Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade from 32 to 64

Upgrade from 32 to 64

List Lurker

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

says...

> "> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true that
> > when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM
> > installed --
> > to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
> > exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
> > Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be
> > building
> > about a year from now?

> NO. Legally, and physically, you will have to have a qualifying, activated
> product installed on your new machine. You cannot legally install your OEM
> XP on your new machine. Therefore you cannot legally install Vista upgrade
> on it.
>
> You must buy the full version to have a legal install of Vista on your new
> machine.

hi john & others:

not to be argumentative, but have you checked these out:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...ID=95011&News=
1

brian livingston also said the same thing in his & Langa's Windows
Secret's newsletter

i'm sure no lawyer, nor are the authors above, but basically you install
Vista twice

the 1st time by booting off the DVD, starting the install, BUT DO NOT
enter a Product key, and then once you get to the desktop, start a 2nd
install by calling setup.exe frmo the DVD, and then doing a custom
install

voila!

q.e.d.

out

John Barnes

I think we have all seen them. Brian Livingston, for one, acknowledges that
it violates the EULA, but says in effect that the product is too expensive
so just screw Microsoft. He does advise businesses to follow the EULA for
obvious reasons. For the most part it boils down to personal integrity.

"List Lurker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general and
> a copy was sent to the cited author.]

> says...
>>
>> "> My plan is to buy a boxed upgrade copy of Vista Ultimate. Is it true
>> that
>> > when I upgrade my present computer -- that now has XP Home OEM
>> > installed --
>> > to Vista Ultimate (using this boxed retail upgrade product) I will have
>> > exorcized the OEM curse? That is, will I then posess a license of Vista
>> > Ultimate that can then be transferred to the new computer I will be
>> > building
>> > about a year from now?

>> NO. Legally, and physically, you will have to have a qualifying,
>> activated
>> product installed on your new machine. You cannot legally install your
>> OEM
>> XP on your new machine. Therefore you cannot legally install Vista
>> upgrade
>> on it.
>>
>> You must buy the full version to have a legal install of Vista on your
>> new
>> machine.
>>

> hi john & others:
>
> not to be argumentative, but have you checked these out:
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...ID=95011&News=
> 1
>
> brian livingston also said the same thing in his & Langa's Windows
> Secret's newsletter
>
> i'm sure no lawyer, nor are the authors above, but basically you install
> Vista twice
>
> the 1st time by booting off the DVD, starting the install, BUT DO NOT
> enter a Product key, and then once you get to the desktop, start a 2nd
> install by calling setup.exe frmo the DVD, and then doing a custom
> install
>
> voila!
>
> q.e.d.
>
> out

John Barnes

Incidentally, if one is installing Vista and has XP on their machine, why
would they want to install Vista twice anyway.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...