Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

=?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3RlbQ==?=

Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
operating system

DH

> Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

NO!

> What is major difference between 64 bit operating system and 32 bit
> operating system

the 64 bit operating system is for 64 bit cpu's like the AMD 64 and the
corresponding Intel offerings. The 32 bit operating system is for 32 bit
cpu's.

DH

Tony Sperling

No - that is not possible. The difference is in the width of the Data-Path.
Compare a two-lane Highway with a four-lane - you will not be able to travel
faster on the four-lane version, unless the two-lane Highway is filled up to
begin with! This is the essential difference. There is no processing speed
difference unless your 32bit system is stressed.

So, you wouldn't have any 64bit OS's in the first place if it wasn't for
64bit hardware. You have 64bit hardware and you need a 64bit OS to run
that - not the other way around. With the modern processors that was made
popular by AMD, they incorporated a 32bit layer into the processor that
makes 32bit software compatible (including OS's), but you still need the
hardware to have it up and running.

Tony. . .

"windows 64 bit Operation System" <windows 64 bit Operation
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor
>
> What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
> operating system

Theo

Can you put 5 gallons of paint into a 1 gallon can?

What is the difference between a 5-gallon can and a 1-gallon
can?

windows 64 bit Operation System wrote:
> Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor
>
> What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
> operating system

=?Utf-8?B?REhEU01JQQ==?=

"windows 64 bit Operation System" wrote:

> Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor
>
> What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
> operating system

Don't run out and buy a 64 bit OS for your 32 bit system, it won't install.
If you have you'll have to upgrade to a dual core to run it. Be sure you can
find x64 drivers for your old I/O harware if you want to use it. This has
always been a problem when installing a new release OS.

Homer J. Simpson

> Don't run out and buy a 64 bit OS for your 32 bit system, it won't
> install.
> If you have you'll have to upgrade to a dual core to run it.

Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
automatically imply the other.

BSchnur

> Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
> automatically imply the other.

I think nearly any dual core CPU's currently sold are 64 bit. On the
other side there certainly are single core 64 bit CPU's -- both from
Intel and AMD.

In any case, 64 bit CPU's will readily work with a 32 bit OS.

--
Barry Schnur

Charlie Russel - MVP

"Intel Core Duo" is NOT 64bit. Intel Core 2 Duo is.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"BSchnur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
>> automatically imply the other.
>>

> I think nearly any dual core CPU's currently sold are 64 bit. On the
> other side there certainly are single core 64 bit CPU's -- both from
> Intel and AMD.
>
> In any case, 64 bit CPU's will readily work with a 32 bit OS.
>

> --
> Barry Schnur

BSchnur

> "Intel Core Duo" is NOT 64bit. Intel Core 2 Duo is.

OK -- I *knew* there was a reason I said 'nearly any' -- thanks for the
catch lad.

Of course the older Intel 478 hyperthreading CPU's were also 32 bit.
But that was mostly marketing hype for dual processing (though it was a
good demonstration of the need for good CPU heat sinks and fans).

--
Barry Schnur

Russell AliBey

Its a valid question, for you to ask, I understand the confusion. You
can install 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit machine, however, it doesn't work the
other way around.

The big difference is the amount of address space in a 64 bit operating
system. The storage limitations are pushed higher (meaning larger hard
drives), 64-bit Windows can access more than 3GB of RAM per process
(application), and the hardware can support much larger drives. The
limitations of what can be done with the software are also decreased.
Applications that are most affected by this are server applications like
databases and web servers that need large amounts of memory to increase the
concurrent load they can handle. Also video games, graphics and other math
intensive programs benefit from this because of the increased scale of the
numbers that can be manipulated, so the math can be more precise and carried
out to much greater scale.

Basically, if you are asking about whether you should install 64 bit
Windows on your computer, you should probably just install 32 bit, or ask a
friend or local professional if they can install it for you. You are
probably not going to get a correct answer for your hardware configuration
by asking online. Not to mention, having someone do it for you or explain it
to you in person is going to benefit you, because you can ask questions in
greater detail.

-Russell