Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Time Warp?

Time Warp?

Tony Sperling

Hi,

Earlier this week my machine forwarded the clock one hour - I assume in
respons to the US DST. I have not been able to reset the time - I'm in
Denmark and our local DST happened this morning, when the clock was promptly
forwarded another hour.

I have the router set to recieve a timing signal - it only accepts a signal
from the mivrosoft NTP server, at the moment I am a bit confused as how to
resolve this predicament, as it doesn't happen often enough to leave any
lasting experince. Last year the DST was also triggered out of order, as I
remember, but only once.

Any ideas, anyone?

Tony. . .

John Barnes

DST began on the 11th in the US and all my systems added the hour that day.
Total 3 hours for my triple boot machine.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Earlier this week my machine forwarded the clock one hour - I assume in
> respons to the US DST. I have not been able to reset the time - I'm in
> Denmark and our local DST happened this morning, when the clock was
> promptly
> forwarded another hour.
>
> I have the router set to recieve a timing signal - it only accepts a
> signal
> from the mivrosoft NTP server, at the moment I am a bit confused as how to
> resolve this predicament, as it doesn't happen often enough to leave any
> lasting experince. Last year the DST was also triggered out of order, as I
> remember, but only once.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Wow!

That's one heck of an efficient summer we've got ahead of us.

Yes, I do see how multi-booting could present an issue - but that was one of
the reasons why, some time last year, I turned on this option in the router.
I dare say, I hoped that would have taken care of it. Yet, if it did, I'm
still confused as to why it added an hour on both - and at separate dates -
occations, because that should be a whole different kind of issue
altogether?

Of the two machines (both dual-booting) that I checked today, one has the
correct adjustment of one hour happening today.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DST began on the 11th in the US and all my systems added the hour that

day.
> Total 3 hours for my triple boot machine.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Earlier this week my machine forwarded the clock one hour - I assume in
> > respons to the US DST. I have not been able to reset the time - I'm in
> > Denmark and our local DST happened this morning, when the clock was
> > promptly
> > forwarded another hour.
> >
> > I have the router set to recieve a timing signal - it only accepts a
> > signal
> > from the mivrosoft NTP server, at the moment I am a bit confused as how

> > resolve this predicament, as it doesn't happen often enough to leave any
> > lasting experince. Last year the DST was also triggered out of order, as

> > remember, but only once.
> >
> > Any ideas, anyone?
> >

> > Tony. . .

Dshai

Just a thought here, no inflection or insinuation intended, but on the
machine that added 2 hours, is it possible that one of the OS's is set for a
US time-zone by accident or mistake? Would this not possibly cause the error
you've experienced? As I said, just a thought...

--

Dshai

Life is only limited by those living it...

news:egr%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow!
>
> That's one heck of an efficient summer we've got ahead of us.
>
> Yes, I do see how multi-booting could present an issue - but that was one
> of
> the reasons why, some time last year, I turned on this option in the
> router.
> I dare say, I hoped that would have taken care of it. Yet, if it did, I'm
> still confused as to why it added an hour on both - and at separate
> dates -
> occations, because that should be a whole different kind of issue
> altogether?
>
> Of the two machines (both dual-booting) that I checked today, one has the
> correct adjustment of one hour happening today.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DST began on the 11th in the US and all my systems added the hour that

> day.
>> Total 3 hours for my triple boot machine.
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Earlier this week my machine forwarded the clock one hour - I assume in
>> > respons to the US DST. I have not been able to reset the time - I'm in
>> > Denmark and our local DST happened this morning, when the clock was
>> > promptly
>> > forwarded another hour.
>> >
>> > I have the router set to recieve a timing signal - it only accepts a
>> > signal
>> > from the mivrosoft NTP server, at the moment I am a bit confused as how

>> > resolve this predicament, as it doesn't happen often enough to leave
>> > any
>> > lasting experince. Last year the DST was also triggered out of order,
>> > as

>> > remember, but only once.
>> >
>> > Any ideas, anyone?
>> >

>> > Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Well, that is one thing I didn't consider - it's not a bad idea, either.
Traditionally, various stuff that you installed had the good tact to look at
your Windows version before presenting any on-screen info that was language
dependent - nowadays, nobody gives a ****, they just go by your location, so
I may have done something of the sort to avoid the most idioticly brainless
attempts at translating what is essentially 'argot'.

In the 'good old days' there was a much used term 'computerese', that nobody
uses any more. When a French, German and Spanish speaking person is
confronted with a Computer, he thinks the language and the terminology is
English, and will ask for a translation, nobody tells him that an English
speaking person is confronted with exactly the same language barrier. What
everybody needs is an introduction and explanation to the argot in their own
language.

With every Computer oriented advertisement, the idea is imprinted that this
is like buying a 'fridge' or a 'telly' - plug it in, put in a six-pack, and
in half an hour you'll have cold beer - nothing prepares them that this is
actually more difficult and takes much more effort than learning to drive a
car, for which they'll gladly pay a month's wages. Then try and explain that
they'll need to learn a whole new language. . .( i.e. - the argot!)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rant, but so much hard earned knowledge is being
wasted today. . .and the rest of us are left with no instructions on how to
avoid exposure from the idiocy. (Hrmph - Growl!)

Thanks, though! I'll go have a look at this, could turn out to be helpfull
in September. (Or is that October, now? This whole DST affair, that's it's
own form of Idiocy entirely.)

Tony. . .