Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > What should a Raid 10 look like?

What should a Raid 10 look like?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

This is a new problem connected with a previous thread.
I have successfully installed WXP64 on a hard drive which is NOT part of a
raid array. I have added 4 other new drives, each of 250GB, which I have
configured in BIOS as a Raid 10 array. I had to load various drivers from my
mobo disk to do this.

When I looked at this in Windows, of course I could not see the Raid 10
array in My Computer, so I went to Computer Management, and it was listed
there. I used the Create Volume option, and created a volume "F" which I then
Formatted. It is 460Gb.
Now I can see this volume in My computer.
But - where is the Mirror ? My understanding of Raid 10 is that it should be
using 2 of my 250Gb drives to write data to simultaneously in strips, and the
other 2 as a 'mirror' or copy. Should that not appear as two drives in My
computer? Otherwise, how could I access the mirror image if one of the 2 data
drives failed?

Did I do the wrong thing when I formatted the Raid 10 volume? Or should I
have formatted the 4 hard drives before setting them as a Raid 10 array in
BIOS?
Mike

Aaron Kelley

Nope, it will appear as one drive.

In a mirrored system, both drives are written to simultaneously, and can be
read simultaneously to increase read performance. The RAID controller
handles this all automatically and transparently. If one of your drives
fails, the RAID controller is in charge of keeping your array online, and
when you replace the drive you'll probably have to tell it to put the new
drive in the array (and it will restore the data to the new drive from the
mirror, so that your data is all mirrored again).

- Aaron

"MikeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a new problem connected with a previous thread.
> I have successfully installed WXP64 on a hard drive which is NOT part of a
> raid array. I have added 4 other new drives, each of 250GB, which I have
> configured in BIOS as a Raid 10 array. I had to load various drivers from
> my
> mobo disk to do this.
>
> When I looked at this in Windows, of course I could not see the Raid 10
> array in My Computer, so I went to Computer Management, and it was listed
> there. I used the Create Volume option, and created a volume "F" which I
> then
> Formatted. It is 460Gb.
> Now I can see this volume in My computer.
> But - where is the Mirror ? My understanding of Raid 10 is that it should
> be
> using 2 of my 250Gb drives to write data to simultaneously in strips, and
> the
> other 2 as a 'mirror' or copy. Should that not appear as two drives in My
> computer? Otherwise, how could I access the mirror image if one of the 2
> data
> drives failed?
>
> Did I do the wrong thing when I formatted the Raid 10 volume? Or should I
> have formatted the 4 hard drives before setting them as a Raid 10 array in
> BIOS?
> Mike

NuTCrAcKeR

If you set it up right, you will see 1 500GB volume under disk manager.

Remember, 250GB disk is 250,000,000,000 bytes. Not 250,000 Megabytes, where
1MB = 1,024,000 bytes, so the reported size will actually be somewhat
smaller. Also, when you format NTFS, part of the partition is reserved for
the MFT, which could be quite large depending on what you chose for you
cluster size.

"MikeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a new problem connected with a previous thread.
> I have successfully installed WXP64 on a hard drive which is NOT part of a
> raid array. I have added 4 other new drives, each of 250GB, which I have
> configured in BIOS as a Raid 10 array. I had to load various drivers from
> my
> mobo disk to do this.
>
> When I looked at this in Windows, of course I could not see the Raid 10
> array in My Computer, so I went to Computer Management, and it was listed
> there. I used the Create Volume option, and created a volume "F" which I
> then
> Formatted. It is 460Gb.
> Now I can see this volume in My computer.
> But - where is the Mirror ? My understanding of Raid 10 is that it should
> be
> using 2 of my 250Gb drives to write data to simultaneously in strips, and
> the
> other 2 as a 'mirror' or copy. Should that not appear as two drives in My
> computer? Otherwise, how could I access the mirror image if one of the 2
> data
> drives failed?
>
> Did I do the wrong thing when I formatted the Raid 10 volume? Or should I
> have formatted the 4 hard drives before setting them as a Raid 10 array in
> BIOS?
> Mike

Tony Sperling

In addition, what the system is showing you, is the combined user space -
the mirror is of no interrest to you, since you cannot work with it, and
your own efforts are not required in any way! The RAID mystery, is handled
behind the scenes - you just have to trust it! I don't even think you can
misconfigure a RAID set and successfully complete an installation. That
should be some sort of comfort!

Tony. . .

"MikeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a new problem connected with a previous thread.
> I have successfully installed WXP64 on a hard drive which is NOT part of a
> raid array. I have added 4 other new drives, each of 250GB, which I have
> configured in BIOS as a Raid 10 array. I had to load various drivers from

my
> mobo disk to do this.
>
> When I looked at this in Windows, of course I could not see the Raid 10
> array in My Computer, so I went to Computer Management, and it was listed
> there. I used the Create Volume option, and created a volume "F" which I

then
> Formatted. It is 460Gb.
> Now I can see this volume in My computer.
> But - where is the Mirror ? My understanding of Raid 10 is that it should

be
> using 2 of my 250Gb drives to write data to simultaneously in strips, and

the
> other 2 as a 'mirror' or copy. Should that not appear as two drives in My
> computer? Otherwise, how could I access the mirror image if one of the 2

data
> drives failed?
>
> Did I do the wrong thing when I formatted the Raid 10 volume? Or should I
> have formatted the 4 hard drives before setting them as a Raid 10 array in
> BIOS?
> Mike

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

Aha - well thanks to all the people who have reassured me. I see exactly what
you mean - and it is indeed a "mystery" ! I will leave it as it is then.

Computerflyer

On Jan 29, 6:34 pm, MikeB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aha - well thanks to all the people who have reassured me. I see exactly what
> you mean - and it is indeed a "mystery" ! I will leave it as it is then.

Just do not get too complacent with the safety of a RAID. I have two
PCs, similar to each other but subtly different. Both have RAID1s.
One has been bulletproof and the other has had a hit about every 6
months. The first time the motherboard controller thought one of the
mirrored drives crashed - it did not. I could happily boot and run
from either. I had to rebuild the mirror anyway since they were now
out of perfect synch.

Second time during boot it complained that it could not find specific
windows files. I thought the controller died but it did not. Out of
synch. Rebuilt again.... Gigabyte (K8 series mobos) has been no
help, as was the builder shop, since it is not broken with symptoms.
This is not supposed to happen, but...

In the big systems world where I spend my working day, we have over
100 TB of FC RAID5 arrays from 4 different major vendors, and each
vendor has had at least one "inexplicable undocumented unexpected"
failure taking a unit off line over the last 4 years, most needing
design engineering support to get it back up. These are $200,000+++
boxes, not $100~200 motherboard controllers. One of our staff at a
remote location was running a RAID5 off his PC controller - one drive
did fail and the rebuild failed - all gone.

Moral - never underestimate the importance of a backup, RAID or not.

Your experience might vary, but be prepared anyway.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

Thanks for the warning about the safety of RAID. I recently bought two
Buffalo NAS 500GB units for my system just in case !
Mike