Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 27, 6:17 pm, "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Easy BCD and Vista Boot Pro both work on all flavors of XP and all flavors
> of Vista, x86 and x64. It is not complicated to install so you may be
> making more out of this than you need to. It is just an editor with a GUI
> for convenience. It is not a boot manager or anything that requires any
> special installation procedures. It can be run equally well from either XP
> or Vista.

OK, but the intent is not to make the program bootable. Again, with
the documentation missing, this isn't very clear.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...

> >> In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will
> >> have
> >> to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will still
> >> not have a boot.ini
> >> (the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).

> >> Anyway, good luck

> >> ~Spinnacre

> > Since EASY BCD isn't so easy, I'm looking into your suggestion.
> > However, it doesn't say it works for X64.

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes (IOW, for legacy OS's). But even in the old days, if it didn't see a
boot.ini, AND everything else was as expected, it should boot to the
default. Remember also that boot.ini can be on a different drive from the
OS.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The legacy NTLDR called from the Vista boot loader performs the same
> functions it always did.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> once you move to BCD, boot.ini is no longer used. Unless you have
>> multiple legacy OSs.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OT:
>>>
>>> John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a
>>> boot.ini file? I seem to be doing just that.
>>>
>>> (Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
>>> broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot
>>> fine when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)
>>>
>>> I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
>>> boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
>>> promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
>>> messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
>>> multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
>>> after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
>>> message.
>>>
>>> It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

It is never bootable. IT only manages the BCD entries, it isn't itself a
boot loader

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> On Jan 27, 6:17 pm, "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Easy BCD and Vista Boot Pro both work on all flavors of XP and all
>> flavors
>> of Vista, x86 and x64. It is not complicated to install so you may be
>> making more out of this than you need to. It is just an editor with a
>> GUI
>> for convenience. It is not a boot manager or anything that requires any
>> special installation procedures. It can be run equally well from either
>> XP
>> or Vista.

> OK, but the intent is not to make the program bootable. Again, with
> the documentation missing, this isn't very clear.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...

>> > Since EASY BCD isn't so easy, I'm looking into your suggestion.
>> > However, it doesn't say it works for X64.

John Barnes

The 'default' is located in the boot.ini, so if not present, it must default
to the volume it is running from as it has no knowledge of other volumes
(unless hard coded to a particular volume). It still must be on the system
volume for systems without a Vista bootloader and must be on the volume with
the executing NTLDR in all cases where present.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes (IOW, for legacy OS's). But even in the old days, if it didn't see a
> boot.ini, AND everything else was as expected, it should boot to the
> default. Remember also that boot.ini can be on a different drive from the
> OS.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The legacy NTLDR called from the Vista boot loader performs the same
>> functions it always did.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> once you move to BCD, boot.ini is no longer used. Unless you have
>>> multiple legacy OSs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, but not all ntldr are created equal. You have to have the right one for
your OSs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> On Jan 27, 11:35 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Actually, in my case, D: was the existing XP x64 install, which had known
>> good ones. I prefer to pull the ones off of a known good XP x64 install
>> when trying to get back to that as my core OS.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> But then I must have a different problem since I do have the NTLDR
> file on my HD. I'll see what happens with Easy BCD.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...

>> > Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
>> > Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
>> > If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
>> > In that directory, there are the following files:
>> > ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
>> > ntldr 295536 03/25/05

>> > On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
>> > ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
>> > ntest directory
>> > ntldr 297072 01/16/07

>> > So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
>> > and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

>> > I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Correct.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 'default' is located in the boot.ini, so if not present, it must
> default to the volume it is running from as it has no knowledge of other
> volumes (unless hard coded to a particular volume). It still must be on
> the system volume for systems without a Vista bootloader and must be on
> the volume with the executing NTLDR in all cases where present.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes (IOW, for legacy OS's). But even in the old days, if it didn't see a
>> boot.ini, AND everything else was as expected, it should boot to the
>> default. Remember also that boot.ini can be on a different drive from the
>> OS.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The legacy NTLDR called from the Vista boot loader performs the same
>>> functions it always did.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

You are very patient Charlie. My guess is you will have written 5 books or
more before we have enough information from this poster to begin to help.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Let's hope not.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are very patient Charlie. My guess is you will have written 5 books
> or more before we have enough information from this poster to begin to
> help.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ah, but not all ntldr are created equal. You have to have the right one
>> for your OSs.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>>> But then I must have a different problem since I do have the NTLDR
>>> file on my HD. I'll see what happens with Easy BCD.

Spinnacre

I agree, Charlie is a saint! I think you've certainly gone the extra mile as
well, John!

~Spinnacre

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are a lost soul. EasyBCD has to be installed on Vista or XP. You
> haven't provided useful information to solve your problem, so I tried to
> give you an idea how to start trouble shooting. Good luck.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Easy BCD is too large to fit on a floppy. The guide file link is a
>> 404.
>>
>> I put it on a bootable cdrom using NERO, but I can't get it to work.
>> Needless to say, HELP!

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 28, 11:55 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Let's hope not.

Please state what information you need.