Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Nero updated to v7.8.5.0

Nero updated to v7.8.5.0

David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They have the following section, so it is covered. Sorry, there
> was no hit on 'thingie' so you are on your own there
>
> Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®

Hey, thanks, but it's a costly experiment. I'll wait a bit I think. I
was a bit disappointed to find out that Nero claims to work in Vista 64
and then lists all the applications that will NOT work.

I'm afraid Roxio might be the same.... does that "burning labels"
section appear in Vista 64 or only on their website or only in Vista
32?

I've used Roxio in the past but prefer Nero so if there's ANY drawback
to Roxio I won't get it and the LightScribe thingy is a deal breaker, I
use it a bunch in XP, all my MSDN CDs/DVDs have the product key burned
into the label!

BTW, it's possible "thingy" was too technical a term for Roxio? <G>

John Barnes

They seem to have their act together with the new Easy Media Creator 9.
Everything seems to work well on Vista64 which I use. I use Drag-to-disk
frequently myself. I drag certain files there daily to use for backups.
Not as useful to me now that Vista has the shadow copies to restore. Colin
convinced me to buy it, and if you look around you can get it quite
reasonably. Some on the Vista site got it free after rebates and everyone
seem satisfied. I am.

"David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> They have the following section, so it is covered. Sorry, there
>> was no hit on 'thingie' so you are on your own there
>>
>> Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®

> Hey, thanks, but it's a costly experiment. I'll wait a bit I think. I
> was a bit disappointed to find out that Nero claims to work in Vista 64
> and then lists all the applications that will NOT work.
>
> I'm afraid Roxio might be the same.... does that "burning labels"
> section appear in Vista 64 or only on their website or only in Vista
> 32?
>
> I've used Roxio in the past but prefer Nero so if there's ANY drawback
> to Roxio I won't get it and the LightScribe thingy is a deal breaker, I
> use it a bunch in XP, all my MSDN CDs/DVDs have the product key burned
> into the label!
>
> BTW, it's possible "thingy" was too technical a term for Roxio? <G>

David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They seem to have their act together with the new Easy Media
> Creator 9. Everything seems to work well on Vista64 which I use.
> I use Drag-to-disk frequently myself.

Thanks for the info, can you tell me if the LightScribe functions?

I emailed Roxio for answers but so far I've heard nothing.

Free? After rebates? Oh, that wouldn't apply as I don't have a Roxio
product to upgrade. <sigh>

I want to run over and grab a copy, unfortunately I have another
software program I'm concerned with, I have to finish TurboTax to find
out if I can afford Roxio! <sigh>

John Barnes

Roxio has always allowed competing product' upgrade rebates.
To qualify for the $20 upgrade/competitor mail-in rebate you must be a
licensed user of a
full retail box version product from one of the following publishers: Any
Roxio/Sonic
software; Nero, Ahead Software, Corel, Magix, Intervideo, Ulead, Nova
Development, Sony,
Me Too Software, Xoom, Cosmi, Adobe, Pinnacle, and Valusoft.

Buy.com has had it free after rebates early on, not now. I don't use
LightScribe, but here is the info from the help file

Burning labels onto discs using LightScribe®
LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling is an exciting disc labeling technology
that lets you to burn CD and DVD labels simply by flipping the discs over
and putting them back in the same disc drive that burned your data.
To burn a label on to a disc using LightScribe:
Create the label in Label Creator as you normally would. You can select one
of the following styles:
Quick Title: This style displays only the title and artist (for audio discs)
or date (for data discs). Use the Quick Title template for the fastest label
creation.
Quick Content: This style displays the title and contents of the disc. For
an audio disc, the contents are the track names, and for a data or MP3 disc,
the contents are the file names.
Or you can use a regular Label Creator style to include additional
information and graphics on your label.

Note: Using a style that includes graphics or a lot of text increases the
amount of time it takes to burn the label on to the disc. The Quick Title
and Quick Content styles take a few minutes to burn on to the disc, while a
graphical label can take much longer.

Insert the disc in the Lightscribe-capable recorder with the label side
facing down.
Click Print, or choose File > Print.
The Print dialog box appears.

From the Printer Name drop-down list, select the LightScribe-capable
recorder, if it is not already selected.
LightScribe provides three different contrast levels for you to choose from
when labeling your discs. For Printing Preferences, select Best, Normal, or
Draft quality.
The label burn time will increase from Draft to Normal to Best:

Best: Provides the sharpest contrast with the longest burn time. Use best
level for important business transaction, gifts and personal treasures.
Normal: Provides moderate burn time with good contrast. Use normal level for
professional labels.
Draft: Provides the fastest burn time with lowest contrast. Use draft level
for utility labels.
Enter the number of discs you want to burn labels to.
Click OK to begin burning the label to the disc.
The Burn Progress dialog box appears.

The label burn time varies with the amount of information contained on the
label, the placement of the information on the label, the contrast level
selected, the LightScribe disc used and the drive.

The LightScribe system burns the image in concentric, circular rings from
the inside diameter to the outside diameter of the label surface. Rings that
contain no image data are "skipped." A simple, circular title, such as a
Quick Title label, is accomplished most quickly because the information is
limited to a circular rings close to the inside diameter. The density of the
rings is adjusted according to the contrast level selection so higher
contrast is achieved through more densely packaged rings.

The LightScribe disc itself and the drive compatibilities also influence the
label burn time.
In all cases, the writing system runs in the background and you can go on to
other tasks while the label is burning.

> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> They seem to have their act together with the new Easy Media
>> Creator 9. Everything seems to work well on Vista64 which I use.
>> I use Drag-to-disk frequently myself.

> Thanks for the info, can you tell me if the LightScribe functions?
>
> I emailed Roxio for answers but so far I've heard nothing.
>
> Free? After rebates? Oh, that wouldn't apply as I don't have a Roxio
> product to upgrade. <sigh>
>
> I want to run over and grab a copy, unfortunately I have another
> software program I'm concerned with, I have to finish TurboTax to find
> out if I can afford Roxio! <sigh>

David R. Norton, MVP Shell/User

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Roxio has always allowed competing product' upgrade rebates.
> To qualify for the $20 upgrade/competitor mail-in rebate you must
> be a licensed user of a full retail box version product from one
> of the following publishers: Any Roxio/Sonic software; Nero, Ahead
> Software, Corel, Magix, Intervideo, Ulead, Nova Development, Sony,
> Me Too Software, Xoom, Cosmi, Adobe, Pinnacle, and Valusoft.

Thanks, that's good to know.

> Buy.com has had it free after rebates early on, not now. I don't
> use LightScribe, but here is the info from the help file

I'm guessing it'll work in 64 bit OSs but Roxio hasn't answered my
email yet. Since my discount coupon from Costco expired (shoulda
checked the ad before leaving town last weekend) there's no rush
because I'm not yet ready to use Vista as my sole OS, XP is still
filling that niche so I can wait and see what transpires with rebates,
discounts, etc. and keep on using Nero on XP.

Thanks again to all who have helped with this, looks like I'll be
moving to Roxio from Nero.

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:53:08 -0700, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ahead has updated its flagship product (Nero Burning ROM) to version 7.8.5.0

Have they fixed the dodgy interface problems in this one?

jud

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Jud:
They have certainly fixed the issue of Nero switching the theme from Aero to
basic.
Nero InCD still doesn't like x64.
Nero SmartStart (which I don't use) has display problems with screen fonts
larger than the normal 96 dpi.
All in all, what I regularly use (Burning and Nero Showtime) work flawlessly.
Carlos

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:53:08 -0700, Carlos
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Ahead has updated its flagship product (Nero Burning ROM) to version 7.8.5.0

> Have they fixed the dodgy interface problems in this one?
>
> jud

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:08:03 -0700, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jud:
>They have certainly fixed the issue of Nero switching the theme from Aero to
>basic.

That's not the one I was referring to. I sometimes rename files, and do
that the same way as in Windows, with F2, and use Home and End, but in
7.7.5 version, they introduced a new interface, where this didn't work
anymore (you specifically had to right-click and select Rename, instead of
simply pressing F2).

>Nero InCD still doesn't like x64.

Wonder if that will ever happen

>Nero SmartStart (which I don't use) has display problems with screen fonts
>larger than the normal 96 dpi.
>All in all, what I regularly use (Burning and Nero Showtime) work flawlessly.

Ah well, glad to hear for you Vista-heads, they fixed the Aero-interface
problem now

jud

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Jud:
Good news.
F2 works as usual (rename function) in 7.8.5.0.
Carlos

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:08:03 -0700, Carlos
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Jud:
> >They have certainly fixed the issue of Nero switching the theme from Aero to
> >basic.

> That's not the one I was referring to. I sometimes rename files, and do
> that the same way as in Windows, with F2, and use Home and End, but in
> 7.7.5 version, they introduced a new interface, where this didn't work
> anymore (you specifically had to right-click and select Rename, instead of
> simply pressing F2).
>
> >Nero InCD still doesn't like x64.

> Wonder if that will ever happen
>
> >Nero SmartStart (which I don't use) has display problems with screen fonts
> >larger than the normal 96 dpi.
> >All in all, what I regularly use (Burning and Nero Showtime) work flawlessly.

> Ah well, glad to hear for you Vista-heads, they fixed the Aero-interface
> problem now
>
> jud

Jud Hendrix

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:52:03 -0700, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jud:
>Good news.
>F2 works as usual (rename function) in 7.8.5.0.

Thanks for the update. Time for a download

jud