Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

Charlie Russel - MVP

once you move to BCD, boot.ini is no longer used. Unless you have multiple
legacy OSs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OT:
>
> John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a
> boot.ini file? I seem to be doing just that.
>
> (Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
> broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot fine
> when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)
>
> I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
> boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
> promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
> messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
> multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
> after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
> message.
>
> It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help with your question
>> fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
>> hard drive in boot priority
>> fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
>> system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
>> recovery console, not the one shown in any system.
>>
>> for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options
>> and formats.
>>
>> With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr
>> of first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes control
>> to boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed in the
>> boot record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You need to
>> verify each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure boot
>> priority in BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the correct
>> volume set active.

John Barnes

Much better question for Darrell than me. In my experience when the
boot.ini is missing, the volume containing the called NTLDR is the one XP
has to be installed on. This would normally be the system drive, but in the
case of Vista boot calling it I haven't tried, as so far I have always had
the XP boot files on the system drive also.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OT:
>
> John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a
> boot.ini file? I seem to be doing just that.
>
> (Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
> broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot fine
> when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)
>
> I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
> boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
> promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
> messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
> multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
> after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
> message.
>
> It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help with your question
>> fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
>> hard drive in boot priority
>> fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
>> system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
>> recovery console, not the one shown in any system.
>>
>> for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options
>> and formats.
>>
>> With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr
>> of first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes control
>> to boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed in the
>> boot record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You need to
>> verify each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure boot
>> priority in BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the correct
>> volume set active.

John Barnes

The legacy NTLDR called from the Vista boot loader performs the same
functions it always did.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> once you move to BCD, boot.ini is no longer used. Unless you have multiple
> legacy OSs.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OT:
>>
>> John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a
>> boot.ini file? I seem to be doing just that.
>>
>> (Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
>> broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot fine
>> when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)
>>
>> I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
>> boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
>> promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
>> messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
>> multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
>> after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
>> message.
>>
>> It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Help with your question
>>> fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
>>> hard drive in boot priority
>>> fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
>>> system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
>>> recovery console, not the one shown in any system.
>>>
>>> for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options
>>> and formats.
>>>
>>> With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr
>>> of first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes
>>> control to boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed
>>> in the boot record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You
>>> need to verify each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure
>>> boot priority in BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the
>>> correct volume set active.

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 27, 11:46 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> oh. And EasyBCD download is at:http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1(first hit
> if you google EasyBCD)
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Is it me? I see links to download the older versions on that page, but
not the current revision.

In any event, the softpedia link has the current rev.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>

> > On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are
> >> in
> >> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
> >> install CD.

> >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...ing-Dual-Boot-...

> >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

> >> --
> >> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> > Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
> > Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
> > If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
> > In that directory, there are the following files:
> > ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
> > ntldr 295536 03/25/05

> > On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
> > ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
> > ntest directory
> > ntldr 297072 01/16/07

> > So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
> > and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

> > I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 27, 11:35 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Actually, in my case, D: was the existing XP x64 install, which had known
> good ones. I prefer to pull the ones off of a known good XP x64 install
> when trying to get back to that as my core OS.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

But then I must have a different problem since I do have the NTLDR
file on my HD. I'll see what happens with Easy BCD.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>

> > On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are
> >> in
> >> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
> >> install CD.

> >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...ing-Dual-Boot-...

> >>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

> >> --
> >> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> > Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
> > Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
> > If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
> > In that directory, there are the following files:
> > ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
> > ntldr 295536 03/25/05

> > On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
> > ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
> > ntest directory
> > ntldr 297072 01/16/07

> > So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
> > and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

> > I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...

miso@sushi.com

Easy BCD is too large to fit on a floppy. The guide file link is a
404.

I put it on a bootable cdrom using NERO, but I can't get it to work.
Needless to say, HELP!

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 27, 1:38 am, "Spinnacre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
> > floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.If you mean a software RAID, that should make no difference.

> In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will have
> to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will still
> not have a boot.ini
> (the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).
>
> Anyway, good luck
>
> ~Spinnacre

Since EASY BCD isn't so easy, I'm looking into your suggestion.
However, it doesn't say it works for X64.

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 26, 11:04 pm, "Spinnacre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> your C:\ (typically) as boot.ini and copy the following files from the
> temporary boot disk to your C:\
>
> bootmgr
> io.sys
> ntdetect.com
> ntldr
>
> You should not need the boot disk after that, but you may want to keep it
> around for future reference. It will still work to get you into Windows in
> case you didn't edit the file right.
>
> To show how slim a boot.ini should be, here is my boot.ini file which is
> somewhat abnormal, but will give you an idea of the rest of the full
> structure:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> Edition 3GB" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /3GB /FASTDETECT
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> Edition" /FASTDETECT
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x86
> Edition" /FASTDETECT
>
> Note that this file tells Windows to display an OS menu with 3 OS options in
> sequential order:
> two configurations for Windows XP x64 on partition #2 of disk #0 of port #0
> (one allots more RAM to 32-bit programs in XP x64) as well as one
> configuration for Windows XP x86 on partition #1 of disk #0 of port #0
>
> The menu will automatically timeout after 10 seconds and select the 1st
> option in the list:
> "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 3GB"
>
> Your boot.ini will likely be different, but this should get you on the right
> path.
>
> Also, you can install Recovery Console to boot menu, eliminating the need of
> Windows CD and the lengthy process of getting to the Recovery Console.
> Instructions:http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm
>
> It should be noted that Vista uses a different way of managing the boot
> process. There is no longer a text file called boot.ini. Boot information is
> stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
> store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
> Microsoft site:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...mware/bcd.mspx
>
> ~Spinnacre
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...
>
> >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
> > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
> > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

> > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
> > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
> > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
> > try to boot.

> > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,

I think I get this method now. When I copied my old notebook drive to
the new one, the new drive wouldn't boot. I got it to boot with this
CDROM. So I gather this software does not write to the master boot
record, but lets you get the OS running and do repairs from a more
friendly evironment.

The new drive in my notebook now works, though hell if I know why.

John Barnes

You are a lost soul. EasyBCD has to be installed on Vista or XP. You
haven't provided useful information to solve your problem, so I tried to
give you an idea how to start trouble shooting. Good luck.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Easy BCD is too large to fit on a floppy. The guide file link is a
> 404.
>
> I put it on a bootable cdrom using NERO, but I can't get it to work.
> Needless to say, HELP!

Colin Barnhorst

Easy BCD and Vista Boot Pro both work on all flavors of XP and all flavors
of Vista, x86 and x64. It is not complicated to install so you may be
making more out of this than you need to. It is just an editor with a GUI
for convenience. It is not a boot manager or anything that requires any
special installation procedures. It can be run equally well from either XP
or Vista.