Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Booting Vista 64 and XP

Dual Booting Vista 64 and XP

neil171@hotmail.co.uk

Ok, i'm new here and thisis my first post, so appologies if thishas
been covered in other posts.

I'm buying a new computer which will have windows Vista (64 bit
version) Home Premium installed on it. I've read reports about drivers
not being available etc. so I want to have a dual booting option so I
can use Windows XP to run any programs that won't run on Vista.

I believe I can do this by installing XP on a separate partition and
can select to boot of that partition if I want.

With the partition taken care of, can I simply install XP on drive D:,
then choose to boot from drive : if I want to use it?

Cheers
Neil

Aaron Kelley

You will have to do some extra work to fix Vista's boot if you do this.
(You're supposed to install older OS's first so that you do not have this
problem.) I believe all you'll have to do is boot the Vista DVD and choose
"Repair" (or whatever) from the first menu you get and it will do it for
you, but I have not done this myself.

- Aaron

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok, i'm new here and thisis my first post, so appologies if thishas
> been covered in other posts.
>
> I'm buying a new computer which will have windows Vista (64 bit
> version) Home Premium installed on it. I've read reports about drivers
> not being available etc. so I want to have a dual booting option so I
> can use Windows XP to run any programs that won't run on Vista.
>
> I believe I can do this by installing XP on a separate partition and
> can select to boot of that partition if I want.
>
> With the partition taken care of, can I simply install XP on drive D:,
> then choose to boot from drive : if I want to use it?
>
> Cheers
> Neil

neil171@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks Aaron,

can you just clarify that with Vista installed, I install XP on a
separate drive, and the boot Vista from the CD and repair?

Cheers
Neil

Aaron Kelley

Right. When you install XP, it will break Vista's boot loader. The Vista
DVD should immediately detect this and offer to fix it when you click on the
"Repair my computer" (or some similar) option at the first menu.

- Aaron

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks Aaron,
>
> can you just clarify that with Vista installed, I install XP on a
> separate drive, and the boot Vista from the CD and repair?
>
> Cheers
> Neil

Marty Felker

Intall XP first follwed by Vista. XP will be in the first partition on your
HD and will live in Drive C: Install Vista in the second partition during
install - leave the second freespace during Vista install - don't use the
Vista Bootloader. If you do you could experience file corruption if you
share files between XP and Vista (which will also think its on the C: drive.
Go to Control Panel - Admin - Disk Management and make sure in both XP and
Vista that they don't see the other OS by removing drive letter D:

This works for me quite well. As allows do backups and/or imaging.