Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual boot operating system depends on ntldr and ntdetect version??

Dual boot operating system depends on ntldr and ntdetect version??

John Barnes

The command you wanted is bootcfg /rebuild to make sure the boot.ini
entries are correct. Make sure you have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the
x64 install disk on your system drive. You can drag and drop them when in
your x64 system.

"dakota02" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> > [boot loader]
>> > ;timeout=30
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000
>> > Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot
>> > ;multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Wind ows XP Professional
>> > x64
>> > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot
>> >

>> > I would attach a picture of my drive structure from computer
>> > management,
>> > but
>> > I don't believe there is any way to do attachments. If you want to see
>> > it,
>> > however, I can post it to a web site where it can be viewed, if you
>> > want.
>> > But, with the computer booted up in win2k, when I go and look at
>> > computer
>> > management, it says the following:
>> > my first drive is partitioned into 3 volumes. The first, c:, is the
>> > primary
>> > partition, and it is marked as system. It contains xp x64 in c:\windows
>> > .
>> > Then there is an extended partition, and it contains two logical
>> > partitions,
>> > f and z. f is marked as boot. and win2k is in c:\winnt . c and f are
>> > ntfs.
>> > is fat 32. I also see several partitions marked as active, but they are
>> > on
>> > other physical drives. There are no partitions marked as active on the
>> > first
>> > drive, which is a scsi drive.
>> >
>> > FWIW, if I recall correctly, when I boot up into winxp x64, f is marked
>> > as
>> > the system partition and c is marked as the boot partition, but that is
>> > just
>> > from memory. If it matters, I can go back and check that again by
>> > changing
>> > the versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com in c:\ and rebooting and
>> > selecting
>> > xp
>> > x64 as the operating system. As I said, if I don't change those files,
>> > and
>> > try to boot xp x64, I get an error.
>> >
>> > I was going to post a picture of the computer management screen, but
>> > there
>> > is no way to upload a jpg, or at least I don't think there is. If it
>> > matters,
>> > I can post it on a web site.
>> >
>> > This has me totally baffled, especially since I have operated many dual
>> > boot
>> > systems over the years, although they were always a flavor of windows
>> > and
>> > flavor of linux, never two versions of windows, although there was a
>> > time
>> > (very short) when this computer did properly dual boot win2k and winxp
>> > x64,
>> > but that was over 18 months ago when I first set it up with a beta

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFrb3RhMDI=?=

Unfortunately, still no luck. The first time I did it, I entered Windows 2000
for the win2k installation, with no OS load options, and Windows xp x64 for
the xp x64 installation, again with no os load options. Then, when I booted,
I got 4 selections, the two I entered, and Windows 2000 Professional and
Windows XP Professional X64. I chose the first option, my windows 2000 entry,
and the computer simply rebooted. I then chose my xp x64 installation, and xp
x64 booted. Then I tried the 3 entry, which was the old (I guess) Windows
2000 Professional and I got the message "Windows could not start because of a
computer disk hardware problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.
Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation
about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for
additional information."
When I tried the 4th option, the old Windows XP Professional X64, it booted
into xp x64.
The boot.ini that was used at that time is:
[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="windo ws xp x64"
;multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Micros oft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot

So, then I renamed boot.ini and did another repair session, entering Windows
2000 and no os load options and windows xp x64 with no load options and tried
again.

This time, I only got the 2 expected choices, but when I try to boot win2k,
I get the same old message that I was getting for a long time. "Windows could
not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\winnt\system32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting
windows setup using the original setup cd-rom. Select -r at the first screen
to start repair."

So, I am back to where I was pretty much all of the time. I tried to boot xp
x64, and it boots fine. The ntldr and ntdetect.com versions are, and have
remained, the new versions. The current boot.ini is:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional X64"

I suspect that I can go back in and change the ntldr and ntdetect.com files
in c:\ and I will be able to boot win2k but not xp x64, but the point is to
have a dual boot system. What next? I thought about trying to boot up using
the old win2k disk and doing a repair, but I am not sure what should be
repaired, since it works if the old version of ntldr and ntdetect.com are in
c:\

"John Barnes" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> My experience was the opposite: always multiple Windows installations,
> >> never involving Linux or other flavors. So Microsoft's "Y" pattern -
> >> start
> >> in the System Partition then branch to one of several Boot Volumes -
> >> seems
> >> perfectly natural to me.
> >>

> >> You should be able to boot into Win2K by starting up with the WinXP x64
> >> versions of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM. If you can't, then you need to
> >> figure
> >> out why not.
> >>
> >> RC
> >> --
> >> R. C. White, CPA
> >> San Marcos, TX
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
> >>

> >> "dakota02" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Bjorn Landemoo

One option - if you have a floppy drive in your machine - would be a boot
floppy, containing boot.ini, and the Win2000 version of ntdetect.com and
ntldr. Of course, this also requires that BIOS is set to boot from floppy
before hard disk.

Best regards

Bjorn

> [...]

>> > Hopefully it is a short process, now, to get the system to dual boot into
>> > xp
>> > x64 and windows 2000. (I am quite certain that I could replace the
>> > versions
>> > of ntldr and ntdetect.com in c:\ and I would again be able to get into
>> > win2k,
>> > but not xp x64, although I have not tried that. What is different, now, is
>> > that I no longer get a boot menu. The machine just boots, as if there is
>> > only
>> > one operating system.
>> >
>> > As far as the disk management is concerned, c: is now listed as the system
>> > partition and f is just marked as healthy. Nothing is marked as boot, but
>> > guess that is because c: is marked as system, and it can't be marked as
>> > both.
>> >
>> > Anyway, what do I do, now, to get the machine to dual boot xp x64 and

Unfortunately, it looks like that is my only choice. I have no idea what the
problem is. I have the correct versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com, and
boot.ini is correct, but I cannot boot into win2k unless I put in the old
versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com, and then I can't boot xp x64.

So, how do I create the correct boot floppy? I treid making a bootable dos
floppy, and copied boot.ini and the old versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com
onto it, and then booted, but all I get is the A:> prompt.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with the mbr, but I am afraid that if I
try anything with that that I might totally screw up the machine to the point
where I can't get it to run, at all, in any OS.

"Bjorn Landemoo" wrote:

> [...]
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Wind ows XP Professional X64"
> >
> >I suspect that I can go back in and change the ntldr and ntdetect.com files
> >in c:\ and I will be able to boot win2k but not xp x64, but the point is to
> >have a dual boot system. What next? I thought about trying to boot up using
> >the old win2k disk and doing a repair, but I am not sure what should be
> >repaired, since it works if the old version of ntldr and ntdetect.com are in
> >c:\
> >

> >"John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> The command you wanted is bootcfg /rebuild to make sure the boot.ini
> >> entries are correct. Make sure you have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the
> >> x64 install disk on your system drive. You can drag and drop them when in
> >> your x64 system.
> >>

> >> "dakota02" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFrb3RhMDI=?=

OK, it gets even stranger. I made up a boot floppy by simply formatting under
xp x64. Then, I copied boot.ini and the old versions of ntldr and
ntdetect.com to the floppy and tried to boot. I got the menu, selected
Windows 2000, and Windows 2000 booted fine.

So, just to be sure, I rebooted, and this time, I selected xp x64. I got an
error related to NTOSKRNL and it would not boot. So, I went back to a regular
boot of the computer, selected xp x64 (which is the only boot option that
works without the floppy, since the c:\ drive has the new versions of ntldr
and ntdetect.com. Then, I made up another boot disk, but this time, I copied
the same version of boot.ini and the new versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com
to the boot disk. Then, I rebooted. Now, this boot disk will only boot into
xp x64. If I try to boot into Windows 2000, I get the same old
\winnt\system32\config\system missing or corrupt message.

So, here is the bizarre problem. Whether I try to boot from my hard drive,
or from a floppy drive, my system will only boot to the operating system
who's ntldr and ntdetect.com is either in c:\ or a:\ . This makes no sense to
me. I have seen several people complain about the same problem, but I've
never seen a solution. But, something in the boot sequence depends on the
version of ntldr and ntdetect.com. My impression was that as long as you use
the latest version of ntldr and ntdetect.com, everything should be fine, but
the latest version of ntldr and ntdetect.com do not allow me to load Windows
2000, while the older, Windows 2000 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com do not
allow me to load Windows XP Professional X64 SP1. (This last statement is as
it should be, from what I have heard.)

Is there a later version of ntldr and ntdetect.com that are meant for XP X64
SP1 that I don't have? The size on my files agrees with what I was told, and
I can't find any other versions on my machine, and these are the versions
that get placed on the drive when I do a repair from the XP X64 disk.
"dakota02" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > >So, I am back to where I was pretty much all of the time. I tried to boot xp
> > >x64, and it boots fine. The ntldr and ntdetect.com versions are, and have
> > >remained, the new versions. The current boot.ini is:
> > >
> > >[boot loader]
> > >timeout=20
> > >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WIN NT
> > >[operating systems]
> > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Window s 2000"
> > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Wind ows XP Professional X64"
> > >
> > >I suspect that I can go back in and change the ntldr and ntdetect.com files
> > >in c:\ and I will be able to boot win2k but not xp x64, but the point is to
> > >have a dual boot system. What next? I thought about trying to boot up using
> > >the old win2k disk and doing a repair, but I am not sure what should be
> > >repaired, since it works if the old version of ntldr and ntdetect.com are in

VWWall

dakota02 wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks like that is my only choice. I have no idea what the
> problem is. I have the correct versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com, and
> boot.ini is correct, but I cannot boot into win2k unless I put in the old
> versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com, and then I can't boot xp x64.
>
> So, how do I create the correct boot floppy? I treid making a bootable dos
> floppy, and copied boot.ini and the old versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com
> onto it, and then booted, but all I get is the A:> prompt.

Here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595

> I'm wondering if something is wrong with the mbr, but I am afraid that if I
> try anything with that that I might totally screw up the machine to the point
> where I can't get it to run, at all, in any OS.

fixmbr or fdisk /mbr will restore the original MBR. This won't hurt
anything unless you're using a boot program like Linux GRUB or LILO, or
other multi-boot program on it.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.

Bjorn Landemoo

I am not aware of any backwards comatibility problems with ntldr and
ntdetect.com from XP x64, but your system obviously is a proof that there -
under some special circumstances - might be one. To find out exactly what
causes the problem would take more time and tests than most users would
like to spend on it.

Just use your boot floppy (with the Win2000 versions of ntldr and
ntdetect.com) when you want to boot Win2000. Eject the floppy when you want
to boot XP x64.

Bjorn