Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MOBO/mouse funnies.

MOBO/mouse funnies.

ian field

news:9ZyOh.309$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Since the LED on the bottom of the mouse sometimes remained lit when the
>> PC was shut down I'm guessing its a MOBO problem,

> It's not a PROBLEM. It's supposed to work that way on boards that have
> "instant on" features. There is always power active in a PC with ATX power
> supplies - that's how the motherboard gets a signal from the "on" switch.
> So many motherboard manufacturers incorporated that idea into the mouse or
> keyboard (or both) so that with a proper keystroke or mouse button, the PC
> would power on.

You don't have to explain to me how an ATX PSU works - I used to repair them
for a living.

It occurred to me that it might be possible to start the PC by some action
on the mouse since the LED was lit with the PC shut down
, but I clicked the buttons and spun the scroll wheel (which also clicks if
pressed) but nothing happened, my suspicions were aroused by the fact the
underneath LED went out when I started the PC with the power button so I had
to shut it down and re-start it again before the mouse worked - then the
mouse packed up after a few minutes work, which was when I decided to try
swapping the 2 plugs over.

As I said in other posts, there are other signs of flaky operation like
Explorer and Acrobat reader keep crashing. Another program that gives
trouble is Ultimate Zip, the first few times I open a file it works fine
then any attempt to act on the contents results in a freeze up and the PC
has to be rebooted *AGAIN*!

It definitely looks like a failing MOBO to me, its only used for sorting &
storing pdf data sheets so I needn't spend a fortune on a high spec
replacement.

Walter Mautner

ian field wrote:

> Well I seem to have got away with it, I have a USB mouse if its needed but
> some programs I use regularly are crashing more often than you'd expect
> with a Win-ME machine, so I'm thinking the MOBO might be in the early
> stages of death throes!

Well, with ME you need luck to find usb drivers, and ME is known to
sacrifice stability for features, overburdening the (yet hidden) DOS 16bit
grounding. A machine which runs ME, most certainly will run w2k as well - a
much more stable OS (but not for gamers).
You may take a look at the capacitors around your cpu, for leaking
electrolyte or bulged caps. Or check your harddrive with a good s.m.a.r.t
monitoring tool, especially for reallocated_sector_count and other pre-fail
attributes. After confirming your drive is ok, run a "sfc /scannow".

ian field

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ian field wrote:
>
> ..
>> Well I seem to have got away with it, I have a USB mouse if its needed
>> but
>> some programs I use regularly are crashing more often than you'd expect
>> with a Win-ME machine, so I'm thinking the MOBO might be in the early
>> stages of death throes!

> Well, with ME you need luck to find usb drivers, and ME is known to
> sacrifice stability for features, overburdening the (yet hidden) DOS 16bit
> grounding. A machine which runs ME, most certainly will run w2k as well -
> much more stable OS (but not for gamers).
> You may take a look at the capacitors around your cpu, for leaking
> electrolyte or bulged caps. Or check your harddrive with a good s.m.a.r.t
> monitoring tool, especially for reallocated_sector_count and other
> pre-fail
> attributes. After confirming your drive is ok, run a "sfc /scannow".

Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps could
certainly explain flaky operation!

There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup to
catch any new ones that might develop.

Walter Mautner

ian field wrote:

> Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps could
> certainly explain flaky operation!
>
> There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
> problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
> running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup
> to catch any new ones that might develop.

You should notice that visibility of bad sectors means your harddrive has
already used up all hidden "spare sectors" and is about to quit any other
day. Also remember, bad sectors/toggled bits will be discovered only by
random, from read timeouts - and then the data there is almost certain
unrecoverable. A reliable detection of bad spots is only available on write
attempts, where the drive electronics can remap the failed sector and copy
the pending data elsewhere.
In cleartext this means, you may already have b0rken executables or dlls due
to harddrive failure, making your pc unstable.

ian field

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ian field wrote:

>> Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps
>> could
>> certainly explain flaky operation!
>>
>> There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
>> problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
>> running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup
>> to catch any new ones that might develop.

> You should notice that visibility of bad sectors means your harddrive has
> already used up all hidden "spare sectors" and is about to quit any other
> day. Also remember, bad sectors/toggled bits will be discovered only by
> random, from read timeouts - and then the data there is almost certain
> unrecoverable. A reliable detection of bad spots is only available on
> write
> attempts, where the drive electronics can remap the failed sector and copy
> the pending data elsewhere.
> In cleartext this means, you may already have b0rken executables or dlls
> due
> to harddrive failure, making your pc unstable.

The drive came from a refurb house (which I've since stopped using) so the
flaws don't surprise me, and I've had cause to return drives to them before.
Although NDD is one of the few Norton utilities that still actually works,
and it seemed to keep things in working order so far.

By a curious coincidence the mainboard came from that very refurb house -
they wanted a quantity of PCs assembled and I opted to keep one of the
machines instead of cash for doing the job, some of the components they
ordered were dud straight out of the box, and so far as I've heard they've
had a small number of mainboards die on them as well, although they have
hundreds of PCs lined up on racks soak testing drives, so heat buildup
becomes a problem and some board failures are inevitable.