Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista for XP64er's

Reply
Thread Tools

Vista for XP64er's

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?cmFoY29t?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
Why would MS leave us xp64 bitter's out in the cold when it comes to upgrades
for Vista? I do not want to lose information just to get a Vista OS. Didn't
MS think about this? )of course they did( ...and decided our 'small' end of
their vast OS universe just isn't that critical to their bottom line.
Wouldn't you think, those which have the capability to run xp64 would most
likely purchase the most expensive consumer version OS ever placed into the
recent market? For shame, for shame...


Sure we are capable of imaging, backups, installs, etc. Then why not reduce
the price for xp64er's due to the one midigating fact; the extra time
involved to perform an upgrade (or in our case, a new install) and have to
re-install all our programs, documents, peripherals, and settings, etc. As MS
knows time is money and to make us perform these extra steps because they are
not willing (or capable) to producing a product that offers the same options
as other, equally well suited customers.

MS--not really taking their customers into concideration--here. Not to
mention our original purchase of, and subsiquent use of xp64 has also helped
in the development of current OS (Vista) through error reporting, feedback
response, and the such.

This sure is making a clear case for opting out of MS and moving to
something else: MAC, Linux. Which are two very capable solutions to an MS
mountain, and its current mis-directed devotion to the customer. Sometimes
mountains turn into valcanos, and when they eventully erupt, most certainly
they become much a lessor hill. Has MS become a valcano?

I do not expect to receive anything for my rants; certainly not any
solutions to my requests. (Those MAC commercials are very convincing) Can you
say request, accept, deny.

-----
Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
We've talked about this before here, and the case has been pretty clearly
stated. The single biggest reason is the need for signed drivers which would
cause direct upgrades to fail all too often.

Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start life
on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around. Finally, the new
Windows Easy Transfer (WET) is MUCH better than the old Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard. Use it, and you won't lose much at all. Of course, make a
backup, that goes without saying. But I've done several and it's not painful
at all.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"rahcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would MS leave us xp64 bitter's out in the cold when it comes to
> upgrades
> for Vista? I do not want to lose information just to get a Vista OS.
> Didn't
> MS think about this? )of course they did( ...and decided our 'small' end
> of
> their vast OS universe just isn't that critical to their bottom line.
> Wouldn't you think, those which have the capability to run xp64 would most
> likely purchase the most expensive consumer version OS ever placed into
> the
> recent market? For shame, for shame...
>
>
> Sure we are capable of imaging, backups, installs, etc. Then why not
> reduce
> the price for xp64er's due to the one midigating fact; the extra time
> involved to perform an upgrade (or in our case, a new install) and have to
> re-install all our programs, documents, peripherals, and settings, etc. As
> MS
> knows time is money and to make us perform these extra steps because they
> are
> not willing (or capable) to producing a product that offers the same
> options
> as other, equally well suited customers.
>
> MS--not really taking their customers into concideration--here. Not to
> mention our original purchase of, and subsiquent use of xp64 has also
> helped
> in the development of current OS (Vista) through error reporting, feedback
> response, and the such.
>
> This sure is making a clear case for opting out of MS and moving to
> something else: MAC, Linux. Which are two very capable solutions to an MS
> mountain, and its current mis-directed devotion to the customer. Sometimes
> mountains turn into valcanos, and when they eventully erupt, most
> certainly
> they become much a lessor hill. Has MS become a valcano?
>
> I do not expect to receive anything for my rants; certainly not any
> solutions to my requests. (Those MAC commercials are very convincing) Can
> you
> say request, accept, deny.
>
> -----
> Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?cmFoY29t?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
Charlie,
Great, then why does MS offer upgrade options to current OS's, based on your
statements:
>'Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start life
> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around.'

From a customer, also of many, many years(Do you remember Windows1.0): MS
and your statements would appear to offset the other.
Also, based on your response, it appears MS did not do their homework
regarding the customer, marketing Vista, and driving a clear understanding of
which version of Vista is the [right] version. Now, do we get the upgrade or
the full version of one of the following: Vista Basic, Vista Home, Vista Home
Premium, Vista Business, Vista Business Premium, Vista Ultimate, or was that
the Vista Ultimate Premium Business, and would that be in the 32bit or 64bit
flavor. Are you beginning to see the confusion and frustration(?), from a
long time, and loyal MS customer point of view, of course. We are not alone
on thisl MS has reminded us of the true dictionary definitions of the words:
confusion and frustration.
--
Bob


"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> We've talked about this before here, and the case has been pretty clearly
> stated. The single biggest reason is the need for signed drivers which would
> cause direct upgrades to fail all too often.
>
> Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start life
> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around. Finally, the new
> Windows Easy Transfer (WET) is MUCH better than the old Files and Settings
> Transfer Wizard. Use it, and you won't lose much at all. Of course, make a
> backup, that goes without saying. But I've done several and it's not painful
> at all.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
>
> "rahcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why would MS leave us xp64 bitter's out in the cold when it comes to
> > upgrades
> > for Vista? I do not want to lose information just to get a Vista OS.
> > Didn't
> > MS think about this? )of course they did( ...and decided our 'small' end
> > of
> > their vast OS universe just isn't that critical to their bottom line.
> > Wouldn't you think, those which have the capability to run xp64 would most
> > likely purchase the most expensive consumer version OS ever placed into
> > the
> > recent market? For shame, for shame...
> >
> >
> > Sure we are capable of imaging, backups, installs, etc. Then why not
> > reduce
> > the price for xp64er's due to the one midigating fact; the extra time
> > involved to perform an upgrade (or in our case, a new install) and have to
> > re-install all our programs, documents, peripherals, and settings, etc. As
> > MS
> > knows time is money and to make us perform these extra steps because they
> > are
> > not willing (or capable) to producing a product that offers the same
> > options
> > as other, equally well suited customers.
> >
> > MS--not really taking their customers into concideration--here. Not to
> > mention our original purchase of, and subsiquent use of xp64 has also
> > helped
> > in the development of current OS (Vista) through error reporting, feedback
> > response, and the such.
> >
> > This sure is making a clear case for opting out of MS and moving to
> > something else: MAC, Linux. Which are two very capable solutions to an MS
> > mountain, and its current mis-directed devotion to the customer. Sometimes
> > mountains turn into valcanos, and when they eventully erupt, most
> > certainly
> > they become much a lessor hill. Has MS become a valcano?
> >
> > I do not expect to receive anything for my rants; certainly not any
> > solutions to my requests. (Those MAC commercials are very convincing) Can
> > you
> > say request, accept, deny.
> >
> > -----
> > Bob

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
DP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007

"rahcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sure we are capable of imaging, backups, installs, etc. Then why not
> reduce
> the price for xp64er's .......



Actually, they have, in a way. This has been discussed a lot in this group
and on planetamd64.com .
As an x64 user, you can buy an upgrade version of Vista, which of course is
cheaper than the "full" version.
You still have to do a clean install, but at least you pay the upgrade
price.

I have not tried that myself. I simply bought an OEM version of Vista
Ultimate 64-bit for $200 from New Egg.
This is legitimate: it's not like those sites that are selling OEM for $79.
MS issued an edict recently about who can buy Vista OEM. I can probably find
it if you need to see it. Of course, OEM means you don't get MS technical
support. So, if you're computer savvy and don't usually have to call tech
support (I only remember calling MS tech support once in my life), then this
might be the way you want to go.

I installed my Vista last night. Works like a charm. Still had to go through
all the driver headaches, but I had it up and running in a matter of hours.
I would have had to do the same thing if I'd clean-installed from the
upgrade copy, so I don't see that as a big chunk of time.

Besides, that means I still have a legitimate license on XP x64, so I'm dual
booting (I'm writing this from X64 simply because that happened to be the OS
I booted up in.)





 
Reply With Quote
 
DP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I installed my Vista last night. Works like a charm. Still had to go
> through all the driver headaches, but I had it up and running in a matter
> of hours.


Sorry. I meant, I had all the drivers in place in a matter of hours. The OS
was up and running immediately after the install was complete.


 
Reply With Quote
 
BSchnur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
> Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start life
> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around. Finally, the new
> Windows Easy Transfer (WET) is MUCH better than the old Files and Settings
> Transfer Wizard. Use it, and you won't lose much at all. Of course, make a
> backup, that goes without saying. But I've done several and it's not painful
> at all.


You mean I can upgrade in place from Win 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 98 to Win
ME to Win XP to Win XP 64 to Vista XP 64... Bummer....
>
>


--
Barry Schnur
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2007
Excuse me, but I am NOT Microsoft. My recommendations are not theirs. They
officially support upgrades. Good. That's their position, and they stick to
it. But they do not now, nor have they ever, promised or supported an
upgrade from XP x64 or any other version of Windows to 64-bit Windows Vista.

I see no confusion about versions. MS has been quite clear about what
version is what, and the upgrade paths are both clear and pretty logical. MS
doesn't support a direct upgrade path from home versions to business
versions. Nor the other direction. Might not be my choice, but that's
_their_ decision. I need to buy the right version and they've made that
quite clear, if you take the time to actually read it.

Do your homework and stop trying to make claims about versions that don't
even exist. This isn't exactly hard to figure out.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"rahcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
> Great, then why does MS offer upgrade options to current OS's, based on
> your
> statements:
>>'Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
>> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start
>> life
>> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around.'

> From a customer, also of many, many years(Do you remember Windows1.0): MS
> and your statements would appear to offset the other.
> Also, based on your response, it appears MS did not do their homework
> regarding the customer, marketing Vista, and driving a clear understanding
> of
> which version of Vista is the [right] version. Now, do we get the upgrade
> or
> the full version of one of the following: Vista Basic, Vista Home, Vista
> Home
> Premium, Vista Business, Vista Business Premium, Vista Ultimate, or was
> that
> the Vista Ultimate Premium Business, and would that be in the 32bit or
> 64bit
> flavor. Are you beginning to see the confusion and frustration(?), from a
> long time, and loyal MS customer point of view, of course. We are not
> alone
> on thisl MS has reminded us of the true dictionary definitions of the
> words:
> confusion and frustration.
> --
> Bob
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> We've talked about this before here, and the case has been pretty clearly
>> stated. The single biggest reason is the need for signed drivers which
>> would
>> cause direct upgrades to fail all too often.
>>
>> Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
>> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start
>> life
>> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around. Finally, the new
>> Windows Easy Transfer (WET) is MUCH better than the old Files and
>> Settings
>> Transfer Wizard. Use it, and you won't lose much at all. Of course, make
>> a
>> backup, that goes without saying. But I've done several and it's not
>> painful
>> at all.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>>
>> "rahcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Why would MS leave us xp64 bitter's out in the cold when it comes to
>> > upgrades
>> > for Vista? I do not want to lose information just to get a Vista OS.
>> > Didn't
>> > MS think about this? )of course they did( ...and decided our 'small'
>> > end
>> > of
>> > their vast OS universe just isn't that critical to their bottom line.
>> > Wouldn't you think, those which have the capability to run xp64 would
>> > most
>> > likely purchase the most expensive consumer version OS ever placed into
>> > the
>> > recent market? For shame, for shame...
>> >
>> >
>> > Sure we are capable of imaging, backups, installs, etc. Then why not
>> > reduce
>> > the price for xp64er's due to the one midigating fact; the extra time
>> > involved to perform an upgrade (or in our case, a new install) and have
>> > to
>> > re-install all our programs, documents, peripherals, and settings, etc.
>> > As
>> > MS
>> > knows time is money and to make us perform these extra steps because
>> > they
>> > are
>> > not willing (or capable) to producing a product that offers the same
>> > options
>> > as other, equally well suited customers.
>> >
>> > MS--not really taking their customers into concideration--here. Not to
>> > mention our original purchase of, and subsiquent use of xp64 has also
>> > helped
>> > in the development of current OS (Vista) through error reporting,
>> > feedback
>> > response, and the such.
>> >
>> > This sure is making a clear case for opting out of MS and moving to
>> > something else: MAC, Linux. Which are two very capable solutions to an
>> > MS
>> > mountain, and its current mis-directed devotion to the customer.
>> > Sometimes
>> > mountains turn into valcanos, and when they eventully erupt, most
>> > certainly
>> > they become much a lessor hill. Has MS become a valcano?
>> >
>> > I do not expect to receive anything for my rants; certainly not any
>> > solutions to my requests. (Those MAC commercials are very convincing)
>> > Can
>> > you
>> > say request, accept, deny.
>> >
>> > -----
>> > Bob

>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2007
yeah. Assuming you meant but didn't type "can't". Bummer.

Do you really want all that crap still on there?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"BSchnur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Now, that being said, most of us who have been around for a while do NOT
>> recommend doing an upgrade anyway. It's just not how you want to start
>> life
>> on a new OS, with all that old detritus hanging around. Finally, the new
>> Windows Easy Transfer (WET) is MUCH better than the old Files and
>> Settings
>> Transfer Wizard. Use it, and you won't lose much at all. Of course, make
>> a
>> backup, that goes without saying. But I've done several and it's not
>> painful
>> at all.

>
> You mean I can upgrade in place from Win 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 98 to Win
> ME to Win XP to Win XP 64 to Vista XP 64... Bummer....
>>
>>

>
> --
> Barry Schnur


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2007
Yeah, I thought that was what you meant. My timing of the install on decent
but not screaming hardware was under 30 minutes. The new imaging technology
is a good deal faster. Of course, in place upgrades are not as fast.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I installed my Vista last night. Works like a charm. Still had to go
>> through all the driver headaches, but I had it up and running in a matter
>> of hours.

>
> Sorry. I meant, I had all the drivers in place in a matter of hours. The
> OS was up and running immediately after the install was complete.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
BSchnur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2007
> yeah. Assuming you meant but didn't type "can't". Bummer.

Well it would be a serious bummer if one COULD do that sort of attic
collection serial upgrade..

--
Barry Schnur
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista codec packages for Vista 32 & vista 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 0 03-05-2007 05:48 PM
Vista Home v Vista Ultimate John Computer Information 4 02-15-2007 10:02 PM
Non-Vista print drivers in Vista 64 RC1? Larry Hodges Windows 64bit 11 10-30-2006 01:36 AM
Please start Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 Newsgroups =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?= Windows 64bit 6 10-11-2006 03:55 PM
x64-to-Vista: Will clean-install Vista "upgrade" invalidate x64 license? DP Windows 64bit 11 07-22-2006 11:00 PM



Advertisments