Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hardware Upgrade

Hardware Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i change
the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Theo

Most likely. When you install Windows it requires hardware
drivers for the configuration at the time it is installed
and a new motherboard would probably have different hardware
than your current one. This includes, but not limited to,
the board chipset, sound chip, drive controller(chips),
video card, etc.

When you change the MB and try to boot from the hard drive
Windows tries to load the drivers for your new hardware
while also trying to load the drivers for the old hardware
and there usually is a conflict. The result is usually a
system crash and an inability to boot from that hard drive
because of system corruption.

Rickey wrote:
> I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i change
> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

=?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

Thanks Theo,
I was hoping to avoid this, the motherboard has the same chipset as the old
one but it is a 939 where the old one is a 754. I have a large external
drive, is there any way to back up the contents of my boot drive and restore
them later?

"Theo" wrote:

> Most likely. When you install Windows it requires hardware
> drivers for the configuration at the time it is installed
> and a new motherboard would probably have different hardware
> than your current one. This includes, but not limited to,
> the board chipset, sound chip, drive controller(chips),
> video card, etc.
>
> When you change the MB and try to boot from the hard drive
> Windows tries to load the drivers for your new hardware
> while also trying to load the drivers for the old hardware
> and there usually is a conflict. The result is usually a
> system crash and an inability to boot from that hard drive
> because of system corruption.
>
> Rickey wrote:
> > I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i change
> > the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Theo

Details of the old and new MB would be useful.

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would be one way to
transfer information between the two.

Rickey wrote:
> Thanks Theo,
> I was hoping to avoid this, the motherboard has the same chipset as the old
> one but it is a 939 where the old one is a 754. I have a large external
> drive, is there any way to back up the contents of my boot drive and restore
> them later?
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Most likely. When you install Windows it requires hardware
>> drivers for the configuration at the time it is installed
>> and a new motherboard would probably have different hardware
>> than your current one. This includes, but not limited to,
>> the board chipset, sound chip, drive controller(chips),
>> video card, etc.
>>
>> When you change the MB and try to boot from the hard drive
>> Windows tries to load the drivers for your new hardware
>> while also trying to load the drivers for the old hardware
>> and there usually is a conflict. The result is usually a
>> system crash and an inability to boot from that hard drive
>> because of system corruption.
>>
>> Rickey wrote:
>>> I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i change
>>> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Aaron Kelley

I've had luck in the past running a Windows XP repair install immediately
after moving the drive to a new PC. (In this case, replacing the
motherboard with a different one would be like moving the drive to a new
PC.)

If you are using a RAID array, then you would also have to be able to set up
the RAID array on the new board without losing data for this to have any
chance of working. I guess that depends on what you are using for your
RAID.

- Aaron

"Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i
>change
> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Charlie Russel - MVP

Aaron's suggestion of a repair install is a good one. You'll need to have a
floppy disk with your RAID controller driver available and press F6 when
prompted to install the RAID drivers.

If your RAID array is a different controller in the new system from the old,
you may have issues. Please make sure you do a full and complete backup
before you start - depending on the RAID type and controller, you may need
to recreate the array from scratch.

Whatever you do, you will need to re-activate Windows. Changing the
motherboard will always trigger an activation event.

Charlie.
"Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i
>change
> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Theo

I agree the Repair Install is worth trying, but I just moved
a hard drive from a MSI K8T800 Neo FSR socket 754 board to a
MSI K8T800Pro Neo2-F socket 939 board and trying to do the
Repair Install failed to update the system. The system
would crash during Windows boot so I finally gave up and did
a clean install. When I started I thought there would be
enough compatibility between the 2 boards to allow a Repair
Install, but it didn't work.

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Aaron's suggestion of a repair install is a good one. You'll need to
> have a floppy disk with your RAID controller driver available and press
> F6 when prompted to install the RAID drivers.
>
> If your RAID array is a different controller in the new system from the
> old, you may have issues. Please make sure you do a full and complete
> backup before you start - depending on the RAID type and controller, you
> may need to recreate the array from scratch.
>
> Whatever you do, you will need to re-activate Windows. Changing the
> motherboard will always trigger an activation event.
>
> Charlie.
> "Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i
>> change
>> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, that's certainly possible. But the potential savings make it worth the
effort.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree the Repair Install is worth trying, but I just moved a hard drive
>from a MSI K8T800 Neo FSR socket 754 board to a MSI K8T800Pro Neo2-F socket
>939 board and trying to do the Repair Install failed to update the system.
>The system would crash during Windows boot so I finally gave up and did a
>clean install. When I started I thought there would be enough
>compatibility between the 2 boards to allow a Repair Install, but it didn't
>work.
>
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Aaron's suggestion of a repair install is a good one. You'll need to have
>> a floppy disk with your RAID controller driver available and press F6
>> when prompted to install the RAID drivers.
>>
>> If your RAID array is a different controller in the new system from the
>> old, you may have issues. Please make sure you do a full and complete
>> backup before you start - depending on the RAID type and controller, you
>> may need to recreate the array from scratch.
>>
>> Whatever you do, you will need to re-activate Windows. Changing the
>> motherboard will always trigger an activation event.
>>
>> Charlie.
>> "Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I wish to upgrade my MB and CPU, my OS is set up in a raid array. If i
>>> change
>>> the motherboard then will i have to reinstall Windows

=?Utf-8?B?Umlja2V5?=

Thanks Guys,
the new MB has the same chipset as the old one. The only difference is the
old one is a socket 754 and the new is a socket 939. Both are MSI boards with
the G force 4 chipset.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yes, that's certainly possible. But the potential savings make it worth the
> effort.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I agree the Repair Install is worth trying, but I just moved a hard drive
> >from a MSI K8T800 Neo FSR socket 754 board to a MSI K8T800Pro Neo2-F socket
> >939 board and trying to do the Repair Install failed to update the system.
> >The system would crash during Windows boot so I finally gave up and did a
> >clean install. When I started I thought there would be enough
> >compatibility between the 2 boards to allow a Repair Install, but it didn't
> >work.
> >
> > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> >> Aaron's suggestion of a repair install is a good one. You'll need to have
> >> a floppy disk with your RAID controller driver available and press F6
> >> when prompted to install the RAID drivers.
> >>
> >> If your RAID array is a different controller in the new system from the
> >> old, you may have issues. Please make sure you do a full and complete
> >> backup before you start - depending on the RAID type and controller, you
> >> may need to recreate the array from scratch.
> >>
> >> Whatever you do, you will need to re-activate Windows. Changing the
> >> motherboard will always trigger an activation event.
> >>
> >> Charlie.
> >> "Rickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

NuTCrAcKeR

if its the same chipset, you should be good. The big problem with moving
boards seems to be support for the disk controller.

I recently took a drive from an XP system using a gigabyte Athlon XP 3200+,
and attached it to an ASRock 939 board. It fired right up. Had to do a
couple reboots for the new PNP devices to be detected and device support
installed ... but largely it was seamless.

- NuTs