Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > testing memory on IA64

testing memory on IA64

Nut Cracker

Does anyone know of a tool that can be run on an IA64 machine (running
Windows 2003 EE IA64) to test/diagnose memory errors?

Over the weekend, one of my test workstations logged several ECC memory
correction events, like the following:

Machine Check Event reported is a corrected ECC memory error at physical
address 269916036 reported to CPU 0. 0 additonal error(s) are contained
within the record.

<link to support article>

Barring a tool that can run a diag on the system memory, would anyone know
how to map that physical address to a particular DIMM ?

Thanks in advance,

- NuTs

Tony Sperling

Under any circumstance, if you're to trust any of it, I think you might as
well run a test that boots into it's own environment. For all I know, a
thourough test-suite needs to move things around in a way that it can test
the memory of the utility's own memory footprint.

Tony. . .

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of a tool that can be run on an IA64 machine (running
> Windows 2003 EE IA64) to test/diagnose memory errors?
>
> Over the weekend, one of my test workstations logged several ECC memory
> correction events, like the following:
>
> Machine Check Event reported is a corrected ECC memory error at physical
> address 269916036 reported to CPU 0. 0 additonal error(s) are contained
> within the record.
>
> <link to support article>
>

> Barring a tool that can run a diag on the system memory, would anyone know
> how to map that physical address to a particular DIMM ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - NuTs

Nut Cracker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Under any circumstance, if you're to trust any of it, I think you might as
> well run a test that boots into it's own environment. For all I know, a
> thourough test-suite needs to move things around in a way that it can test
> the memory of the utility's own memory footprint.
>

> Tony. . .

ala MemTest86 .... but i havent seen anything like that for the IA64
systems, which is why I am asking here.

Tony Sperling

Forgive me, I was thinking of something along the line of:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

The systemrescueCD - I was sure it had various pure 64bit versions, but it
only comes with x86 and PPC support, it would seem.

Checking Distrowatch, I see Debian 'Sarge' has IA64 support, and I be
'damned' if they don't have 'memtest' right there on-disk?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r5/ia64/bt-cd/

as far as I can see IA64 versions can only be had by Torrent Download or
Order.

Tony. . .

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Under any circumstance, if you're to trust any of it, I think you might

as
> > well run a test that boots into it's own environment. For all I know, a
> > thourough test-suite needs to move things around in a way that it can

test
> > the memory of the utility's own memory footprint.
> >

> > Tony. . .

> ala MemTest86 .... but i havent seen anything like that for the IA64
> systems, which is why I am asking here.

Nut Cracker

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive me, I was thinking of something along the line of:
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> The systemrescueCD - I was sure it had various pure 64bit versions, but it
> only comes with x86 and PPC support, it would seem.
>
> Checking Distrowatch, I see Debian 'Sarge' has IA64 support, and I be
> 'damned' if they don't have 'memtest' right there on-disk?
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r5/ia64/bt-cd/
>
> as far as I can see IA64 versions can only be had by Torrent Download or
> Order.

I actually found a utility CD on the IBM site called PC Doctor 1.01 (under
Intellistation, 6894-N2X). Its a little linux CD that when you boot to it,
it runs through some rudimentary system diags. Which is cool and all, but I
doesnt really put the memory through the paces that I want it to.

Thanks for the link to the SARGE thing ... I will have a look at it and let
you know what I come up with.

- NuTs

Tony Sperling

Yes, thanks. That would be most interesting!

IA64 .... Nut Cracker Windows 64bit 6 10-10-2006 08:55 PM
Re: A question about ia64 and x86 Antoine Leca C Programming 17 02-24-2006 01:21 AM
remastering bootable ia64 CD W Windows 64bit 5 09-13-2005 01:51 AM
installing Win2k3 server 32-bit on IA64? =?Utf-8?B?cmlhcGhv?= Windows 64bit 2 09-12-2005 01:51 PM
PTE address of IA64 =?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?= Windows 64bit 23 07-13-2005 02:55 AM

Advertisments