Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installing a 16-bit app in 2003 x64

Installing a 16-bit app in 2003 x64

=?Utf-8?B?TmljayBU?=

Is there anyway to install a 16-bit app on windows 2003 x64? I have an app
called eTime with a 16-bit installer that will not install. Is there any
sort of emulator to support 16bit apps? This is a terminal services server,
so using vmware is not really going to work for each user.

Tony Sperling

No 16bit process will run, no. If the app itself is 32bit, and is not
relying on any driver-like system calls, I [think] I can recall hearing of
someone tweaking something like this into installing through 'Compatibility
Mode'. But, generally, the answer should be - no!

If you need something like this, you probably know this - there is a Web
Based Time Sheet system of the same name here:

http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/payroll/ETime.htm

Tony. . .

"Nick T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there anyway to install a 16-bit app on windows 2003 x64? I have an

app
> called eTime with a 16-bit installer that will not install. Is there any
> sort of emulator to support 16bit apps? This is a terminal services

server,
> so using vmware is not really going to work for each user.

=?Utf-8?B?TmljayBU?=

Thanks. I got the app running, I just copied it off another box and copied
all the DLL's to the proper locations. It looks like its a 32bit app, but
the installer is 16bit.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> No 16bit process will run, no. If the app itself is 32bit, and is not
> relying on any driver-like system calls, I [think] I can recall hearing of
> someone tweaking something like this into installing through 'Compatibility
> Mode'. But, generally, the answer should be - no!
>
> If you need something like this, you probably know this - there is a Web
> Based Time Sheet system of the same name here:
>
> http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/payroll/ETime.htm
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Nick T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there anyway to install a 16-bit app on windows 2003 x64? I have an

> app
> > called eTime with a 16-bit installer that will not install. Is there any
> > sort of emulator to support 16bit apps? This is a terminal services

> server,
> > so using vmware is not really going to work for each user.

Tony Sperling

Ah, yes - good thinking, dodging the installer altogether!

Tony. . .

"Nick T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I got the app running, I just copied it off another box and

copied
> all the DLL's to the proper locations. It looks like its a 32bit app, but
> the installer is 16bit.
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > No 16bit process will run, no. If the app itself is 32bit, and is not
> > relying on any driver-like system calls, I [think] I can recall hearing

of
> > someone tweaking something like this into installing through

'Compatibility
> > Mode'. But, generally, the answer should be - no!
> >
> > If you need something like this, you probably know this - there is a Web
> > Based Time Sheet system of the same name here:
> >
> > http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/payroll/ETime.htm
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Nick T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Is there anyway to install a 16-bit app on windows 2003 x64? I have

an
> > app
> > > called eTime with a 16-bit installer that will not install. Is there

any
> > > sort of emulator to support 16bit apps? This is a terminal services

> > server,
> > > so using vmware is not really going to work for each user.

Charlie Russel - MVP

That definitely confirms that the application itself is not 16bit. Glad you
got it all working.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64