Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox Options

Firefox Options

jim

"Evan Platt" wrote in message

You're the one who types like a 7 year old.
That's because I am only 6
Jim

Neil

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ZNeOh.14695$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet when
> I go back,it is blank .
> Any thoughts welcomed
> Jim

Mozilla Firefox OptionsPreferences

This document explains all of the optionspreferences available in the
OptionsPreferences window of Mozilla Firefox.

In this section:

* Main OptionsPreferences

* Tabs OptionsPreferences

* Content OptionsPreferences

* Feeds OptionsPreferences

* Privacy OptionsPreferences

* Security OptionsPreferences

* Advanced OptionsPreferences

Main OptionsPreferences

Startup

When you open Firefox, by default your home page is displayed. Your home page
might be a commonly-visited web site, a search engine, or perhaps your email
account, but the choice is up to you. You can change your home page or
choose to display a different page or set of pages on startup in this
section.

When Firefox starts

By default, when Firefox starts it opens your home page (listed in
the textbox immediately below), which corresponds to the Show my home
page option. Alternately, you can choose to display a blank page on
startup (perhaps to eliminate the time required to load that page from the
Internet) by selecting the Show a blank page option.

As a final alternative, you can have Firefox reopen the windows and
tabs you had open the last time you ran Firefox, effectively
restoring you to where you were when you last stopped browsing the Internet.
This can be a handy way of saving what you were doing when you close
Firefox, perhaps to install an operating system update. You can
choose this option by selecting Show my windows and tabs from last
time.

Home Page

If you've set Firefox to show your home page when you start
Firefox, you specify your home page by typing it here. You can
also click any of the buttons below the textbox to choose a special home
page:

* Use Current Page sets the currently-displayed page (or pages,
if you have multiple tabs open) as your home page

* Use Bookmark sets the selected bookmark (or if you select a
folder, the set of bookmarks in that folder) as your home page

* Restore to Default resets your home page to the default home
page

Downloads

This section contains optionspreferences determining how Firefox
downloads files.

Show the Downloads window when downloading a file

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will open the Downloads window when you start
downloading a file.

Close it when all downloads are finished

Select this optionpreference to have Firefox close the Downloads
window when all downloads currently in progress finish.

Save files to

By default downloaded files are automatically saved to the Desktop,
eliminating the hassle of specifying a download location for every file you
download. You can choose a different folder by clicking the Browse...Choose...
button.

Always ask me where to save files

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will ask you where
you would like to save every downloaded file (instead of using the default
location specified above).

System Defaults

Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on
startup

Select this option if you want Firefox to check whether it is the
default browser at startup. This will ensure Firefox is used
whenever an application tries to display a web page. You can also click the
Check Now button to do a check right now.

Tabs OptionsPreferences

New pages should be opened in:

This optionpreference controls whether links from other applications or from
web pages which request to open them in new windows are opened in a new
window or a new tab in the most recent window.

Note: If you have chosen to open pages in new tabs,
Firefox will ignore this optionpreference and will open a new window
from a link if the page author specified that the new window should have a
specific size, because some pages can only be displayed correctly at a
specific size.

Warn me when closing multiple tabs

When you close a window with multiple tabs, Firefox will ask you
to confirm your choice. This prevents you from accidentally closing the
whole window when you intended to only close the current tab. Uncheck this
optionpreference to disable this warning and have Firefox
automatically close the window.

Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down
Firefox

When you open a large number of tabs at once, Firefox will ask you
to confirm your choice. This prevents you from accidentally slowing down
your system while the pages are loading. Uncheck this optionpreference to
disable this warning.

Always show the tab bar

If you're only viewing one web page in a Firefox window, the tab
bar is not normally shown. Check this optionpreference to always show the tab
bar, including when only the Firefox window contains only one
page.

When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately

When you middle-click on a Web link (or hold down CtrlCmd while clicking
with the left mouse button), the page will be opened in a new tab. That page
will not be displayed and will load in a background tab. Check this
optionpreference to load and display the page in a new foreground tab
instead.

Content OptionsPreferences

Block Pop-up Windows

By default, Firefox blocks annoying pop-up windows on web sites.
Unchecking this optionpreference will disable pop-up blocking.

Some web sites make legitimate use of pop-up windows. Therefore, you can
allow these sites to open pop-ups anyway. To do so, click
Exceptions..., enter the site name, and click Allow. To
remove a web site from the list, select it and then click Remove
Site. To clear the list completely, click Remove All Sites.

Load images automatically

Firefox displays images in web pages by default. Uncheck this
optionpreference to disable images in web pages.

If you enable loading images automatically, the Exceptions...
button lets you select sites from which images will not automatically load.
The Exceptions... button lets you specify web sites that you wish
to load (or not load) regardless of the setting of this preference. In the
exceptions list, enter the site from which you want to allow or block images
and click Allow to allow images, or click Block to block
the images.

Enable JavaScript

JavaScript is a scripting language commonly used to make web pages
interactive. However, it also makes certain annoying behaviors much easier to
perform. To disable JavaScript, uncheck this optionpreference. However, note
that disabling JavaScript may cause some sites to not work properly. For more
fine-grained control over what JavaScript can and cannot do, click
Advanced....

Advanced JavaScript Settings

Move or resize existing windows

Uncheck this optionpreference to disable moving and resizing windows
using scripts.

Raise or lower windows

Uncheck this optionpreference to make sure scripts cannot raise (bring
to the front) or lower (send to the back) windows.

Disable or replace context menus

Uncheck this optionpreference to prevent web pages from disabling or
changing the Firefox context menu.

Hide the status bar

Uncheck this optionpreference to force the status bar to be displayed in
pop-up windows.

Change status bar text

Uncheck this optionpreference to disable changes to status bar text (such
as displaying scrolling text messages or preventing the link address from
being displayed while the mouse is over a link).

Enable Java

Java is a popular programming language for the Web. A single Java program
can run on many different kinds of computers, thus avoiding the need for
programmers to create a separate version of a program for each kind of
computer. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable Java applets in
Firefox. Note that in order for Java applets to work, you must
install the Java plugin.

Fonts & Colors

Default font and Size

Web pages are usually displayed in the font and size specified here.
However, web pages can override these choices unless you specify otherwise
in the Fonts dialog. Click the Advanced... button to access the
Fonts dialog and to change this and other fonts optionspreferences.

Fonts Dialog

1. From the Fonts for drop-down list, choose a language
group/script. For instance, to set default fonts for the West
European languages/scripts (Latin), choose Western. For a
language/script not in the list, choose Other Languages.

2. Select whether proportional text should be serif (like "Times
New Roman") or sans-serif (like "Arial"). Then specify
the font size you want for proportional text.

3. Specify the font to use for Serif, Sans-serif and Monospace fonts.
You can also change the size for Monospace fonts.

You can also set the minimum web page font size. This is useful to
prevent sites from use overly small fonts that are barely readable.

Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections
above

By default Firefox uses the fonts specified by the web page
author. Disabling this optionpreference will force all sites to use your
default fonts instead.

Character Encoding

The character encoding selected here will be used to display pages that
do not specify which encoding to use.

Colors Dialog

Text and Background

Here you can change the default text and background color to be used on
web pages that haven't specified that information. Click on the color
samples to select colors.

Use system colors

Check this optionpreference to use the colors defined in your operating
system settings instead of the colors specified above.

Link Colors

Here you can change the default colors for Web links. Click on the color
samples to select colors.

Underline links

By default, links are underlined on web pages. Uncheck this optionpreference
to disable this. Note that many sites specify their own styling rules
and this optionpreference has no effect on those sites.

Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections
above

By default, Firefox uses the colors specified by the web page
author. Disabling this optionpreference will force all sites to use your
default colors instead.

File Types

The Download Actions dialog, which can be opened by clicking the
Manage... button, contains file types that you have downloaded.
You can choose what Firefox should do when clicking on a specific
file type by selecting the file type you want to modify and clicking the
Change Action... button.

This will display the Change Action dialog, where you can choose to have
the file type opened by the default application, opened by a particular
application, saved to disk, or shown with an installed plugin. For example,
if you view lots of media files on web pages, you might want to specify that
Firefox always open media files in your media player instead of
asking where you want each media file to be saved.

* Open them with the default application:

Select this optionpreference to open this file type in the default
application for that file type (determined by the operating system).

* Open them with this application:

Select this optionpreference to specify another application that should
handle this file type. You will see a dialog asking you to specify the
application to use.

* Save them on my computer:

This optionpreference will save the files to disk (automatically if you
have selected the Save files to optionpreference in the
Main panel).

* Use this Plugin:

Select this optionpreference to let a plugin handle this file type.

Feeds OptionsPreferences

Feeds are specially formatted documents which summarize the content of web
sites. For example, a feed might summarize the latest news headlines from a
news site or the latest posts on a blog. You can view the content of feeds in
Firefox, create Live Bookmarks for them, or add them to a feed reader
on your computer or on the Web. The optionspreferences in this pane determine what
Firefox does when you view a feed.

Show me a preview and ask me which Feed Reader to use

When you view a feed within Firefox, you will be shown a preview of
its contents. With this optionpreference selected, you are always given a
choice of what you would like to use to subscribe to the feed at the top of
the preview page.

Subscribe to the feed using

Instead of displaying a preview of the feed when you view one, you can have
the feed be opened directly in a feed reader by selecting a reader from the
list of available readers. You can choose to use an application on your
computer to subscribe to feeds by clicking the Choose Application...
button and finding the application on your computer. Alternately, you can
choose to automatically subscribe to feeds by saving them as Live Bookmarks.
To choose a subscription method, simply select it from the list.

Privacy OptionsPreferences

History

Remember visited pages for the last ... days

Here you can specify how long you want Firefox to remember what
pages you have visited. The default is 9 days.

Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar

When you enter information in web forms or the search bar in
Firefox, that information is saved so that Firefox can
give suggestions when you enter information in forms in the future. To stop
this behavior, uncheck this optionpreference.

Remember what I've downloaded

This optionpreference controls whether or not past downloads show up in the
Downloads window. The Downloads window (accessible from Tools or by pressing CtrlCmd+JCtrlCmd+Y) displays a list of your recent
downloads. Downloads optionspreferences are available in the Main panel.

Cookies

A cookie is a file created by a web site that stores information on your
computer, such as site-specific preferences when visiting that site.

Accept cookies from sites

By default cookies are enabled. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable the
use of cookies. Note that some sites may not work properly when cookies are
disabled.

Keep until:

* they expire

This is the default optionpreference. When set, this allows websites to
specify how long a cookie will be stored by Firefox. This makes
it possible for a site to remember your preferences and login information
across browser sessions.

* I close Firefox

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will remove all
stored cookies when closed.

* ask me every time

With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will ask you how long
you would like to keep a cookie (or refuse it entirely) every time a web
site attempts to set one.

To control which sites may or may not set cookies, click the
Exceptions... button.

To display the Cookie Manager click Show Cookies....

Learn more about cookies, the individual optionspreferences, and how you can
gain control over what sites are allowed to store cookies on your computer
by reading about Managing Cookies.

Private Data

Always clear my private data when I close Firefox

You can choose to have Firefox clear your private data when you
close it. To configure what data is cleared, click the Settings...
button.

Ask me before clearing private data

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will ask you before
automatically clearing the data specified by clicking
Settings....

If you wish to clear your private data right now, you can click the
Clear Now... button to do so. To clear your private data from
outside the preferences dialog, either press CtrlCmd+Shift+Del
or select Tools > Clear Private Data....

Security OptionsPreferences

Warn me when sites try to install add-ons

Firefox will always ask you to confirm installations of add-ons.
To prevent unrequested installation prompts which may lead to accidental
installations, Firefox warns you when a web site tries to install
an add-on and blocks the installation prompt. To allow installations from
a specific site, click Exceptions..., enter the site name, and click
Allow. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable the warning for all
sites.

Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

Check this optionpreference if you want Firefox to actively check
whether the site you are visiting may be an attempt to mislead you into
providing personal information (this is often referred to as phishing).

Check using a downloaded list of suspected sites

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will check the current
site against a frequently updated list stored on your computer. No data about
the sites you visit is transferred to third-party anti-phishing providers
during normal browsing. Since phishing techniques and sites evolve quickly,
this mode of protection may not be as effective as having an anti-phishing
provider check every site you visit.

Check by asking ... about each site I visit

With this optionpreference selected, Firefox will send the address of
the current page over an encrypted connection to the selected third-party
anti-phishing provider in order to verify its identity. This method offers the
greatest protection, but information such as your IP address and browser
version may be transfered and stored by the selected provider. You will be
prompted to review and agree to the selected data provider's privacy policy
after selecting this optionpreference.

Passwords

Remember passwords for sites

Firefox can securely save passwords you enter in web forms to
make it easier to log on to web sites. Clear this checkbox to prevent
Firefox from remembering your passwords.

Even with this optionpreference checked, however, you'll still be asked
whether to save passwords for a site when you first visit it. If you select
Never for This Site, that site will be added to an exceptions list.
To access that list or to remove sites from it, click the
Exceptions... button.

Use a master password

Firefox can protect sensitive information such as saved passwords
and certificates by encrypting them using a master password. If you create a
master password, each time you start Firefox, it will ask you to enter
the password the first time it needs to access a certificate or stored
password. You can set, change, or remove the master password by
by checking or unchecking this optionpreference or by clicking the
Change Master Password... button. If a master password is already
set, you will need to enter it in order to change or remove the master password.

Show Passwords...

You can manage saved passwords and delete individual passwords by clicking
the View Saved Passwords button.

Warning Messages

Click the Settings... button to configure the security warnings
Firefox displays while you browse the web.

Security Warnings Dialog

I am about to view an encrypted page

When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will notify you
every time you are about to view an encrypted page.

I am about to view a page that uses low-grade encryption

With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you when
you visit a page which uses low-grade encryption.

I leave an encrypted page for one that isn't encrypted

With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you
every time you move from an encrypted page to an unencrypted page either
by selecting a link on the page, selecting a bookmark or typing a new
address into the location bar.

I submit information that's not encrypted

When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will warn you
when you submit data via a form that's not encrypted.

I'm about to view an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted
information

With this optionpreference enabled, Firefox will warn you when
the page you're viewing contains a mixture of encrypted and
unencrypted content. If an encrypted page contains unencrypted data,
you should verify the identity of the page you're viewing prior to
entering sensitive data.

Advanced OptionsPreferences

The advanced panel contains many optionspreferences that are less likely to be
used by most people but are useful and sometimes critical optionspreferences for
some people.

General tab

Accessibility

Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will display a
movable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the
keyboard. You can toggle this mode by pressing F7.

Search for text when I start typing

When this optionpreference is enabled, Firefox will find within
the current web page what you type as you type it. While you are finding
typed text in the page, the Find Toolbar will automatically display at the
bottom of the window to show information about what you've found.

Browsing

Use autoscrolling

Autoscrolling is a useful feature which allows you to scroll the page by
clicking the middle mouse button (usually the scroll wheel) and moving the
mouse up or down. Some people find this annoying, so autoscrolling can be
disabled with this optionpreference.

Use smooth scrolling

Smooth scrolling can be very useful if you read a lot of long pages.
Normally, when you press Page Down, the view jumps directly
down one page. With smooth scrolling, it slides down smoothly, so you can
see how much it scrolls. This makes it easier to resume reading from where
you were before.

Check my spelling as I type

When this preference is enabled, Firefox will check your spelling
and offer possible corrections as you type in web forms. Note that you
may need to download a dictionary; to do so, right-clickpress Ctrl and
click on any text field, enable spellchecking if necessary, and
then use the provided Languages menu to
download a dictionary.

Languages

Some web pages are offered in more than one language. Click the
Choose... button to specify your preferred language or
languages.

Languages Dialog

To add a language, click Select a language to add..., choose the
language, and click the Add button. Remove a language by
selecting it in the list of active languages and clicking the
Remove button. You can also reorder languages using the Move
Up and Move Down buttons to determine the most preferred one
in case a page is provided in multiple languages .

Network tab

Connection

Your organization or Internet service provider may offer or require you
to use a proxy. A proxy acts as an intermediary between your computer and
the Internet. It intercepts all requests to the Internet to see if it can
fulfill the request using its cache. Proxies are used to improve
performance, filter requests, and hide your computer from the Internet to
improve security. Proxies are often part of corporate firewalls.

Connection Settings Dialog

Direct connection to the Internet

This is the default optionpreference. Choose this if you don't want
to use a proxy.

Auto-detect proxy settings for this network

Choose this if you want Firefox to automatically detect the
proxy settings for your network.

Manual proxy configuration

Choose this if you don't have a proxy location (URL). Ask your
system administrator for the names and port numbers of the servers
running proxy software for each network service and enter the
information in the appropriate fields.

Automatic proxy configuration URL

If your workplace has a proxy configuration file, ask the system
administrator for its URL and enter it here. Click Reload to
load the settings.

Cache

Pages you view are normally stored in a special cache folder for quicker
viewing the next time you visit the same page. You can specify the amount
of disk space the cache can use here. You can also immediately clear
the contents of the cache.

Use up to ... MB of space for the cache

Allows you to specify the maximum size, in megabytes, of the cache on
your computer.

Clear Now

Immediately clears the current contents of the cache, freeing the disk
space used by the cache.

Update tab

Firefox can check whether updates to installed add-ons or to
Firefox itself are available.

Automatically check for updates to:

By default Firefox automatically checks for updates to itself, to
add-ons, and to search engines so you'll always know you have the most
up-to-date version. You can change this behavior by changing the
appropriate checkboxes here.

When updates to Firefox are found,

Ask me what I want to do

Updates to Firefox are installed automatically by default.
Select this optionpreference to manually control how and when updates are
installed.

Automatically download and install the update

When this optionpreference is selected, Firefox updates will
be automatically downloaded and will be installed the next time
Firefox is restarted. The Warn me if this will disable any
of my add-ons optionpreference determines whether you will be warned
before the installation of an update which would require an incompatible
add-on to be disabled because no newer, compatible version exists. The
warning will allow you to postpone installation of the update, though at
the expense of improvements included in it.

If all extensions and themes are compatible or can be updated to be
compatible, the Firefox update will be installed. Upon restart
you will be asked to install any needed add-on updates so that you can
continue to use them.

Show Update History

Firefox automatically records the updates you have installed.
You can view information about these updates by clicking this button.

Note: You must be running Firefox as
an administratorroot
or as the user who originally installed Firefox
to install Firefox updates.

Encryption tab

Protocols

Use SSL 3.0

Specifies whether you want to send and receive secured information through
SSL3 (Secure Sockets Layer, Level 3), a standard protocol for
communicating securely with web sites. Disabling it will prevent you from
visiting some sites.

Use TLS 1.0

Specifies whether you want to send and receive secured information through
TLS (Transport Layer Security), a security standard similar to SSL3
(Secure Sockets Layer). Disabling it will prevent you from visiting some
sites.

Certificates

Certificates help perform encryption and decryption of connections to
secure sites.

When a web site requires a certificate:

When a web site requests a secure connection, Firefox will by
default automatically use an appropriate certificate. If you wish to
manually choose a certificate (for example, if you wish to use a certain
type of encryption instead of what is automatically selected), select the
optionpreference Ask me every time and you'll be in complete
control of what certificates you use while browsing.

View Certificates

Click this button to view stored certificates, import new certificates,
and back up or delete old certificates in Firefox.

Revocation Lists

Firefox can use Certificate Revocation Lists (also known as
CRLs) to ensure that your certificates are always valid. Click the
Revocation Lists button to manage the CRLs installed on your
computer.

Verification

Firefox can verify the validity of your certificates using OCSP
(Online Certificate Status Protocol) every time they are viewed or used.
Firefox does not use OCSP by default, but if you want to enable
it, you can do so here. You will most likely only need to change this if
your Internet environment requires it.

Security Devices

Security devices can encrypt and decrypt connections and store
certificates and passwords. If you need to use a security device other
than the one in Firefox, click the Security Devices
button.

Copyright 2003-2007 Contributors to the Mozilla Help Viewer Project.

jim

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote in
message <news:ZNeOh.14695$(E-Mail Removed)> ...

> what I enter in forms and search bar is checked in Firefox Options, yet
> when

> I go back,it is blank .

> Any thoughts welcomed

> Jim

Neil Wrote.......

Mozilla Firefox OptionsPreferences

This document explains all of the optionspreferences available in the

OptionsPreferences window of Mozilla Firefox.

"Always clear my private data when I close firefox "is unchecked

"Remember what I enter in forms and search bar " is checked .

Still a mystery.

Thanks Neil