Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > A couple of questions:

A couple of questions:

=?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.

Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional video
editing, and to store and use lots of music.

Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?

Thanks for your help.

canixs

My advice is: stay with your current version, don't bother to upgrade to
64bit since it only give you more headache in looking for driver, unless you
want to ask for it.

"j-max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
>
> Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
> version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional
> video
> editing, and to store and use lots of music.
>
> Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
> installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Bruce Chambers

j-max wrote:
> Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
>
> Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
> version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional video
> editing, and to store and use lots of music.

Probably not. If you're not going to be installing and using 64-bit
applications, you won't see that great a performance increase by
changing the OS. You will, however, likely have trouble finding 64-bit
device drivers for any peripherals, as well as good 64-bit anti-virus
and firewall solutions.

> Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
> installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?

No, that should work OK.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

philo

"j-max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
>
> Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
> version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional
> video
> editing, and to store and use lots of music.
>
> Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
> installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Here's the safe way to do it:

Install the 64 bit OS on a 2nd partition (or an entire 2nd HD)
and dual boot.
That way if the 64bit version does not work out...you have a working system
to fall back to.

It's possible that some drivers may not be avail now...but will be later.

For general use the 32bit OS should be fine...but you mentioned video
editing...
and there...you may find the 64bit version will give you better performance

canixs

And remember not to activate the 64bit boot, it may invalidate the 32bit
boot since only one version is allowed in your computer according to some
posted I read about licensing.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "j-max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
>>
>> Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
>> version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional
>> video
>> editing, and to store and use lots of music.
>>
>> Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
>> installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> Here's the safe way to do it:
>
> Install the 64 bit OS on a 2nd partition (or an entire 2nd HD)
> and dual boot.
> That way if the 64bit version does not work out...you have a working
> system to fall back to.
>
> It's possible that some drivers may not be avail now...but will be later.
>
> For general use the 32bit OS should be fine...but you mentioned video
> editing...
> and there...you may find the 64bit version will give you better
> performance

philo

"canixs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And remember not to activate the 64bit boot, it may invalidate the 32bit
> boot since only one version is allowed in your computer according to some
> posted I read about licensing.

Yes...that could be a problem...as
to have two different versions up and running...they'd each have to be
licensed and
activated.

=?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

Thanks everybody...that'll help.

"philo" wrote:

> "canixs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And remember not to activate the 64bit boot, it may invalidate the 32bit
> > boot since only one version is allowed in your computer according to some
> > posted I read about licensing.
> >

> Yes...that could be a problem...as
> to have two different versions up and running...they'd each have to be
> licensed and
> activated.

mikeyhsd

there are VISTA news groups on the microsoft news servers.

unless your manufacturer will guarantee that it will run vista totally, do not try the upgrade.
you are likely to run into driver problems.

(E-Mail Removed)@sport.rr.com