Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Nikon NEF codec for Vista

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon NEF codec for Vista

 
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2007
Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
Gallery

http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
after the required reboot.

I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
camera before I started screaming.
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rasool.rayani@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007
I just installed the codec as well and have not been able to get photo
gallery to add an nikon raw files.I will play around with it a bit more
tomorrow and post if I have any success.

-rnr

Barb Bowman wrote:
> Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
> Gallery
>
> http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
>
> I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
> directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
> after the required reboot.
>
> I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
> camera before I started screaming.
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rasool.rayani@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007
I just installed the codec as well and have not been able to get photo
gallery to add an nikon raw files.I will play around with it a bit more
tomorrow and post if I have any success.

-rnr

Barb Bowman wrote:
> Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
> Gallery
>
> http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
>
> I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
> directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
> after the required reboot.
>
> I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
> camera before I started screaming.
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007

"Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (David D.) - 01/27/2007 09:03 PM
HI

Thanks for the question. The current codec is only for 32 bit
versions of Vista. At this time we do not offer support for the 64
bit version. Sorry.

-David


Thanks for using Nikon products!"

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:27:53 -0500, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
>Gallery
>
>http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
>
>I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
>directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
>after the required reboot.
>
>I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
>camera before I started screaming.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jane C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
It would be helpful if they were to clarify that on the download or
requirements page. I find it really quite irritating when companies
advertise a product as being "Vista compatible" without mentioning that they
actually only mean 32 bit Vista compatible.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Discussion Thread
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Response (David D.) - 01/27/2007 09:03 PM
> HI
>
> Thanks for the question. The current codec is only for 32 bit
> versions of Vista. At this time we do not offer support for the 64
> bit version. Sorry.
>
> -David
>
>
> Thanks for using Nikon products!"
>
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:27:53 -0500, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
>>Gallery
>>
>>http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
>>
>>I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
>>directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
>>after the required reboot.
>>
>>I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
>>camera before I started screaming.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
Vista Windows Photo Gallery also keeps prompting to download this
codec until you turn off the prompting. The MS PIX team also should
disclose things properly. I've posted a comment on
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/ and I see that someone else posted that
if you install the codec (on x86) you lose the ability to EDIT NEF
files in external programs until you uninstall the codec.



On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:04:46 +1100, "Jane C"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It would be helpful if they were to clarify that on the download or
>requirements page. I find it really quite irritating when companies
>advertise a product as being "Vista compatible" without mentioning that they
>actually only mean 32 bit Vista compatible.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?VG9iaWFz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007
No, it is worse. Fist of all I you can't deinstall the codec - wich mean you
can call the deinstallation routine bot the codec is still there after rebot-
and secound you are not able to edit your files because the files are changed
(corrupted?). You can reinstall your computer or give them to a friend -
nothing works, all files gone

You can view them in Windows but Lightroom, Photoshop, Picasa or Paintshop
can't read them anymore - maybe there is a raw converter from Microsoft about
to be released...

Tobias

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Vista Windows Photo Gallery also keeps prompting to download this
> codec until you turn off the prompting. The MS PIX team also should
> disclose things properly. I've posted a comment on
> http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/ and I see that someone else posted that
> if you install the codec (on x86) you lose the ability to EDIT NEF
> files in external programs until you uninstall the codec.
>
>
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:04:46 +1100, "Jane C"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >It would be helpful if they were to clarify that on the download or
> >requirements page. I find it really quite irritating when companies
> >advertise a product as being "Vista compatible" without mentioning that they
> >actually only mean 32 bit Vista compatible.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007
I was able to uninstall the Nikon codec just fine. Did you install
on x64 or x86 because from your description, if you can view in
Windows, then it sounds like x86.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:38:00 -0800, Tobias
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No, it is worse. Fist of all I you can't deinstall the codec - wich mean you
>can call the deinstallation routine bot the codec is still there after rebot-
>and secound you are not able to edit your files because the files are changed
>(corrupted?). You can reinstall your computer or give them to a friend -
>nothing works, all files gone
>
>You can view them in Windows but Lightroom, Photoshop, Picasa or Paintshop
>can't read them anymore - maybe there is a raw converter from Microsoft about
>to be released...
>
>Tobias
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Vista Windows Photo Gallery also keeps prompting to download this
>> codec until you turn off the prompting. The MS PIX team also should
>> disclose things properly. I've posted a comment on
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/ and I see that someone else posted that
>> if you install the codec (on x86) you lose the ability to EDIT NEF
>> files in external programs until you uninstall the codec.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:04:46 +1100, "Jane C"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >It would be helpful if they were to clarify that on the download or
>> >requirements page. I find it really quite irritating when companies
>> >advertise a product as being "Vista compatible" without mentioning that they
>> >actually only mean 32 bit Vista compatible.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>>

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon NEF (CP5700) to TIFF Batch COnvert John Bain Digital Photography 2 09-28-2009 04:26 PM
Nikon RAW codec, Vista x64 now happy together Barb Bowman Windows 64bit 3 08-05-2008 09:09 AM
Codec lookup fails for bad codec name, blowing up BeautifulSoup John Nagle Python 3 11-10-2007 02:55 AM
Vista codec packages for Vista 32 & vista 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 0 03-05-2007 05:48 PM
Nikon RAW NEF File Editing Without Nikon Capture? Free Software? Dave Head Digital Photography 13 01-14-2004 11:56 PM



Advertisments