Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > installing new hard drives

Reply
Thread Tools

installing new hard drives

 
 
Mike De Petris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
win XP x64
I have two drives now, C(system) and D

Bought two new Seagate 7200.10

I've seen there is a Seagate tool named DiskWizard that would let me
put one drive in, and let the software do all the copy for the C
drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64

what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
old, without pain and risk?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
to do the job.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> win XP x64
> I have two drives now, C(system) and D
>
> Bought two new Seagate 7200.10
>
> I've seen there is a Seagate tool named DiskWizard that would let me
> put one drive in, and let the software do all the copy for the C
> drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64
>
> what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
> old, without pain and risk?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
I'm surprised that they don't have one that can be run from a floppy.
Maxtor's maxblast does (did). But then maybe you don't have a floppy.

"Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> win XP x64
> I have two drives now, C(system) and D
>
> Bought two new Seagate 7200.10
>
> I've seen there is a Seagate tool named DiskWizard that would let me
> put one drive in, and let the software do all the copy for the C
> drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64
>
> what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
> old, without pain and risk?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike De Petris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
> want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
> to do the job.


Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the
same as Seagate SeaTools.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike De Petris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
On Jan 28, 10:52 pm, "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
> > want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
> > to do the job.Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the

> same as Seagate SeaTools.


Sorry, I mean Seagate DiskWizard, as SeaTool is the boot floppy/cd

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike De Petris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
On Jan 28, 10:56 pm, "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 10:52 pm, "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"

>
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
> > > want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
> > > to do the job.Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the

> > same as Seagate SeaTools.Sorry, I mean Seagate DiskWizard, as SeaTool is the boot floppy/cd


Running the DiskWizard installer in compatibility mode for XP I was
able to install and run DiskWizard so I will give a try to it that
seems really targeted to the operations I need to do, will see.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007
No, their imaging software, whatever the name is...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
>> want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable
>> CD
>> to do the job.

>
> Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the
> same as Seagate SeaTools.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dshai
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007
Acronis TrueImage

--

Dshai

Life is only limited by those living it...

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, their imaging software, whatever the name is...
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
>
> "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what
>>> you
>>> want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable
>>> CD
>>> to do the job.

>>
>> Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the
>> same as Seagate SeaTools.
>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2007
Thanks.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"Dshai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Acronis TrueImage
>
> --
>
> Dshai
>
> Life is only limited by those living it...
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, their imaging software, whatever the name is...
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>>
>> "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what
>>>> you
>>>> want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a
>>>> bootable CD
>>>> to do the job.
>>>
>>> Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the
>>> same as Seagate SeaTools.
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
miso@sushi.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2007
On Jan 28, 10:24 am, "Mike De Petris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> win XP x64
> I have two drives now, C(system) and D
>
> Bought two new Seagate 7200.10
>
> I've seen there is a Seagate tool named DiskWizard that would let me
> put one drive in, and let the software do all the copy for the C
> drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64
>
> what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
> old, without pain and risk?


How about copying the old drive using Partition commander by booting
from the CDROM. Hide the drive you don't want to touch via your bios.
That is, turn off the port.

Am I to assume you only have room for two drives in the PC at the same
time?

Programs like Partition Magic and Partition Commander often boot the
PC into a program they load on the drive, so you are not really
running the program from the main OS anyway. But watching PM or PC
boot the PC is scary, especially if you have multiple OSs.

I'd use Partition Commander by booting from it's CDROM, and copy the
old drive with the OS to one of the new drives. [If you only can
mount two drive, then obviously one of the old drives has to be
removed so the new drive can go in its place.] Then take out the old
drive with the OS so nothing bad happens to it and install the new
drive and try to boot from it. If you can't boot, then you need to the
various hacks in my thread to get the boot record in shape again.

Now you have the old with with OS, the new drive with OS, and the old
drive with just data I assume and a second new drive. Put old drive
with data and new drive in the PC and repeat with partition
commander. Then put in the two new drives.

With partition commander, I don't think you have to install the
software, though it is X64 ready. You shouldn't install the boot
commander.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing IDE Hard Drives Using XP PRO x64 jpan71855 Windows 64bit 3 05-20-2008 05:37 PM
BSOD after installing new WD3200AAKS drives -why ? eatmoreoats Computer Support 3 05-10-2008 01:50 PM
Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives mel@no.spam.com Computer Support 2 09-21-2007 10:16 PM
Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work Zap Eagle Computer Support 3 07-13-2006 04:36 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM



Advertisments