Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade from 32 to 64

Upgrade from 32 to 64

=?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

If I buy a Vista Ultimate boxed retail UPGRADE for use with my present 32-bit
Pentium 4 computer, and then about a year from now uninstall it and transfer
it to a new 32-bit computer I build, will I be able to buy a 64-bit upgrade?
In other words, can a 32-bit Vista be upgraded to 64-bit? Or will I need to
buy a full 64-bit version for my new computer a year after buying the 32-bit
one?

John Barnes

What type of XP do you have on your machine now. OEM? Retail?
OEM, you will not be allowed to transfer to your new machine to qualify to
install Vista64.
Retail, you can transfer to your new machine and then do an upgrade install,
but a custom only install.

"Edwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I buy a Vista Ultimate boxed retail UPGRADE for use with my present
> 32-bit
> Pentium 4 computer, and then about a year from now uninstall it and
> transfer
> it to a new 32-bit computer I build, will I be able to buy a 64-bit
> upgrade?
> In other words, can a 32-bit Vista be upgraded to 64-bit? Or will I need
> buy a full 64-bit version for my new computer a year after buying the
> 32-bit
> one?

=?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
expressed more clearly.

I have the OEM version of XP Home.

Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will I
need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
64-bit computer?

When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be uninstalling
the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on the
new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the 32-bit
Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> What type of XP do you have on your machine now. OEM? Retail?
> OEM, you will not be allowed to transfer to your new machine to qualify to
> install Vista64.
> Retail, you can transfer to your new machine and then do an upgrade install,
> but a custom only install.
>
> "Edwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If I buy a Vista Ultimate boxed retail UPGRADE for use with my present
> > 32-bit
> > Pentium 4 computer, and then about a year from now uninstall it and
> > transfer
> > it to a new 32-bit computer I build, will I be able to buy a 64-bit
> > upgrade?
> > In other words, can a 32-bit Vista be upgraded to 64-bit? Or will I need
> > buy a full 64-bit version for my new computer a year after buying the
> > 32-bit
> > one?

Colin Barnhorst

The computer doesn't matter since Vista x86 runs fine on an x64 computer.
Your real problem is that you cannot transfer the XP to a new computer. OEM
copies may not be transferred.

The problem with buying the upgrade edition of Vista is that it requires
Win2k or XP already running before you can perform the upgrade. Since your
XP Home is an OEM copy, you would need to buy another OS for the new
computer. There is little point in buying two OS's to install Vista when
for the same money you can buy a full edition of Vista.

"Edwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
> expressed more clearly.
>
> I have the OEM version of XP Home.
>
> Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will
> need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
> 64-bit computer?
>
> When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be
> uninstalling
> the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on
> the
> new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the
> 32-bit
> Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> What type of XP do you have on your machine now. OEM? Retail?
>> OEM, you will not be allowed to transfer to your new machine to qualify
>> install Vista64.
>> Retail, you can transfer to your new machine and then do an upgrade
>> install,
>> but a custom only install.
>>
>> "Edwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If I buy a Vista Ultimate boxed retail UPGRADE for use with my present
>> > 32-bit
>> > Pentium 4 computer, and then about a year from now uninstall it and
>> > transfer
>> > it to a new 32-bit computer I build, will I be able to buy a 64-bit
>> > upgrade?
>> > In other words, can a 32-bit Vista be upgraded to 64-bit? Or will I
>> > need
>> > buy a full 64-bit version for my new computer a year after buying the
>> > 32-bit
>> > one?

Bruce Chambers

Edwin wrote:
> Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
> expressed more clearly.
>
> I have the OEM version of XP Home.
>
> Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will I
> need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
> 64-bit computer?

In order to be able to use the Vista Upgrade on the new computer, there
will first have to be an older, qualifying OS installed on that new
computer. Your current WinXP Home OEM license will not serve, as it is
not transferable to another computer. So, you'll most likely want to
purchase the full Vista license.

> When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be uninstalling
> the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on the
> new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the 32-bit
> Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?

A full retail license for Vista64; there is no upgrade path from a
32-bit to a 640-bit OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?=

Thanks, Bruce.

I am not sure how I am supposed to go about rating a reply. Is it simply
answering the question (yes or no) "Did this post answer the question?" or is
there a more detailed rating process that I have not been able to find?

Regarding your answer, I am still not sure that I am asking my question well
enough. Here's another try:

My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM installed --
to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be building
about a year from now?

I know that I will then have a 32-bit operating system running on 64-bit
hardware but I guess I can live with that instead of having to then buy a
second copy (64-bit version) of Vista Ultimate boxed (I want to avoid ever
buying an OEM version of Windows -- so I never again will have the
non-transferable OS demon haunting me).

I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out with these things.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Edwin wrote:
> > Thank you for the reply. Here are my two questions, again, but this time
> > expressed more clearly.
> >
> > I have the OEM version of XP Home.
> >
> > Will I be able to buy a Vista Ultimate 32-bit BOXED RETAIL UPGRADE or will I
> > need to buy the full version in order to be able to transfer it later to a
> > 64-bit computer?
> >

> In order to be able to use the Vista Upgrade on the new computer, there
> will first have to be an older, qualifying OS installed on that new
> computer. Your current WinXP Home OEM license will not serve, as it is
> not transferable to another computer. So, you'll most likely want to
> purchase the full Vista license.
>

> > When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be uninstalling
> > the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it on the
> > new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the 32-bit
> > Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?
> >

> A full retail license for Vista64; there is no upgrade path from a
> 32-bit to a 640-bit OS.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

John Barnes

"> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
> when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM
> installed --
> to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
> exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
> Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be
> building
> about a year from now?

NO. Legally, and physically, you will have to have a qualifying, activated
product installed on your new machine. You cannot legally install your OEM
XP on your new machine. Therefore you cannot legally install Vista upgrade
on it.

You must buy the full version to have a legal install of Vista on your new
machine.

Colin Barnhorst

Edwin, you have it all wrong.

When you buy a retail copy of Vista you are entitled to use either x86 or
x64 for the one money. You do not have to buy a 64bit edition later. If
you do not buy Ultimate you have to request a 64bit dvd but that is not the
same as having to buy Vista all over again. One money, both x86 and x64
dvd's, one in the box, one on-demand if you want it. If you buy Ultimate
you get both dvd's right in the box.

You cannot move an upgrade edition of Vista to a new computer without having
a legacy version of Windows installed on the new computer. Since you cannot
move your present XP Home, your plan does not work. Buy a full edition of
Vista if you want to transfer Vista to a new computer in the future.

The only way you can escape the OEM trap, as you call it (and I agree), is
to buy a full edition and break the dependency.

Of course, there is one workaround. You can buy a full edition of XP Home
to use as a base for an upgrade edition of Vista, but that would cost more
than just buying a full edition of Vista.

The point is that the only way to bread an OEM dependency is with a full
edition of Windows.

> [...]

>> purchase the full Vista license.
>>

>> > When I build my new 64-bit computer a year from now, I will be
>> > uninstalling
>> > the 32-bit Ultimate from my old, discarded, computer and installing it
>> > on the
>> > new computer. What will I then need to buy in order to "upgrade" the
>> > 32-bit
>> > Vista Ultimate I will own to the 64-bit version?
>> >

>> A full retail license for Vista64; there is no upgrade path from a
>> 32-bit to a 640-bit OS.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand

Dominic Payer

The Vista Ultimate EULA can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.aspx and includes:

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
software that is eligible
for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
agreement for the software
you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you
upgraded from.

The upgrade is a retail licence. It replaces the qualifying licence and does
not carry forward any restrictions which may have applied to the qualifying
licence, OEM or retail. Once the upgrade has been installed the qualifying
licence, and any previous qualifying licences in the chain, may not legally
be used.

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the
software and
install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this
license between
devices.

So the upgraded licence is transferable to another computer.

If it is true, as has been said, that upgrade DVDs are not bootable then an
unbootable Vista installation created from an upgrade disk will be
unrepairable and there will be no legal way to transfer or reinstall Vista
since the qualifying product would first have to be reinstalled and
activated, which would not be legal under the Vista licence terms.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true
> that
>> when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM
>> installed --
>> to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
>> exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
>> Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be
>> building
>> about a year from now?

> NO. Legally, and physically, you will have to have a qualifying,
> activated product installed on your new machine. You cannot legally
> install your OEM XP on your new machine. Therefore you cannot legally
> install Vista upgrade on it.
>
> You must buy the full version to have a legal install of Vista on your new
> machine.

Bruce Chambers

Edwin wrote:
> Thanks, Bruce.
>
> I am not sure how I am supposed to go about rating a reply. Is it simply
> answering the question (yes or no) "Did this post answer the question?" or is
> there a more detailed rating process that I have not been able to find?

I've no idea what sort of "rating" you're talking about, although it is
usually considered good "netiquette" to reply and let Usenet responders
know if their answers were helpful or not. Doing so serves a two-fold
purpose: (1) It allows others with similar problems/questions searching
the newsgroup to judge the value of various responses, and (2) it lets
the responder know that the answer either is useful and therefore worth
repeating, or unhelpful and in need of further study.

> Regarding your answer, I am still not sure that I am asking my question well
> enough. Here's another try:
>
> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
> when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM installed --
> to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
> exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
> Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be building
> about a year from now?

You will still possess a valid, transferable license for the retail
Vista Upgrade. Having used it over an OEM license will not affect that.
However, as I said, in order to subsequently use that Vista Upgrade
license on a new computer, there will have to be an older, qualifying
operating system already installed on that new computer from which you
can upgrade to Vista.

> I know that I will then have a 32-bit operating system running on 64-bit
> hardware but I guess I can live with that instead of having to then buy a
> second copy (64-bit version) of Vista Ultimate boxed (I want to avoid ever
> buying an OEM version of Windows -- so I never again will have the
> non-transferable OS demon haunting me).

Don't blame you there; I avoid also OEM licenses whenever the situation
warrants and permits.

> I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out with these things.

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: