Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit drivers for Vista...

64-bit drivers for Vista...

RMZ

I'm hearing 32-bit drivers for Vista will be hard to come by for a lot
of hardware, does anyone know about 64-bit drivers? Does anyone
anticipate 64-bit Vista drivers for notebooks be easier to come by? Any
tips on where I can find compatibility information on the web?

Thanks

Spinnacre

From my experience over the last year or more, drivers for both 32 and
64-bit Vista are out there for most recent hardware. The only real group of
exceptions I have run into are printers and scanners, so check on those
first. But, I tend to hold onto my peripherals longer than internal system
hardware.

Also, I have an HP notebook running Vista x64 and HP has been VERY difficult
about supplying drivers pre-launch, but promise to have many of them
available on launch day. Of particular concern is the common Conexant/ATI
SB400 integrated sound chip, which still has no signed-driver available and
Vista is picky about using only signed drivers (for good reason, I might
add). Why HP would not want to have those drivers out for beta testing
before the launch of Vista is way beyond me.

Otherwise, Vista RC1 (a pre-release version) installs more easily than any
previous Windows OS and the final version will only be better because there
will be a much larger collection of included drivers, not to mention more
manufacturers having the latest ones available on their websites.

"RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm hearing 32-bit drivers for Vista will be hard to come by for a lot
> of hardware, does anyone know about 64-bit drivers? Does anyone
> anticipate 64-bit Vista drivers for notebooks be easier to come by? Any
> tips on where I can find compatibility information on the web?
>
> Thanks

John Barnes

To answer your question, 64-bit drivers are more rare than 32-bit drivers.
With a larger install base, 32-bit is where the manufacturers will first put
their efforts.

"RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm hearing 32-bit drivers for Vista will be hard to come by for a lot
> of hardware, does anyone know about 64-bit drivers? Does anyone
> anticipate 64-bit Vista drivers for notebooks be easier to come by? Any
> tips on where I can find compatibility information on the web?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

WHDC has now a requirement to submit an x64 driver along x86 ; also you get
subtantial validation discount for submitting them around the same time. IMHO
this is was a great move.