Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Two laptops, no luck!

Two laptops, no luck!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=

I am afraid this is going to seem a bit dumb, but I have two computers, both
new laptops with wifi, and both using windows XP sp2. They're in neighbouring
rooms, and I'd like set up a simple adhoc network or whatever its called.
Having spent hours going through the 'Help and Support' entries, I found I
was just going round in circles and the compters keep saying no wireless
network available.
Is there anyone who can explain what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for your time
C.

Malke

Cathal wrote:

> I am afraid this is going to seem a bit dumb, but I have two
> computers, both new laptops with wifi, and both using windows XP sp2.
> They're in neighbouring rooms, and I'd like set up a simple adhoc
> network or whatever its called. Having spent hours going through the
> 'Help and Support' entries, I found I was just going round in circles
> and the compters keep saying no wireless network available.
> Is there anyone who can explain what I'm doing wrong?
> Thanks for your time
> C.

Do you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a wireless access point? How
do you normally connect to the Internet?

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=

I connect to the internet using a dsl (broadband) connection. Once again, not
to simplify things too much but it just plugs into the back of my main
computer. I think its a LAN Rhine II fast ethernet adapter. I think the big
problem though, is that my two computers don't seem to be able to detect each
other.
Thanks again for your time.
Cathal

"Malke" wrote:

> Do you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a wireless access point? How
> do you normally connect to the Internet?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Carey Holzman

If you'd like to work this through one-on-one, send me an email at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and I will walk you through the steps.

Carey

"Cathal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am afraid this is going to seem a bit dumb, but I have two computers,
>both
> new laptops with wifi, and both using windows XP sp2. They're in
> neighbouring
> rooms, and I'd like set up a simple adhoc network or whatever its called.
> Having spent hours going through the 'Help and Support' entries, I found I
> was just going round in circles and the compters keep saying no wireless
> network available.
> Is there anyone who can explain what I'm doing wrong?
> Thanks for your time
> C.

Malke

Cathal wrote:

> I connect to the internet using a dsl (broadband) connection. Once
> again, not to simplify things too much but it just plugs into the back
> of my main computer. I think its a LAN Rhine II fast ethernet adapter.
> I think the big problem though, is that my two computers don't seem to
> be able to detect each other.
> Thanks again for your time.
> Cathal
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Do you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a wireless access point?
>> How do you normally connect to the Internet?

It doesn't sound to me like you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a
wireless access point. It sounds like you just have a dsl modem and
your main computer is plugged into that directly. If this is your
setup, you need to add the equipment I mentioned. Here is a link to
network setup information by Linksys - you don't have to buy Linksys
equipment, of course:

http://www.linksys.com/edu/page4.asp

After you've gone there, if you have more questions, please post back to
this thread.

Malke