Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Task Bar

Task Bar

=?Utf-8?B?TEVO?=

I lost the icon for safe eject of USB plug ins. I use it for flash drives and
digital camera safe eject. How do I get the icon back?
Len

Tony Sperling

What happens if you plug something in and access the thing - and then simply
remove it, logically the system should react in some way?

Also, are you having any fresh errors/warnings in 'Event Viewer'?

Tony. . .

"LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I lost the icon for safe eject of USB plug ins. I use it for flash drives

and
> digital camera safe eject. How do I get the icon back?
> Len

=?Utf-8?B?TEVO?=

Computer recognizes new USB device and is listed in My Computer. Eject
command does not work. Icon on tray does not appear. Removing just sounds
alert. No warning are shown.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> What happens if you plug something in and access the thing - and then simply
> remove it, logically the system should react in some way?
>
> Also, are you having any fresh errors/warnings in 'Event Viewer'?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I lost the icon for safe eject of USB plug ins. I use it for flash drives

> and
> > digital camera safe eject. How do I get the icon back?
> > Len

Tony Sperling

I'm sorry, I just had my new BroadBand TV connection delivered and I've been
busy boring holes in walls and stuff, and then wireing it all up with my
existing router. Not difficult, but time consuming. I don't really know at
the moment what to say about this - do you have any inclin as to what you
were doing at the time when this started? It looks trivial enough, I don't
want to complicate things by making wild guesses. A good night's sleep may
clear the mind?

Tony. . .

"LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Computer recognizes new USB device and is listed in My Computer. Eject
> command does not work. Icon on tray does not appear. Removing just

sounds
> alert. No warning are shown.
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > What happens if you plug something in and access the thing - and then

simply
> > remove it, logically the system should react in some way?
> >
> > Also, are you having any fresh errors/warnings in 'Event Viewer'?
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I lost the icon for safe eject of USB plug ins. I use it for flash

drives
> > and
> > > digital camera safe eject. How do I get the icon back?
> > > Len

Tony Sperling

A good night's sleep did result in one idea - a long shot, surely - but you
could try and disable USB support in the BIOS, disconnect any USB devices
that you do not need for booting. Then Boot normally to Windows. At a
convenient time, exit by a cold-boot (shut down the system and let it
discharge for a couple of minutes).

Now, go back and enable the USB support in the BIOS, put all your USB
devices back in - each one in a different connector from what it used to
be - and see if that didn't change anything?

If not, I would re-install the motherboard drivers from the System CD that
came with your machine.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sorry, I just had my new BroadBand TV connection delivered and I've

been
> busy boring holes in walls and stuff, and then wireing it all up with my
> existing router. Not difficult, but time consuming. I don't really know at
> the moment what to say about this - do you have any inclin as to what you
> were doing at the time when this started? It looks trivial enough, I don't
> want to complicate things by making wild guesses. A good night's sleep may
> clear the mind?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Computer recognizes new USB device and is listed in My Computer. Eject
> > command does not work. Icon on tray does not appear. Removing just

> sounds
> > alert. No warning are shown.
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> > > What happens if you plug something in and access the thing - and then

> simply
> > > remove it, logically the system should react in some way?
> > >
> > > Also, are you having any fresh errors/warnings in 'Event Viewer'?
> > >

> > > Tony. . .
> > >

> > > "LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> drives
> > > and

=?Utf-8?B?TEVO?=

Tony,
Thanks for the advice. I was considering trying it and lo and behold the
icon reappeared before I did anything. I have not idea what happens or what
I was doing. I disconnected a portable hard drive I use for backup and then
reattached it. In the meantime I was using the IBM safe disconnet program
that came with the Lenovo laptop.
Len

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> A good night's sleep did result in one idea - a long shot, surely - but you
> could try and disable USB support in the BIOS, disconnect any USB devices
> that you do not need for booting. Then Boot normally to Windows. At a
> convenient time, exit by a cold-boot (shut down the system and let it
> discharge for a couple of minutes).
>
> Now, go back and enable the USB support in the BIOS, put all your USB
> devices back in - each one in a different connector from what it used to
> be - and see if that didn't change anything?
>
> If not, I would re-install the motherboard drivers from the System CD that
> came with your machine.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm sorry, I just had my new BroadBand TV connection delivered and I've

> been
> > busy boring holes in walls and stuff, and then wireing it all up with my
> > existing router. Not difficult, but time consuming. I don't really know at
> > the moment what to say about this - do you have any inclin as to what you
> > were doing at the time when this started? It looks trivial enough, I don't
> > want to complicate things by making wild guesses. A good night's sleep may
> > clear the mind?
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "LEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Computer recognizes new USB device and is listed in My Computer. Eject
> > > command does not work. Icon on tray does not appear. Removing just

> > sounds
> > > alert. No warning are shown.

> > simply

> > drives

Tony Sperling

Well, I did think it sounded a bit strange - just one of the hickups, then!

Let's hope it behaves now.