Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Whats the difference?

Whats the difference?

=?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=

What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

John Barnes

If you have 4gig or less ram and no native 64-bit programs, the main
difference is the additional security. Offset by the difficulties finding
drivers and programs which run properly.

"Slee-Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

1. You can access more than 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.
2. You must use 64 bit drivers and there aren't that many.

--
P Hutchison

"Slee-Man" wrote:

> What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaQ==?=

I was about to post a similar question. So unless I am planning on haveing a
system with more than 4GB and not use native 64 bit apps I should go with the
32 bit version due to the driver issues?

Thanks
Dani

"Peter" wrote:

> 1. You can access more than 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.
> 2. You must use 64 bit drivers and there aren't that many.
>
> --
> P Hutchison
>

> "Slee-Man" wrote:
>
> > What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

Charlie Russel - MVP

Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was about to post a similar question. So unless I am planning on haveing
> system with more than 4GB and not use native 64 bit apps I should go with
> the
> 32 bit version due to the driver issues?
>
> Thanks
> Dani
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> 1. You can access more than 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.
>> 2. You must use 64 bit drivers and there aren't that many.
>>
>> --
>> P Hutchison
>>

>> "Slee-Man" wrote:
>>
>> > What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

BSchnur

> Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
> with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
> improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

At the very least, they will present a new and exciting challenge for
those seeking to undermine the security of Vista....

--
Barry Schnur

Charlie Russel - MVP

Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"BSchnur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does,
>> go
>> with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
>> improved driver requirements in Vista x64.
>>

> At the very least, they will present a new and exciting challenge for
> those seeking to undermine the security of Vista....
>
> --
> Barry Schnur

BSchnur

> Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
> protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

Understood -- we only approve of the most clever hacks.

--
Barry Schnur

Tony Sperling

Many, many years ago, when I arrived at work early one morning there was a
bit of commotion - the place had had a nightly visitor. Later, I overheard
the boss trying to persuade the insurance guy that the locks were all in
order. The reply was: "Yea, don't worry. We only have locks to keep the
honest people out, anyway!"

I guess, that is as much as we can expect. The rest is a battle on human
creativity!

Tony. . .

"BSchnur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer

overflow
> > protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care

of.

> Understood -- we only approve of the most clever hacks.
>
> --
> Barry Schnur

I don't know whats wrong!!! =?Utf-8?B?S2lt?= Wireless Networking 2 09-08-2005 08:21 AM
whats this error?? Neo VHDL 4 01-31-2005 12:47 PM
Whats happening to my router? Bryan Martin Cisco 5 01-10-2004 01:23 AM
$v = shift OR$_[0] on a filehandle, whats teh difereence Eduard W. Lohmann Perl 1 12-02-2003 06:30 PM
perl 6 syntax ?? whats changed ?? DukeNM Perl 0 12-01-2003 11:00 AM

Advertisments