Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Kensington Expert Mouse

Kensington Expert Mouse

rvp@ncf.ca

Anyone with a Kensington Expert Mouse (and probably other Kensington
devices) may have lost some button functionality when moving to 64-bit
Windows XP. According to Kensington, Vista will handle full
configuration of their products, but with 64-bit version of XP, you're
SOOL.

Here is my solution to be able to continue using all four buttons on
my Expert Mouse as I want:

- install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 driver for XP 64-bit, and tell it
you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model (may also work with other
selection);

- install free X-Mouse Button Control tool(http://www.highrez.co.uk/
downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) which allows remapping of Expert
Mouse buttons

The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as
the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as
the left x button.

Enjoy,
R.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks for posting that. Do you have any objections if I add it to my blog
site on x64? I try to "store" things there since the newsgroups aren't here
forever.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anyone with a Kensington Expert Mouse (and probably other Kensington
> devices) may have lost some button functionality when moving to 64-bit
> Windows XP. According to Kensington, Vista will handle full
> configuration of their products, but with 64-bit version of XP, you're
> SOOL.
>
> Here is my solution to be able to continue using all four buttons on
> my Expert Mouse as I want:
>
> - install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 driver for XP 64-bit, and tell it
> you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model (may also work with other
> selection);
>
> - install free X-Mouse Button Control tool(http://www.highrez.co.uk/
> downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) which allows remapping of Expert
> Mouse buttons
>
> The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as
> the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as
> the left x button.
>
> Enjoy,
> R.

rvp@ncf.ca

On Jan 31, 12:48 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for posting that. Do you have any objections if I add it to my blog
> site on x64? I try to "store" things there since the newsgroups aren't here
> forever.

Please do, I think it's worth sharing, because unlike what Kensington
seems to think, not everyone running 64-bit XP will want to move to
Vista, now or later.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Done.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> On Jan 31, 12:48 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Thanks for posting that. Do you have any objections if I add it to my
>> blog
>> site on x64? I try to "store" things there since the newsgroups aren't
>> here
>> forever.

> Please do, I think it's worth sharing, because unlike what Kensington
> seems to think, not everyone running 64-bit XP will want to move to
> Vista, now or later.

DP

Seems like there was someone 6 to 8 months ago who posted here with a
problem using his mouse. Not sure it if was the Kensington Expert.
As I recall, the person was an architect or had a similar type job and used
very specific CAD-type program and was ticked off to find out he couldn't
use his mouse any more. Perhaps a search would turn up his post and the
discussion that followed.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anyone with a Kensington Expert Mouse (and probably other Kensington
> devices) may have lost some button functionality when moving to 64-bit
> Windows XP. According to Kensington, Vista will handle full
> configuration of their products, but with 64-bit version of XP, you're
> SOOL.
>
> Here is my solution to be able to continue using all four buttons on
> my Expert Mouse as I want:
>
> - install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 driver for XP 64-bit, and tell it
> you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model (may also work with other
> selection);
>
> - install free X-Mouse Button Control tool(http://www.highrez.co.uk/
> downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) which allows remapping of Expert
> Mouse buttons
>
> The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as
> the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as
> the left x button.
>
> Enjoy,
> R.

=?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

Hi All, it's me again. And again, I apologize in advance for improper
protocols - I have no wish to deride anyone, but I am an aged Mechanical
Design Engineer, and I tend to be more blunt than most.

Since that last round, I located Itac and their Evolution, and got one for
eval. Despite what they claim, the bearings were ratchety and jammed
occasionally, but worst of all, the microswitches were very low quality. In
just over 3 months use, 3 of the 6 failed completely, and one required a
sliding activation. They got rather upset at my report, and I haven't heard
from them since. The Evolution went to the dumpster.

I am now using a Dell mouse provided by our IT group, there is no ID on it
but the brand name, and a careful check of Dell's site does not locate it.
It has 2 buttons, as common, a pair of tiny "fwd/bck" buttons I never use,
and a scroll wheel that can accept middle-button activations.

My situation is this: I am a Machine Design Engineer, I create mechanisms
for aerospace industries that frequently exceed 500 parts, weigh 1200 pounds,
and have manufacture tolerances of +/-.001 inch. I use SolidWorks, a high-end
CAD package from Dassault, to generate 3-D models for analysis and 2-D
drawings for manufacture. We have proven that SW2007x64 on WinXPx64 gives
significantly better performance in speed and accuracy over 32-bit
workstations, and we have enough federal/military/R&D contracts to justify
the expense/savings ratio. AS a DE, reference books, pubs, and drawings are
critical, and common, so desktop space is important, hence my preference for
trackballs for their smaller footprint. I have also found that
finger-movement is more easy for long periods than whole-hand translation,
and I frequently work 60 hour weeks.

I have seen the 3DConnexion 'SpaceBall' and various semi-clones from the
same genus, and nixed it because I use my left hand for hot-keys,
CTRL/ALT/SHFT mods, and light data entry.

I must have a minimum of 3 buttons, *with* a scroll wheel, for dynamic model
rotation and family tree manipulation. I would much prefer 4 buttons minimum
with programmable software to allow 1 button to become double-click, set too
fast to do it manually (ingesting large amounts of caffeine makes this really
useful). My old Kensington Pro even allowed 2-button 'chords', which let me
set up some really slick stuff.

Sorry to get so verbose, but I have the original question still unanswered:

Does anyone know of a product or technique (or combination) that would get
me that level of functionality on my 64-bit system? I have already spent
many man-hours and dollars searching and experimenting, but I *am* an ME and
I don't know all the neat places to look.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I have had to
give up the quest, and resign myself to this (yuck-foo) mouse. Not as bad as
Boff's Wadget, but a bit clunky.TTFN.jw

"DP" wrote:

> Seems like there was someone 6 to 8 months ago who posted here with a
> problem using his mouse. Not sure it if was the Kensington Expert.
> As I recall, the person was an architect or had a similar type job and used
> very specific CAD-type program and was ticked off to find out he couldn't
> use his mouse any more. Perhaps a search would turn up his post and the
> discussion that followed.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Anyone with a Kensington Expert Mouse (and probably other Kensington
> > devices) may have lost some button functionality when moving to 64-bit
> > Windows XP. According to Kensington, Vista will handle full
> > configuration of their products, but with 64-bit version of XP, you're
> > SOOL.
> >
> > Here is my solution to be able to continue using all four buttons on
> > my Expert Mouse as I want:
> >
> > - install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 driver for XP 64-bit, and tell it
> > you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model (may also work with other
> > selection);
> >
> > - install free X-Mouse Button Control tool(http://www.highrez.co.uk/
> > downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) which allows remapping of Expert
> > Mouse buttons
> >
> > The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as
> > the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as
> > the left x button.
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > R.

Jane C

This one might be worth investigating:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...=5006,detail=2

XP x64 software is available (Set Point).

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Shell/User

"azutjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > devices) may have lost some button functionality when moving to 64-bit
>> > Windows XP. According to Kensington, Vista will handle full
>> > configuration of their products, but with 64-bit version of XP, you're
>> > SOOL.
>> >
>> > Here is my solution to be able to continue using all four buttons on
>> > my Expert Mouse as I want:
>> >
>> > - install Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 driver for XP 64-bit, and tell it
>> > you have a Microsoft Trackball Optical model (may also work with other
>> > selection);
>> >
>> > - install free X-Mouse Button Control tool(http://www.highrez.co.uk/
>> > downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) which allows remapping of Expert
>> > Mouse buttons
>> >
>> > The top-left Expert Mouse button is seen by X-Mouse Button Control as
>> > the middle button, and the top-right Expert Mouse button is seem as

=?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

Thank you, Ms. not. I have been ignoring cordless models because I'm so
active and didn't want to mess with batteries, but at this point I need to
adjust my criteria.