Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Nero SmartStart, still a "frame"

Nero SmartStart, still a "frame"

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1 with
its Smartstart application.
Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
You can see your desktop through it.
Has anybody else this problem?
Has anybody a workaround?
(Vista x64)

Carlos

Jane C

I finally relented and installed the trial of 7.7.5.1. StartSmart has a
solid frame and transparent window, matched to the shade of my Aero glass,
but all the icons and options appear as normal in the window. Vista x64.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> with
> its Smartstart application.
> Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> You can see your desktop through it.
> Has anybody else this problem?
> Has anybody a workaround?
> (Vista x64)
>
> Carlos

John E

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> with
> its Smartstart application.
> Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> You can see your desktop through it.
> Has anybody else this problem?
> Has anybody a workaround?
> (Vista x64)
>
> Carlos

I have the same problem. I have not discovered a work-around. I wondered if
it might be a graphics card/driver issue. I have a nVidia card (6800GT) and
I'm using the driver 101.41.

John.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

I doubt it is hardware/driver related.
I have seen this problem on two quite different PC's.
One with NForce4 and NV7600GT (PCI-e) and another one with NForce3-250 and
XT1600Pro (AGP).
Carlos

"John E" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> > with
> > its Smartstart application.
> > Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> > Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> > You can see your desktop through it.
> > Has anybody else this problem?
> > Has anybody a workaround?
> > (Vista x64)
> >
> > Carlos

> I have the same problem. I have not discovered a work-around. I wondered if
> it might be a graphics card/driver issue. I have a nVidia card (6800GT) and
> I'm using the driver 101.41.
>
> John.

John E

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John E" wrote:

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
>> > with
>> > its Smartstart application.
>> > Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
>> > Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent
>> > window.
>> > You can see your desktop through it.
>> > Has anybody else this problem?
>> > Has anybody a workaround?
>> > (Vista x64)
>> >
>> > Carlos

>> I have the same problem. I have not discovered a work-around. I wondered
>> if
>> it might be a graphics card/driver issue. I have a nVidia card (6800GT)
>> and
>> I'm using the driver 101.41.
>>
>> John.
>>

>I doubt it is hardware/driver related.
> I have seen this problem on two quite different PC's.
> One with NForce4 and NV7600GT (PCI-e) and another one with NForce3-250 and
> XT1600Pro (AGP).

> Carlos

I've copied this thread to Nero support. Maybe they will take notice of the
issue.

John.

Dennis Pack

Carlos:
I had the same problem, but it isn't present currently. I
uninstalled Nero, then used the Nero clean-up tool, then did a custom
installation dropping Nero Home and Mobile. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> with
> its Smartstart application.
> Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> You can see your desktop through it.
> Has anybody else this problem?
> Has anybody a workaround?
> (Vista x64)
>
> Carlos

Kue2

Carlos:
Did u do a clean install.........Nero website recommends a clean
install.......it solved my problems with Nero home. Smartstart looks ok
here.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> with
> its Smartstart application.
> Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> You can see your desktop through it.
> Has anybody else this problem?
> Has anybody a workaround?
> (Vista x64)
>
> Carlos

John E

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlos:
> Did u do a clean install.........Nero website recommends a clean
> install.......it solved my problems with Nero home. Smartstart looks ok
> here.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
>> with
>> its Smartstart application.
>> Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
>> Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
>> You can see your desktop through it.
>> Has anybody else this problem?
>> Has anybody a workaround?
>> (Vista x64)
>>
>> Carlos

Well, I certainly did a clean install and had exactly that problem. I am
currently trying Dennis' advice and doing a clean up (at least when Nero's
web site will allow me to download the utility) and doing a fresh install.

John.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Nope.
But v.7.7.5.1 was certainly a clean install and had that problem.
v7.8.5.0 was installed as an upgrade.
Guess I'll have to wipe out Nero (uninstall + clean-up tool) and install it
from scratch.
Carlos

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> Carlos:
> I had the same problem, but it isn't present currently. I
> uninstalled Nero, then used the Nero clean-up tool, then did a custom
> installation dropping Nero Home and Mobile. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office2007
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Newer version of Nero (7.8.5.0) has still the same problem as v7.7.5.1
> > with
> > its Smartstart application.
> > Launch it, and you will only see a "frame".
> > Just the frame of a window but nothing inside, like a transparent window.
> > You can see your desktop through it.
> > Has anybody else this problem?
> > Has anybody a workaround?
> > (Vista x64)
> >
> > Carlos

Tom Ferguson

Check the font size you use for the screen. If you have changed the
default to a larger size, this problem will occur.

Control Panel Adjust font size from left bar. Set to default scale.

It was supposed to be fixed by Ahead in the "next" version i.e. 7.7.5.1.
Go figure

Tom
MSMVP
Windows shell/User