Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Login failure error on Windows 03 64 b r2

Login failure error on Windows 03 64 b r2

=?Utf-8?B?d2F5bmVAcTQ=?=

When a client (not in the domain) tries to connect to a share on the server
with everyone permissions, they received an access denied error, 1053 in the
event log on the server. Worked fine on 2000.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The problem is that permissions changed between Windows 2000 Server and
Windows Server 2003. Anonymous users are no longer part of the Everyone
group, which actually tracks more closely now to "authenticated users".

To change this, you need to modify
the default security policy. To do this in the Local Security Policy:

1.) Open Secpol.msc
2.) Click on Local Policies
3.) Click on Security Options
4.) In the right pane, Scroll down to
Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous
5.) Enable the policy.

(FWIW, this has nothing to do with 64-bit. It's exactly the same in 32-bit
Server 2003. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"wayne@q4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When a client (not in the domain) tries to connect to a share on the
> server
> with everyone permissions, they received an access denied error, 1053 in
> the
> event log on the server. Worked fine on 2000.

=?Utf-8?B?d2F5bmVAcTQ=?=

That worked to end the access denied, but I now get prompted for a username /
password. Is there another policy for this? I have everyone for the share
and security with full permission. Thanks.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The problem is that permissions changed between Windows 2000 Server and
> Windows Server 2003. Anonymous users are no longer part of the Everyone
> group, which actually tracks more closely now to "authenticated users".
>
> To change this, you need to modify
> the default security policy. To do this in the Local Security Policy:
>
> 1.) Open Secpol.msc
> 2.) Click on Local Policies
> 3.) Click on Security Options
> 4.) In the right pane, Scroll down to
> Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous
> 5.) Enable the policy.
>

> (FWIW, this has nothing to do with 64-bit. It's exactly the same in 32-bit
> Server 2003. )
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "wayne@q4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When a client (not in the domain) tries to connect to a share on the
> > server
> > with everyone permissions, they received an access denied error, 1053 in
> > the
> > event log on the server. Worked fine on 2000.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You may still need to provide a username password combo, or you may be able
to get around it by modifying the security on the underlying file system
folder. I'm remote for the rest of the week, so can't get at a server where
I can test it. But if you don't find it yourself, ping me with a new thread
here early next week and I'll try a few things.