Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > usb chips? Any particular chip perform better than the other?

usb chips? Any particular chip perform better than the other?

miso@sushi.com

I have a film scanner that hangs up once in a while. I can tell from
the vuescan log file that the last command issued is a read. I'd like
to rule out my USB port as a problem. [The port is whatever nvidia
uses with Nforce4.] Thus I'd like to try a USB PCI card with just the
film scanner attached, which is a relatively cheap experiment.

Which brings me to the question, is any chipset (NEC, ALI, VIA) better
than the other? I've seen some anecdotal evidence (aka some usenet
posts) that people have solved incompatibility problems using cards
with NEC chips.

I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

Tony Sperling

I have never heard of any such thing - spinal reaction would have me file
these reports under:"Religious Dogma"! But I may be wrong, and it shouldn't
ruin you to try - have you tried looking at the USB options in your BIOS?
There frequently is one to be found called: "Legacy Support" that is
supposed to 'fix' something, but if set, has been seen to break something
else. Don't remember the specifics. I would try and 'fiddle' a bit with that
one first of all.

Tony. . .

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a film scanner that hangs up once in a while. I can tell from
> the vuescan log file that the last command issued is a read. I'd like
> to rule out my USB port as a problem. [The port is whatever nvidia
> uses with Nforce4.] Thus I'd like to try a USB PCI card with just the
> film scanner attached, which is a relatively cheap experiment.
>
> Which brings me to the question, is any chipset (NEC, ALI, VIA) better
> than the other? I've seen some anecdotal evidence (aka some usenet
> posts) that people have solved incompatibility problems using cards
> with NEC chips.
>
> I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

John Barnes

I don't know what chip they use, but I have used Koutech PCI to USB and
PCI-e to USB and have never had a problem with them.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a film scanner that hangs up once in a while. I can tell from
> the vuescan log file that the last command issued is a read. I'd like
> to rule out my USB port as a problem. [The port is whatever nvidia
> uses with Nforce4.] Thus I'd like to try a USB PCI card with just the
> film scanner attached, which is a relatively cheap experiment.
>
> Which brings me to the question, is any chipset (NEC, ALI, VIA) better
> than the other? I've seen some anecdotal evidence (aka some usenet
> posts) that people have solved incompatibility problems using cards
> with NEC chips.
>
> I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

miso@sushi.com

On Feb 25, 4:49 pm, "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I have never heard of any such thing - spinal reaction would have me file
> these reports under:"Religious Dogma"! But I may be wrong, and it shouldn't
> ruin you to try - have you tried looking at the USB options in your BIOS?
> There frequently is one to be found called: "Legacy Support" that is
> supposed to 'fix' something, but if set, has been seen to break something
> else. Don't remember the specifics. I would try and 'fiddle' a bit with that
> one first of all.
>
> Tony. . .
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > I have a film scanner that hangs up once in a while. I can tell from
> > the vuescan log file that the last command issued is a read. I'd like
> > to rule out my USB port as a problem. [The port is whatever nvidia
> > uses with Nforce4.] Thus I'd like to try a USB PCI card with just the
> > film scanner attached, which is a relatively cheap experiment.

> > Which brings me to the question, is any chipset (NEC, ALI, VIA) better
> > than the other? I've seen some anecdotal evidence (aka some usenet
> > posts) that people have solved incompatibility problems using cards
> > with NEC chips.

> > I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

Legacy support (to my knowledge) is what allows you to use a usb
keyboard and interface with the bios. If you use a PS2 keyboard, there
is no problem. The only way I discovered this is I broke my old
keyboard and when I installed the usb keyboard, I couldn't pick the OS
to boot.

I'm trying one more trick, namely not to power down the usb port [An
option in the bios.]

I know in the old serial days, the startek (startech?) uarts were a
notch above the rest. [The company was bought by Exar.]

roman modic

Hello!

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't know what chip they use, but I have used Koutech PCI to USB and PCI-e to USB and have never had a problem with them.

Chips on PCI cards (or in PCMCIA) are usually from NEC or VIA ...

Regards, Roman

John Barnes

Just to update, the PCI to USB has a ALi chip

news:(E-Mail Removed)...