Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hardware Upgrade

Hardware Upgrade

Tony Sperling

I've noticed this too. Rebooting has it's own way of lining things up,
sometimes. I had trouble once getting sufficient power to one device,
without draining the rest. I disconnected everything, and moved all the
connectors around and when I booted quite a number of those devices wasn't
recognized, most importantly the RAID. Like you said: one warm and one
cold-boot and everything was back in business.

Tony. . .

"NuTCrAcKeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OnlW9%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> if its the same chipset, you should be good. The big problem with moving
> boards seems to be support for the disk controller.
>
> I recently took a drive from an XP system using a gigabyte Athlon XP

3200+,
> and attached it to an ASRock 939 board. It fired right up. Had to do a
> couple reboots for the new PNP devices to be detected and device support
> installed ... but largely it was seamless.
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Guys,
> > the new MB has the same chipset as the old one. The only difference is

the
> > old one is a socket 754 and the new is a socket 939. Both are MSI boards
> > with
> > the G force 4 chipset.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, that's certainly possible. But the potential savings make it worth
> >> the
> >> effort.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

did

F6

complete

If

=?Utf-8?B?UHVmZm5zdHVmZg==?=

I'm in the same boat except I'm on 939, abit fatal1ty an8 with an opteron 175
and am moving to a msi p6n sli platinum with a c2d e6400 which also has an
nforce chipset. I'm going to do like I've done in the past and remove any
chip/mb specific drivers before shutting down to do the swap. I'm using
retail ultimate so if it screws up I'll just do a clean install however I'd
just like to swap my stuff out and not have to mess with the os installation
plus the software.