Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

Boot record got the boot; missing NTLDR;x64

miso@sushi.com

A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
try to boot.

I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,
namely
bootcfg
fixboot
fixmbr

Charlie Russel - MVP

See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are in
there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
install CD.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...Vista-x64.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
> commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
> CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].
>
> Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
> since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
> a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
> try to boot.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,
> namely
> bootcfg
> fixboot
> fixmbr

Spinnacre

This site has instructions for a boot disk tool that should help you out:
http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm

The boot disk has worked for me several times in the past. I used a floppy,
but you may try a bootable USB drive or CD. One of the boot configurations
should work unless you have some kind of strange disk configuration (my RAID
0 with 4 partitions did fine). Once you find one that works, Windows should
boot fine, but you will need to fix your boot files, particularly the
boot.ini (which is what gives you the menu of different configuration
options you chose from). Now, in Windows, open the boot.ini (on the
temporary boot disk) and delete the lines of code for all the boot
configurations other than the one that worked for you. Now save the file to
your C:\ (typically) as boot.ini and copy the following files from the
temporary boot disk to your C:\

bootmgr
io.sys
ntdetect.com
ntldr

You should not need the boot disk after that, but you may want to keep it
around for future reference. It will still work to get you into Windows in
case you didn't edit the file right.

To show how slim a boot.ini should be, here is my boot.ini file which is
somewhat abnormal, but will give you an idea of the rest of the full
structure:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition 3GB" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /3GB /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x86
Edition" /FASTDETECT

Note that this file tells Windows to display an OS menu with 3 OS options in
sequential order:
two configurations for Windows XP x64 on partition #2 of disk #0 of port #0
(one allots more RAM to 32-bit programs in XP x64) as well as one
configuration for Windows XP x86 on partition #1 of disk #0 of port #0

The menu will automatically timeout after 10 seconds and select the 1st
option in the list:
"Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 3GB"

Your boot.ini will likely be different, but this should get you on the right
path.

Also, you can install Recovery Console to boot menu, eliminating the need of
Windows CD and the lengthy process of getting to the Recovery Console.
Instructions: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

It should be noted that Vista uses a different way of managing the boot
process. There is no longer a text file called boot.ini. Boot information is
stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...mware/bcd.mspx

~Spinnacre

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 26, 11:04 pm, "Spinnacre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
> store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this
> Microsoft site:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...mware/bcd.mspx
>
> ~Spinnacre
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...
>
> >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
> > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
> > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

> > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
> > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
> > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
> > try to boot.

> > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,

This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are in
> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
> install CD.
>
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...ing-Dual-Boot-...
>
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
In that directory, there are the following files:
ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
ntldr 295536 03/25/05

On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
ntest directory
ntldr 297072 01/16/07

So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
and is larger than the one on the cdrom.

I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...
>
> >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
> > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
> > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

> > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
> > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
> > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
> > try to boot.

> > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,
> > namely
> > bootcfg
> > fixboot
> > fixmbr

Spinnacre

> This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
> floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.

If you mean a software RAID, that should make no difference.

In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will have
to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will still
not have a boot.ini
(the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).

Anyway, good luck

~Spinnacre

John Barnes

Help with your question
fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
hard drive in boot priority
fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
recovery console, not the one shown in any system.

for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options and
formats.

With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr of
first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes control to
boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed in the boot
record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You need to verify
each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure boot priority in
BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the correct volume set
active.

"Spinnacre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This looks useful, but I don't think I should be copying files from
>> floppy to the hard drive with a fake raid.

> If you mean a software RAID, that should make no difference.
>
> In any case, you need not copy any files from the floppy, but you will
> have to start Windows every time from the floppy/USB/CD because you will
> still not have a boot.ini
> (the other files you can and probably should obtain from the Windows CD).
>
> Anyway, good luck
>
> ~Spinnacre

Colin Barnhorst

OT:

John, just out of curiosity, when is it possible to boot without a boot.ini
file? I seem to be doing just that.

(Please do not spend your valuable time posting a fix. My system ain't
broke and I'm not going to fix it. I am just curious why I can boot fine
when everyone says you cannot start without a boot.ini file.)

I have been using my original installation of XP Pro x64 with a missing
boot.ini file message during boot for about a year. Since the system
promptly boots into XP Pro x64 just fine following the message I haven't
messed with it. It is on my test box and has been the base OS for
multibooting dozens of Vista betas etc. The message appears immediately
after selecting the OS on the boot options screen and looks like a BIOS
message.

It strikes me as strange that I boot with no problem.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help with your question
> fixmbr a command which will fix the mbr of the system drive - first
> hard drive in boot priority
> fixboot a command which is volume dependent and will default to the
> system volume unless one is specified The volume is the one shown in
> recovery console, not the one shown in any system.
>
> for all commands, if you use space /? it will give you all the options
> and formats.
>
> With regards to your situation, boot sequence BIOS passes control to mbr
> of first hard drive in boot priority (finds active volume) passes control
> to boot record on active volume. Looks for boot program listed in the
> boot record, in this case NTLDR. This is where you are. You need to
> verify each step in boot sequence up to this point. Make sure boot
> priority in BIOS hasn't changed. Also, check that you have the correct
> volume set active.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, in my case, D: was the existing XP x64 install, which had known
good ones. I prefer to pull the ones off of a known good XP x64 install
when trying to get back to that as my core OS.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> On Jan 26, 10:42 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> See my blogs on recovering and dual booting. All the necessary steps are
>> in
>> there. If your copies of ntldr, etc, are missing you can get them off the
>> install CD.
>>
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...ing-Dual-Boot-...
>>
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> Well, this is progress. I got as far as bootcfg/rebuild
> Here is where I'm confused. I assume in your website, d: is the CDROM.
> If so, all the nt*.* files sit in the directory i386
> In that directory, there are the following files:
> ntdetect.com 47772 03/25/05
> ntldr 295536 03/25/05
>
> On my x64 partition, which is e:, I have:
> ntdetect.com 47772 3/25/05
> ntest directory
> ntldr 297072 01/16/07
>
> So is the proper file on the i386 directory? Also, my ntldr is there
> and is larger than the one on the cdrom.
>
> I can't seem to find the ECD 1.52 file, just the older files.
>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) ooglegroups.com...
>>
>> >A long story, but I managed to whack the boot record with partition
>> > commander. I can get the PC to the "recover" mode using the install
>> > CDROM and my fake raid drivers [3rd party install].

>> > Running bootcfg /scan, it finds my windows installation. [No surprise
>> > since I had to enter the password to get to the recover mode.] I did
>> > a bootcfg /rebuild . However, I get the missing NTLDR message when I
>> > try to boot.

>> > I guess what I'm looking for is some help on these recovery commands,
>> > namely
>> > bootcfg
>> > fixboot
>> > fixmbr