Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Deleting a partition

Deleting a partition

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Hi,

When I installed Windows X64, I partitioned my hard drive so that it would
have 3 partitions. I now want to delete one of the partitions. I did a
Microsoft search and found that I needed to go into Disk Management, right
click on the partition, and click delete. I did that but it didn't remove
the partition. It's still there but can't be accessed.

My computer consists of my C drive where all of my programs are located.
The D drive contains files that I use. The E drive was empty and I couldn't
fine a use for it, so I want to add D and E to make 1 large partition and not
to touch the C drive. I've already backed up everything that's on the D
drive.

How do I combine D and E to made 1 large partition without buying a program
such as Parition Magic?
--
Denise

~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

If you delete D, the space (D+E) will be non allocated. Just rightclick on it
and create a new partition and format. The new partition is as big as D plus
E were.

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
Core 2 Extreme X6800

"Denise" wrote:

> The drive consists of C, D and E. I have everything backed up that on my D
> drive. If I delete the D drive, won't the same thing happen, where it
> becomes inaccesible space on the drive? That's what happened when I deleted
> the E drive.
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.
>

> "Maratonmannen" wrote:
>
> > You canĀ“t do that with the Disk Management in XP. You have to go Vista for
> > that option.
> > If you have backed up everything on D, you may delete the D + E partitions
> > and then you have 1 large. Or buy PM.
> >
> > --
> > Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> > Core 2 Extreme X6800
> > RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0
> > 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> > GeForce 8800GTX (97.92+101.41)
> > Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
> > LAN 100/100
> > XP x64 dualboot Vista x64
> >

> > "Denise" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I installed Windows X64, I partitioned my hard drive so that it would
> > > have 3 partitions. I now want to delete one of the partitions. I did a
> > > Microsoft search and found that I needed to go into Disk Management, right
> > > click on the partition, and click delete. I did that but it didn't remove
> > > the partition. It's still there but can't be accessed.
> > >
> > > My computer consists of my C drive where all of my programs are located.
> > > The D drive contains files that I use. The E drive was empty and I couldn't
> > > fine a use for it, so I want to add D and E to make 1 large partition and not
> > > to touch the C drive. I've already backed up everything that's on the D
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > How do I combine D and E to made 1 large partition without buying a program
> > > such as Parition Magic?
> > > --
> > > Denise
> > >
> > > ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

R. C. White, MVP

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> When I installed Windows X64, I partitioned my hard drive so that it would
> have 3 partitions. I now want to delete one of the partitions. I did a
> Microsoft search and found that I needed to go into Disk Management, right
> click on the partition, and click delete. I did that but it didn't remove
> the partition. It's still there but can't be accessed.
>
> My computer consists of my C drive where all of my programs are located.
> The D drive contains files that I use. The E drive was empty and I
> couldn't
> fine a use for it, so I want to add D and E to make 1 large partition and
> not
> to touch the C drive. I've already backed up everything that's on the D
> drive.
>
> How do I combine D and E to made 1 large partition without buying a
> program
> such as Parition Magic?
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're
> going.

R. C. White, MVP

Whoops! I think I just sent a blank message. Sorry!

Hi, Denise.

You said "Windows X64". I assume you mean Windows XP x64. The Windows
Vista x64 (and x86) version of Disk Management is more capable than WinXP,
but, since you've backed up your Drive D:, the job is easy with either
Windows version.

In Disk Management, first delete your Drive E:, then delete Drive D:. Then
create a new Drive D: using all the available space formerly used by both D:
and E:. Finally, restore (or copy) your backed-up files to the new Drive
D:.

Vista's Disk Management also includes a command to Extend Volume. With
this, you would not need to delete and recreate D:. After deleting E:, you
could simply Extend Volume D: to include the now-unallocated space formerly
used by E:. And you could do that WITHOUT having to backup and restore the
files on D:.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> When I installed Windows X64, I partitioned my hard drive so that it would
> have 3 partitions. I now want to delete one of the partitions. I did a
> Microsoft search and found that I needed to go into Disk Management, right
> click on the partition, and click delete. I did that but it didn't remove
> the partition. It's still there but can't be accessed.
>
> My computer consists of my C drive where all of my programs are located.
> The D drive contains files that I use. The E drive was empty and I
> couldn't
> fine a use for it, so I want to add D and E to make 1 large partition and
> not
> to touch the C drive. I've already backed up everything that's on the D
> drive.
>
> How do I combine D and E to made 1 large partition without buying a
> program
> such as Parition Magic?
> --
> Denise

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

I have Windows XP X64 so that the method given me by Maratonmannen worked
well for me.

It's good information that you've given people with Vista though.