Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Semi OT: What sort of limitations do SBS 2003 have over retail server and exchange?

Semi OT: What sort of limitations do SBS 2003 have over retail server and exchange?

Sartan Dragonbane

Note topic!
Small Business Server is quite inexpensive in comparison to purchasing
Windows 2003 and exchange seperately.
What sort of limitations are there?
Microsoft documentation is surprisingly sparse in comparing the two
products, it's mostly marketing sales pitches and nothing technical.
Is the SQL server handicapped in any way in the premium edition?

Neil

"Sartan Dragonbane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Note topic!
> Small Business Server is quite inexpensive in comparison to purchasing
> Windows 2003 and exchange seperately.
> What sort of limitations are there?
> Microsoft documentation is surprisingly sparse in comparing the two
> products, it's mostly marketing sales pitches and nothing technical.
> Is the SQL server handicapped in any way in the premium edition?

from the SBS site at M$

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rview/generalf
aq.mspx

or

http://tinyurl.com/zm65

What is Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server?

A. Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server is designed for partners
who want to deliver a server solution based on Windows Server 2003 as
part of their product offering. It provides the same version of Windows
Server 2003 that is used by Windows Small Business Server 2003, but it
has none of the added features included in the standard edition or
premium edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server has the following
restrictions:

• Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for
Small Business Server.

• Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the
Active Directory® forest.

• Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other
domains.

• A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any
child domains.

• Each additional server must have a Windows Server 2003 for Small
Business Server client access license (CAL). You can use CALs for each
user or for each device.

and here is another point that you may want to consider from the same
page:

Q. Is it possible to install the server applications included with
Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a different computer running
Windows Server? For example, I want to run SQL Server on the computer
running Windows Small Business Server 2003, but I want to run Exchange
Server 2003 on a different computer.

A. No. The server applications that come with the product must be
installed on the same physical machine, if they are installed at all. The
only exception is that FrontPage 2003, which is included with the premium
edition, may be installed on a single client computer in the Windows
Small Business Server 2003 network.

HTH

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Sartan Dragonbane

Thanks.
Doesn't look like anything is going to be a problem.

news:Xns94E4A205314Fneilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248. 16...
> "Sartan Dragonbane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > Note topic!
> > Small Business Server is quite inexpensive in comparison to purchasing
> > Windows 2003 and exchange seperately.
> > What sort of limitations are there?
> > Microsoft documentation is surprisingly sparse in comparing the two
> > products, it's mostly marketing sales pitches and nothing technical.
> > Is the SQL server handicapped in any way in the premium edition?
> >

> from the SBS site at M$
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rview/generalf
> aq.mspx
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/zm65
>

> What is Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server?
>
> A. Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server is designed for partners
> who want to deliver a server solution based on Windows Server 2003 as
> part of their product offering. It provides the same version of Windows
> Server 2003 that is used by Windows Small Business Server 2003, but it
> has none of the added features included in the standard edition or
> premium edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003.
>
> Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server has the following
> restrictions:
>
> . Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for
> Small Business Server.
>
> . Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the
> Active Directory® forest.
>
> . Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other
> domains.
>
> . A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any
> child domains.
>
> . Each additional server must have a Windows Server 2003 for Small
> Business Server client access license (CAL). You can use CALs for each
> user or for each device.
>

> and here is another point that you may want to consider from the same
> page:
>
> Q. Is it possible to install the server applications included with
> Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a different computer running
> Windows Server? For example, I want to run SQL Server on the computer
> running Windows Small Business Server 2003, but I want to run Exchange
> Server 2003 on a different computer.
>
> A. No. The server applications that come with the product must be
> installed on the same physical machine, if they are installed at all. The
> only exception is that FrontPage 2003, which is included with the premium
> edition, may be installed on a single client computer in the Windows
> Small Business Server 2003 network.
>

> HTH
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP #30

billyw

also sbs2k3 has things as standard that the seperates dont..

"Sartan Dragonbane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

> > Q. Is it possible to install the server applications included with
> > Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a different computer running
> > Windows Server? For example, I want to run SQL Server on the computer
> > running Windows Small Business Server 2003, but I want to run Exchange
> > Server 2003 on a different computer.
> >
> > A. No. The server applications that come with the product must be
> > installed on the same physical machine, if they are installed at all.

The
> > only exception is that FrontPage 2003, which is included with the

premium
> > edition, may be installed on a single client computer in the Windows
> > Small Business Server 2003 network.
> >

> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Neil MCNGP #30
> > "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

Kendal Emery

You are also limited to 75 users......

Up from 50 in previous editions, but still limited.