Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64/32 network

64/32 network

BSvK

Has anybody tried to set up a network between computer running WindowsXP x64
and a computer running WindowsXP Home edition ? In my case Internet sharing
works fine but I cannot get file and printer sharing to work. Ping between
these to computers works OK (address or name) but none sees the other on the
network. Strangely enough file and printer sharing between computer with
WindowsXP x64 and a 32 bit computer running Linux Ubuntu works OK although
WindowsXP 64x also does not show Linux computer on the network. I have tried
to disable firewalls and DCOM but it is still the same. I just do not
understand what is going on. Can anybody help with some explanation ?

S.SubZero

It should work as long as Client for Microsoft Networks is installed
and working. There is nothing special to XP64 networking, it works
identical to XP 32-bit or Win2K3. Are you getting an error of some
kind?

Kue2

Try this
If u have SSID disabled, enabled it.You can disable again after computers
are visible.

"BSvK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anybody tried to set up a network between computer running WindowsXP
> x64 and a computer running WindowsXP Home edition ? In my case Internet
> sharing works fine but I cannot get file and printer sharing to work. Ping
> between these to computers works OK (address or name) but none sees the
> other on the network. Strangely enough file and printer sharing between
> computer with WindowsXP x64 and a 32 bit computer running Linux Ubuntu
> works OK although WindowsXP 64x also does not show Linux computer on the
> network. I have tried to disable firewalls and DCOM but it is still the
> same. I just do not understand what is going on. Can anybody help with
> some explanation ?

BSvK

"BSvK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anybody tried to set up a network between computer running WindowsXP
> x64 and a computer running WindowsXP Home edition ? In my case Internet
> sharing works fine but I cannot get file and printer sharing to work. Ping
> between these to computers works OK (address or name) but none sees the
> other on the network. Strangely enough file and printer sharing between
> computer with WindowsXP x64 and a 32 bit computer running Linux Ubuntu
> works OK although WindowsXP 64x also does not show Linux computer on the
> network. I have tried to disable firewalls and DCOM but it is still the
> same. I just do not understand what is going on. Can anybody help with
> some explanation ?

I have finally managed to make it work. It required activation of LMhosts. I
believed that this was already obsolete and not needed for WindowsXP.

S.SubZero

On Mar 24, 1:17 pm, "BSvK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "BSvK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> I have finally managed to make it work. It required activation of LMhosts. I
> believed that this was already obsolete and not needed for WindowsXP.

It certainly is NOT needed under any circumstance I have ever
encountered. Perhaps your network setup is such that requires it?