Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista's replacement for My Documents

Vista's replacement for My Documents

DP

Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save stuff.
I've forgotten the exact reason for that (maybe someone can jump in and
explain). I believe it had to do with what gets swept up when setting System
Restore points.

In Vista, there is a Documents folder, but not My Documents. Is the
Documents folder the safe place to save stuff now in terms of what System
Restore will save when a new restore point is set?

Jane C

Yes. C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents is the Vista equivalent of the old XP My
Documents.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save stuff.
> I've forgotten the exact reason for that (maybe someone can jump in and
> explain). I believe it had to do with what gets swept up when setting
> System Restore points.
>
> In Vista, there is a Documents folder, but not My Documents. Is the
> Documents folder the safe place to save stuff now in terms of what System
> Restore will save when a new restore point is set?

DP

Thanks, Jane.

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes. C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents is the Vista equivalent of the old XP My
> Documents.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
>> stuff. I've forgotten the exact reason for that (maybe someone can jump
>> in and explain). I believe it had to do with what gets swept up when
>> setting System Restore points.
>>
>> In Vista, there is a Documents folder, but not My Documents. Is the
>> Documents folder the safe place to save stuff now in terms of what System
>> Restore will save when a new restore point is set?

John Barnes

Except that My Documents used to contain the folders for My Pictures, My
Music, etc used to be included in My Documents and their replacements are
now separate higher level folders.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Jane.
>

> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes. C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents is the Vista equivalent of the old XP
>> My Documents.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
>>> stuff. I've forgotten the exact reason for that (maybe someone can jump
>>> in and explain). I believe it had to do with what gets swept up when
>>> setting System Restore points.
>>>
>>> In Vista, there is a Documents folder, but not My Documents. Is the
>>> Documents folder the safe place to save stuff now in terms of what
>>> System Restore will save when a new restore point is set?

Homer J. Simpson

> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save stuff.

I will have to disagree with that assertion.

I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS tried to
shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've resisted it for
years, and moaned and complained that I couldn't permanently delete that
useless folder since it was introduced in Windows 95.

Eventually I gave in, and created a 4.35GB partition and moved the My
Documents folder to it. The size is ideal (whatever'll fit on that
partition can be quickly backed up to a single DVD) and the relative small
size forces me not to let useless crap accumulate. The files I would
consider essential to back up before a reinstall right now total well under
2GB.

However nowadays there's so many poorly written programs that just dump all
their data to it without ever asking (or providing the means to change that)
that the My Documents folder has become essentially useless. I've now run
out of disk space on that 4.35GB partition (even though my own data still
totals under 2GB); after struggling with space for months, I just gave up on
the whole My Documents folder idea again, rerouted it back to its default
location on C:, and ignore it. I still have my 2GB worth of *my own* files
(and nothing else) in its own partition. I've lost the "benefit" of having
a one-button "My Documents" shortcut in every File Open/Save dialog box (the
only benefit, really), but at least I'm not dealing with useless third-party
crap I didn't create myself on my backup DVD.

This whole effort by MS to take it upon themselves to try to make the user's
life "simpler" by introducing preset My Documents/Music/Videos/etc folders
(and taken entirely to the next level with Vista) is a complete waste of
time, because it's abused by third-party programs (including MS's own). I
say if these shortcuts are going to be considered useful at all, let the
*user* define folders for them and *don't* define them as presets that any
third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in "My
Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?

Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry, had to get this off my
chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

Richard Urban

This, of course, can be changed and they can be included under "Documents",
or in my case D:\My Documents.

I dual boot and have made this change for the purpose of being able to use
one store when booted into either Windows XP or Vista. It works fine.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Except that My Documents used to contain the folders for My Pictures, My
> Music, etc used to be included in My Documents and their replacements are
> now separate higher level folders.
>

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks, Jane.
>>

>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes. C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents is the Vista equivalent of the old XP
>>> My Documents.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Daze N. Knights

Maybe this is why MS changed the name of "*My* Documents" to simply
"Documents."

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save stuff.

> I will have to disagree with that assertion.
>
> I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS tried to
> shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've resisted it for
> years, and moaned and complained that I couldn't permanently delete that
> useless folder since it was introduced in Windows 95.
>
> Eventually I gave in, and created a 4.35GB partition and moved the My
> Documents folder to it. The size is ideal (whatever'll fit on that
> partition can be quickly backed up to a single DVD) and the relative small
> size forces me not to let useless crap accumulate. The files I would
> consider essential to back up before a reinstall right now total well under
> 2GB.
>
> However nowadays there's so many poorly written programs that just dump all
> their data to it without ever asking (or providing the means to change that)
> that the My Documents folder has become essentially useless. I've now run
> out of disk space on that 4.35GB partition (even though my own data still
> totals under 2GB); after struggling with space for months, I just gave up on
> the whole My Documents folder idea again, rerouted it back to its default
> location on C:, and ignore it. I still have my 2GB worth of *my own* files
> (and nothing else) in its own partition. I've lost the "benefit" of having
> a one-button "My Documents" shortcut in every File Open/Save dialog box (the
> only benefit, really), but at least I'm not dealing with useless third-party
> crap I didn't create myself on my backup DVD.
>
> This whole effort by MS to take it upon themselves to try to make the user's
> life "simpler" by introducing preset My Documents/Music/Videos/etc folders
> (and taken entirely to the next level with Vista) is a complete waste of
> time, because it's abused by third-party programs (including MS's own). I
> say if these shortcuts are going to be considered useful at all, let the
> *user* define folders for them and *don't* define them as presets that any
> third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in "My
> Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?
>

> Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry, had to get this off my
> chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

DanS

"Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

>> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
>> stuff.

> I will have to disagree with that assertion.
>
> I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS
> tried to shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've

<SNIP>

> abused by
> third-party programs (including MS's own). I say if these shortcuts
> are going to be considered useful at all, let the *user* define
> folders for them and *don't* define them as presets that any
> third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in "My
> Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?
>

> Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry, had to get this
> off my chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

There are many others that think the same. I being one.

What was it, iTunes, that won't even install if you don't have a 'My
Music' folder ?

John Barnes

Sorry to disagree, but I was happy when a standard place to put files was
introduced. Instead of having to search all over the drive, which was a
chore in those days, some in the root, some in program files in separate
folders, and some in the program's own program file in a sub folder. If you
had many programs making documents, many of which didn't give the
opportunity to change the location in those days, you need a roadmap to find
your documents each time you worked with them or wanted to access them.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
>> stuff.

> I will have to disagree with that assertion.
>
> I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS tried
> to shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've resisted it for
> years, and moaned and complained that I couldn't permanently delete that
> useless folder since it was introduced in Windows 95.
>
> Eventually I gave in, and created a 4.35GB partition and moved the My
> Documents folder to it. The size is ideal (whatever'll fit on that
> partition can be quickly backed up to a single DVD) and the relative small
> size forces me not to let useless crap accumulate. The files I would
> consider essential to back up before a reinstall right now total well
> under 2GB.
>
> However nowadays there's so many poorly written programs that just dump
> all their data to it without ever asking (or providing the means to change
> that) that the My Documents folder has become essentially useless. I've
> now run out of disk space on that 4.35GB partition (even though my own
> data still totals under 2GB); after struggling with space for months, I
> just gave up on the whole My Documents folder idea again, rerouted it back
> to its default location on C:, and ignore it. I still have my 2GB worth
> of *my own* files (and nothing else) in its own partition. I've lost the
> "benefit" of having a one-button "My Documents" shortcut in every File
> Open/Save dialog box (the only benefit, really), but at least I'm not
> dealing with useless third-party crap I didn't create myself on my backup
> DVD.
>
> This whole effort by MS to take it upon themselves to try to make the
> user's life "simpler" by introducing preset My Documents/Music/Videos/etc
> folders (and taken entirely to the next level with Vista) is a complete
> waste of time, because it's abused by third-party programs (including MS's
> own). I say if these shortcuts are going to be considered useful at all,
> let the *user* define folders for them and *don't* define them as presets
> that any third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in
> "My Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?
>

> Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry, had to get this off
> my chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

Jeffrey S. Sparks

I agree, i like the fact that music, video, etc have their own folders and
are not IN the documents folder.

Jeff

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...