Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't Burn DVD/CD's Under Vista 64-bit

Can't Burn DVD/CD's Under Vista 64-bit

=?Utf-8?B?V3lsZWU=?=

This is driving me crazy. I am using Vista 64-bit and cannot seem to burn
anything at all. My burner reads everything fine (plays movies, install
disks, etc.) but I can't write anything. I have tried using Windows Movie
Maker as well as Nero 7.7.5.1, always get the same result. My burner is a
Samsung SH-S182M. I have also tried my old burner (Sony DRU-710A) and I get
the same result. The Sony works fine on my other computer running XP Home. It
is like the burner can't finish the burn. Sometimes the disk is actually
burnt (I can see the burning on the disk) but it never gets finalized (or
concluded, or whatever) and other times the disk just remains blank. The
error I usually get is to the effect to place a blank disk in the burner,
even though one is in there. Other times the error is " Cannot create the
DVD. The DVD cannot be burned because an error occurred. Try using another
blank disc and make sure that your DVD burner is connected and working
properly. Learn more about this problem. "

Any ideas???

=?Utf-8?B?U3B5ZGFo?=

I'm going through exactly the same dramas with my Hitachi-LG GSA-4166B drive.
The problem seems to be that Vista regards the drive as "unknown." The
tricky bit is that it behaves normally as a reading device, so you don't
realise it isn't fully functional. If you do a search for your own DVD drive
models on http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/Default.aspx you'll find that the
Samsung is recognised by 32-bit Vista only, while your Sony is recognised by
neither 32 nor X64. I've reconciled myself to binning my drive, though if
someone can come up with a way of saving it I'll be most grateful. A friend
at Microsoft thought I might be able to get away with downloading Win XP
software, but that didn't work.
--
Spydah