Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > desktop search

desktop search

Beverly

I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find
files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?

I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.

Thanks, Bev

Aardvark

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:28:40 -0700, Beverly wrote:

> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
> it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
> extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find
> files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>
> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
> of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
> any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>
> Thanks, Bev

Doesn't Windoze have a built-in file search facility? Beats me why people
clutter their boxes up with **** when the OS provides tools to perform the
functions required just as well as third-party ****.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Jason Shoemake

Beverly wrote:
> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
> it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
> extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find
> files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>
> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
> of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
> any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>
> Thanks, Bev

You can search using windows use *.extension like *.doc or *.mp3. this
will find all files with said extension..

Beverly

Aardvark wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:28:40 -0700, Beverly wrote:
>
>> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
>> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
>> it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
>> extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find
>> files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>>
>> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
>> of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
>> any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>>
>> Thanks, Bev

> Doesn't Windoze have a built-in file search facility? Beats me why people
> clutter their boxes up with **** when the OS provides tools to perform the
> functions required just as well as third-party ****.

It does, but it really sucks when it comes to searching five disks, and
will never stop running. Not to mention it is very slow, and that I've
disabled file indexing on xp. I'm glad you are amazed, I wouldn't think
a linux proponent would be amazed by anything.

Thanks, Bev

Beverly

Jason Shoemake wrote:
> Beverly wrote:
>> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
>> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now
>> that it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
>> extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I
>> find files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>>
>> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
>> of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
>> any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>>
>> Thanks, Bev

> You can search using windows use *.extension like *.doc or *.mp3. this
> will find all files with said extension..

It certainly should, but it doesn't.

Thanks, Bev

Aardvark

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:54:48 -0700, Beverly wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:28:40 -0700, Beverly wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
>>> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
>>> it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by
>>> extension, and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find
>>> files that I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>>>
>>> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type
>>> of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of
>>> any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bev

>> Doesn't Windoze have a built-in file search facility? Beats me why people
>> clutter their boxes up with **** when the OS provides tools to perform the
>> functions required just as well as third-party ****.
>>

> It does, but it really sucks when it comes to searching five disks, and
> will never stop running. Not to mention it is very slow, and that I've
> disabled file indexing on xp. I'm glad you are amazed, I wouldn't think
> a linux proponent would be amazed by anything.
>
> Thanks, Bev

No idea what you mean by that.

Even on my Windoze boxes (yes I do have one or two or three) I refuse to
have anything Yahoo installed. Funny thing is I can't remember for the
life of me why I have this antipathy towards Yahoo.

Must have had trouble uninstalling something Yahoo from one of my own or
someone else's PC at some time in the past.

Recently had a friend who wanted help with her PC and on opening her web
browser to go online saw that she must have had every search bar under the
sun installed- including one or two I recognised as malware. She refused
to let me uninstall all the **** and leave her with just Google toolbar,
saying she needed them all. Go figure.

I told her I couldn't do anything to speed up her PC until she will let me
romove stuff she doesn't need and that slows her system down. She refused
and asked me if there was anything else I could do instead. I said no,
phone me when you're ready.

It's that sort of attitude I think of when people mention using
third-party utilities, so please excuse my original brusqueness.

--

Aardvark wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:54:48 -0700, Beverly wrote:
>
>> Aardvark wrote:

>>> Doesn't Windoze have a built-in file search facility? Beats me why people
>>> clutter their boxes up with **** when the OS provides tools to perform the
>>> functions required just as well as third-party ****.
>>>

>> It does, but it really sucks when it comes to searching five disks, and
>> will never stop running. Not to mention it is very slow, and that I've
>> disabled file indexing on xp. I'm glad you are amazed, I wouldn't think
>> a linux proponent would be amazed by anything.
>>
>> Thanks, Bev

> No idea what you mean by that.
>
> Even on my Windoze boxes (yes I do have one or two or three) I refuse to
> have anything Yahoo installed. Funny thing is I can't remember for the
> life of me why I have this antipathy towards Yahoo.
>
> Must have had trouble uninstalling something Yahoo from one of my own or
> someone else's PC at some time in the past.
>
> Recently had a friend who wanted help with her PC and on opening her web
> browser to go online saw that she must have had every search bar under the
> sun installed- including one or two I recognised as malware. She refused
> to let me uninstall all the **** and leave her with just Google toolbar,
> saying she needed them all. Go figure.
>
> I told her I couldn't do anything to speed up her PC until she will let me
> romove stuff she doesn't need and that slows her system down. She refused
> and asked me if there was anything else I could do instead. I said no,
> phone me when you're ready.
>
> It's that sort of attitude I think of when people mention using
> third-party utilities, so please excuse my original brusqueness.

It's excused.

I know that yahoo and other providers like to install add-ons that one
doesn't want if they choose to install a particular one, but I've noted
that if you pay particular attention to installs, at least some of this
can be avoided. That is, if the maker has any integrity at all, or
doesn't want to get caught and have their reputation completely destroyed.

Thanks, Bev

Moog

"Beverly" illuminated the devils arse on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:28:40
-0700 by typing:

> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this
> type of search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you
> know of any better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about
> it.
>
> Thanks, Bev

copernic does this...doesn't it?

--
Moog

http://www.last.fm/user/efcmoog/
"Liquor in the Front. Poker in the Rear"

Thip

"Beverly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46096332$0$17936$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've tried just about all of the desktop search tools. I always liked
> yahoo's desktop search the best, it's functionality has changed now that
> it's called X1. I used to be able to search and find files by extension,
> and for me at least, that is the most common way that I find files that
> I'm looking for, am I missing something in X1?
>
> I'm wondering why, I guess, none of these search tools allow this type of
> search easily, or why it isn't a prominent feature. If you know of any
> better ways to find files I'd sure be happy to know about it.
>
> Thanks, Bev

I've got a tiny little app that's just called "find.exe." I have NO idea
where I got it, and after a bit of Googling it didn't show up. It's very
speedy, you can check/uncheck which drives to search, and it does all sorts
of wildcard searches. If you want to e-mail be at ksbwhiteATgmailDOTcom,
I'll be glad to send it to you. Be warned--on first use you have to stretch
the results box manually to see them, but after that it works like a champ.