Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Media Player 10 install - auto launches when dvd inserted

Windows Media Player 10 install - auto launches when dvd inserted

Rabid man

In typical MS fashion, every time I insert a dvd that has video files
on it, media player 10 install dialog box launches - with no apparent
way to disable this autolauncher. Problem is, I don't want to install
this crap.

Searched through the registry and Google and didn't really find
anything

There must be a reg key to delete or something to get rid of this

any help appreciated..

thanks...

John Barnes

What system are you running? You need to change the default player for the
file type you are having problems with to some other player, or have no
default for the file type.

"Rabid man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In typical MS fashion, every time I insert a dvd that has video files
> on it, media player 10 install dialog box launches - with no apparent
> way to disable this autolauncher. Problem is, I don't want to install
> this crap.
>
> Searched through the registry and Google and didn't really find
> anything
>
> There must be a reg key to delete or something to get rid of this
>
> any help appreciated..
>
> thanks...

Jud Hendrix

On 28 Jan 2007 18:29:18 -0800, "Rabid man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There must be a reg key to delete or something to get rid of this

Did you try and tick off the "DVD Video" in "Options>File Types"?

Rabid man

Thanks for the responses
This is not an association problem. Running xp64. Media player classic
handles all my media files and launches properly
everytime. I'm an experience user with 6 computers and several builds
behind me...

I just assumed this was a xp64 behaviour and I'm new to xp64
When ever I insert a disc that has any avi files on it (in various
formats), this stupid install dialog launches...
I just thought of something - perhaps I can launch it and check task
manager to see what pops up - could give me clue...

If not I may just concede and install the player. It's not the end of
the world but I hate things like this..

thanks