>
>> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
>> Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

> Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
> recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Alfred, its a mystery to me too. For some reason, some Canon users feel the
need to endlessly cheerlead for their cameras. Any mention of a Nikon,
Olympus, or Pentax is like waving a red flag at a bull. They come charging
in to inform the poster that he's a fool for using anything but the "Totally
Digital 20D" or some such rubbish. Seems like they suffer from some sort of
insecurity. Photographers make photographs, equipment is just a means to
that end. This endless touting of ones brand loyalty gets tiresome.

Yoshi

John Bean

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:05:35 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>
>> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
>> Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

>Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
>recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.

All brands have their blinkered fanboys and I agree that
Canon seems to have more than their fair share of them - but
that's only because there are more Canon users out there
anyway.

Best to ignore them.

"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level
and then beat you with experience."

"Never argue with a fool. Someone watching may not be able
to tell the difference."

--
John Bean