Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet working but LAN doesn't - no file and printer sharing etc

Internet working but LAN doesn't - no file and printer sharing etc

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iYm8=?=

I have the internet working fine between my two computers. I am using a ADSL
router and modem in one computer that plugs into the ethernet slot of the PC.
the other connects to the network using a USB adapter. These are both
Netgear. The internet works fine, but the other characteristics of a LAN I
cannot get to work.

The computers don't seemto think they are connected at all and do not allow
printer sharing, file sharing, or let you play games via the LAN. They don't
see each other on the workgroup.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Carey Holzman

If you want to work through this one-on-one, send me an email at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and I will walk you through the steps.

Carey

"Robbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have the internet working fine between my two computers. I am using a
>ADSL
> router and modem in one computer that plugs into the ethernet slot of the
> PC.
> the other connects to the network using a USB adapter. These are both
> Netgear. The internet works fine, but the other characteristics of a LAN I
> cannot get to work.
>
> The computers don't seemto think they are connected at all and do not
> allow
> printer sharing, file sharing, or let you play games via the LAN. They
> don't
> see each other on the workgroup.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Malke

Robbo wrote:

> I have the internet working fine between my two computers. I am using
> a ADSL router and modem in one computer that plugs into the ethernet
> slot of the PC. the other connects to the network using a USB adapter.
> These are both Netgear. The internet works fine, but the other
> characteristics of a LAN I cannot get to work.
>
> The computers don't seemto think they are connected at all and do not
> allow printer sharing, file sharing, or let you play games via the
> LAN. They don't see each other on the workgroup.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Run through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network troubleshooter here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
Hans-Georg Michna

After you've done that, here are some other very good networking sites
to help you:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
http://www.wown.info/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/