Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MIA: Default Gateway

MIA: Default Gateway

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEdXIFNlYXJjaGVy?=

Something funny happend today

I configured a dial-up connection on my Windows 2000 server (SP4). As soon as I connected to the remote party, I received an IP address on the Dial-up adapter by the remote DHCP server as aspected. The funny thing was that the default gateway on the LAN adapter disappeared! I can't figure out way! I need my local GW. However, I need the gateway on the dial-up adapter as well. If the option "Use gateway on remote network" is disabled, the LAN gateway doesn't disappear but then I don't get a gateway address on the dial-up adapter.

Help me out

"The GW Searcher" wrote

>Something funny happend today:
>
>I configured a dial-up connection on my Windows 2000

server (SP4). As soon as I connected to the remote party,
I received an IP address on the Dial-up adapter by the
remote DHCP server as aspected. The funny thing was that
the default gateway on the LAN adapter disappeared! I
can't figure out way! I need my local GW. However, I need
the gateway on the dial-up adapter as well. If the
option "Use gateway on remote network" is disabled, the
LAN gateway doesn't disappear but then I don't get a
gateway address on the dial-up adapter.

>Help me out!

Do you know what the "Default" in Default Gateway means?

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEdXIFNlYXJjaGVy?=

Come on you Guys! It can't be that hard!!!

Andy Foster

The GW Searcher" cried into his beer...

>Come on you Guys! It can't be that hard!!!

It's not. Although you seem to be having trouble with such
a simple concept?

Why will the nasty computer not let you have 2 DEFAULT
Gateways at the same time?

Perhaps you should replace the computer desk with a
routing table....

JaR

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:29:16 -0700, Andy Foster extemporised:

> Why will the nasty computer not let you have 2 DEFAULT
> Gateways at the same time?

It's a very technical term;

PEBKAC

HTH

JaR
Tech Thug

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEdXIFNlYXJjaGVy?=

This is REALLY helpfull. You might think I'm stupid, and that's alright, but I know what a routing table is. Windows should create a couple of dynamic routes as soon as I install a second gateway. De default (NULL) route should use exit interface 1. I know; BUT IT DOESN'T.

=?Utf-8?B?RHdheW5lIFdhZGU=?=

format c:\ /q