Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ODBC problem

ODBC problem

Jac

Hi I have a user that is on Windows Xp X64

When i try to add a "system dsn" when i click the add button, i only see
"SQL Server"

On any other workstation 32 bits, i have a lot of choice like "Driver do
Microsoft Access (*.mdb)

Can someone help me please to get all things back to normal

Thanks

Jac

Charlie Russel - MVP

This may help:

From a post by Pascal Deliot:

It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
on the 64-bit side of the system.

32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
and for 64-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe

HTH

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Jac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I have a user that is on Windows Xp X64
>
> When i try to add a "system dsn" when i click the add button, i only see
> "SQL Server"
>
> On any other workstation 32 bits, i have a lot of choice like "Driver do
> Microsoft Access (*.mdb)
>
> Can someone help me please to get all things back to normal
>
> Thanks
>
> Jac

Chris Kushnir

> When i try to add a "system dsn" when i click the add button, i only see
> "SQL Server"
>
> On any other workstation 32 bits, i have a lot of choice like "Driver do
> Microsoft Access (*.mdb)
>
> Can someone help me please to get all things back to normal

In addition to what Charlie mentioned, what you have is normal.
MS only has an x64 ODBC driver for SQL Server.
There are no x64 ODBC drivers for Access, ...

cmk

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Jac wrote:

>Hi I have a user that is on Windows Xp X64
>
>When i try to add a "system dsn" when i click the add button, i only see
>"SQL Server"

That's because they're running the 64-bit ODBC Administrator, which only
shows 64-bit ODBC drivers, and the only one that's there OOB is SQL Server.

>On any other workstation 32 bits, i have a lot of choice like "Driver do
>Microsoft Access (*.mdb)
>
>Can someone help me please to get all things back to normal

Run the 32-bit ODBC Administrator (in the SysWOW64 folder) and you'll see
32-bit ODBC drivers.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Jac

Hey thanks to all of you for the good informations

Cheers !

news:(E-Mail Removed)...