Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot Problems with Xp Pro x64

Boot Problems with Xp Pro x64

=?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=

I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am using a
Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture so it
should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I can not
figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor goes
blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would happen
if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in Safe
mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is not
being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
--
builder1

Jane C

What graphics card do you have in the pc? Can you install the appropriate
drivers for it?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
"Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am using a
> Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture so
> it
> should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I can
> not
> figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
> windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor
> goes
> blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would
> happen
> if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in Safe
> mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is not
> being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
> --
> builder1

Tony Sperling

If you have a Linux Live CD at hand, it might be usefull for you to see the
machine boot properly - maybe you get other error messages that could reveal
something, or just confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Hardware
side of things.

Are you trying to boot from a HD that you harvested from another machine?
Are you using SATA or RAID, or perhaps both?

Go into BIOS Setup and disable anything you are not using and that doesn't
have anything attached.

Like Jane says - video drivers is a first natural thought but something
could kill it before that is being processed.

Tony. . .

"Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am using

> Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture so

it
> should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I can

not
> figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
> windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor

goes
> blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would

happen
> if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in Safe
> mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is not
> being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
> --
> builder1

=?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=

I have a ATI X300SE (128 RAM). I have not loaded the specific drivers for it
yet. I was going to try and download them and install in safe mode (the only
way the computer boots). Do you think not having the correct drivers is
keeping the machine from booting, or it do you thin it is booting but just
not displaying anything since there are no drivers? If this is the problem
wouldn’t it also happen when I tried to boot in safe mode or does safe mode
use basic windows graphics card drivers?
--
builder1

"Jane C" wrote:

> What graphics card do you have in the pc? Can you install the appropriate
> drivers for it?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> "Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am using a
> > Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture so
> > it
> > should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I can
> > not
> > figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
> > windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor
> > goes
> > blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would
> > happen
> > if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in Safe
> > mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is not
> > being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
> > --
> > builder1

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's a known problem with some of the ATI cards. The workaround is to
install the latest ATI drivers in safe mode. See my blog post for all the
details.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...h-Install.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a ATI X300SE (128 RAM). I have not loaded the specific drivers for
>it
> yet. I was going to try and download them and install in safe mode (the
> only
> way the computer boots). Do you think not having the correct drivers is
> keeping the machine from booting, or it do you thin it is booting but just
> not displaying anything since there are no drivers? If this is the problem
> wouldn’t it also happen when I tried to boot in safe mode or does safe
> mode
> use basic windows graphics card drivers?
> --
> builder1
>

> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> What graphics card do you have in the pc? Can you install the
>> appropriate
>> drivers for it?
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> "Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am
>> >using a
>> > Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture
>> > so
>> > it
>> > should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I
>> > can
>> > not
>> > figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
>> > windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor
>> > goes
>> > blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would
>> > happen
>> > if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in
>> > Safe
>> > mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is
>> > not
>> > being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
>> > --
>> > builder1

Charlie Russel - MVP

I think it's that old ATI problem. You remember, don't you? You go all the
way through the install, and then when it should be going to first login, it
goes black.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...h-Install.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have a Linux Live CD at hand, it might be usefull for you to see
> the
> machine boot properly - maybe you get other error messages that could
> reveal
> something, or just confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Hardware
> side of things.
>
> Are you trying to boot from a HD that you harvested from another machine?
> Are you using SATA or RAID, or perhaps both?
>
> Go into BIOS Setup and disable anything you are not using and that doesn't
> have anything attached.
>
> Like Jane says - video drivers is a first natural thought but something
> could kill it before that is being processed.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am using

>> Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture so

> it
>> should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I can

> not
>> figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
>> windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor

> goes
>> blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would

> happen
>> if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in Safe
>> mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is not
>> being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
>> --
>> builder1

Tony Sperling

Ahem! Now that you mention it, but I have never had an ATI - besides nVidia,
I really think the last one was a Diamond? (Gosh!)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think it's that old ATI problem. You remember, don't you? You go all the
> way through the install, and then when it should be going to first login,

it
> goes black.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...h-Install.aspx

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you have a Linux Live CD at hand, it might be usefull for you to see
> > the
> > machine boot properly - maybe you get other error messages that could
> > reveal
> > something, or just confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Hardware
> > side of things.
> >
> > Are you trying to boot from a HD that you harvested from another

machine?
> > Are you using SATA or RAID, or perhaps both?
> >
> > Go into BIOS Setup and disable anything you are not using and that

doesn't
> > have anything attached.
> >
> > Like Jane says - video drivers is a first natural thought but something
> > could kill it before that is being processed.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I am building a computer and installing XP Pro x64 for the OS. I am

using
> >> Intel Core 2 Due 6400 processor which uses the Intel EM64T archecture

so
> > it
> >> should support the OS, but the computer will not boot normally, and I

can
> > not
> >> figuer out why. It goes through the POST process fine and then when the
> >> windows screen should appear the compuer stops processing. The monitor

> > goes
> >> blank as if it is in power save mode (the monitor) the same as would

> > happen
> >> if the video signal had been cut. Also the OS will load if i boot in

Safe
> >> mode, so i can not figure out why it will not load normally. This is

not
> >> being used for a network or anything, just a single PC.
> >> --
> >> builder1

Charlie Russel - MVP

Now see, I hardly ever use nvidia. After all the problems we've had with
their mobos, I made a decision.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:%23mhgMg%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ahem! Now that you mention it, but I have never had an ATI - besides
> nVidia,
> I really think the last one was a Diamond? (Gosh!)
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I think it's that old ATI problem. You remember, don't you? You go all
>> the
>> way through the install, and then when it should be going to first login,

> it
>> goes black.
>>

> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...h-Install.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If you have a Linux Live CD at hand, it might be usefull for you to see
>> > the
>> > machine boot properly - maybe you get other error messages that could
>> > reveal
>> > something, or just confirm that there is nothing wrong with the
>> > Hardware
>> > side of things.
>> >
>> > Are you trying to boot from a HD that you harvested from another

> machine?
>> > Are you using SATA or RAID, or perhaps both?
>> >
>> > Go into BIOS Setup and disable anything you are not using and that

> doesn't
>> > have anything attached.
>> >
>> > Like Jane says - video drivers is a first natural thought but something
>> > could kill it before that is being processed.
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Builder1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> using

> so
>> > it

> can
>> > not
>> > goes
>> > happen

> Safe

> not

Tony Sperling

Well, I am on the 590 chipset, and I can not complain - asside from the
added discomfort of remembering to go through the in&un-install routine for
every system in this multi-boot setup, which, frankly, is stupid - no, I've
always been pleased with the function and their drivers seldom have any
scary surprises to show. The GPU temperatures are always well in-check for
the non-OC'ed cards. But, of course, ATI is the only competitor, it has to
be good stuff or they would've been joining the Dino's yesterday!

Seeing that they bedded up with AMD that is probably the way to go, but
there really is such a thing as mental inertia!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now see, I hardly ever use nvidia. After all the problems we've had with
> their mobos, I made a decision.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:%23mhgMg%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ahem! Now that you mention it, but I have never had an ATI - besides
> > nVidia,
> > I really think the last one was a Diamond? (Gosh!)
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I think it's that old ATI problem. You remember, don't you? You go all
> >> the
> >> way through the install, and then when it should be going to first

login,
> > it
> >> goes black.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...h-Install.aspx

> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

see

> > machine?

> > doesn't

something

> > using

archecture
> > so

> > can

monitor

> > Safe

> > not

=?Utf-8?B?QnVpbGRlcjE=?=

So 1) thanks everyone for the responses, they would have helped if I had
still not been able to get the machine up and running. 2) Before I was able
to read all the other posts I was able to get the machine up. I am still not
quite sure what the problem was.

If anyone is interested this is what I did and how it started: I booted in
safe mode and installed all the drivers I could from the mobo (ASUS P5B) cd,
this was only the network adapter and USB drivers. Once I did that I was able
to go to MS update, but the updates would not load (my assumption is that
this is a restriction in safe mode). Then I went to ATI and download the
latest x64 drivers, but they also would not load when I was in Safe mode. So
I tried to shut down and restart thinking that would make a difference, but I
forgot to enter safe mode and it loaded the same as it has been (going
blank). So at that point I pushed the power button to turn it off, but
apparently did not hold it long enough. This is where the magic happened,
after I pushed the power button the computer began to finish loading windows
and ran normally. The best I could tell was that it went into something like
hibernation right away before actually completing the OS load and apparently
when I pushed the power button it woke it up. (This is just my theory).
Anyway so I was able to go to the MS update site and bring the OS up to date
and also load the graphics drivers. I turned the machine off and on again and
it loaded fine. So not exactly sure if the drivers made the difference or if
it was doing the hibernation thing all along, but so far its up and running
stable. Hope this helps someone in the future.

--
builder1