Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Two questions about Vista timebomb

Two questions about Vista timebomb

DP

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 RC1. It dual boots with XP Professional x64.
After next week, Vista RC1 is probably no longer operable since the product
will be on the market.
Therefore, two questions:

1) When I installed RC1 it installed a dual-boot functionality. In other
words, I didn't have to go looking elsewhere for something that would let me
dual boot. On startup, I get a screen that asks me if I want to use Vista or
an earlier version of Windows. If it gets no response after a set number of
seconds, it automatically boots into Vista.
The question: What happens after the Vista RC1 time-bombs? Will my machine
automatically boot into XP x64? Will the bootloader no longer be functional,
which means I won't be able to boot into XP x64 either?

2) Is there a way to actually uninstall RC1? I assume I could just clear out
the partition it's on, but I'm guessing that's probably not the best way to
get rid of RC1.

I do plan to purchase Vista eventually. I'm just trying to foresee any
problems that might come up before then with the end of RC1's useability.

Thanks for any help.

-dp

Colin Barnhorst

If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1 expires
at the end of May.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 RC1. It dual boots with XP Professional
> x64.
> After next week, Vista RC1 is probably no longer operable since the
> product will be on the market.
> Therefore, two questions:
>
> 1) When I installed RC1 it installed a dual-boot functionality. In other
> words, I didn't have to go looking elsewhere for something that would let
> me dual boot. On startup, I get a screen that asks me if I want to use
> Vista or an earlier version of Windows. If it gets no response after a set
> number of seconds, it automatically boots into Vista.
> The question: What happens after the Vista RC1 time-bombs? Will my machine
> automatically boot into XP x64? Will the bootloader no longer be
> functional, which means I won't be able to boot into XP x64 either?
>
> 2) Is there a way to actually uninstall RC1? I assume I could just clear
> out the partition it's on, but I'm guessing that's probably not the best
> way to get rid of RC1.
>
> I do plan to purchase Vista eventually. I'm just trying to foresee any
> problems that might come up before then with the end of RC1's useability.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -dp

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1 expires
> at the end of May.

Thanks for that. I thought I'd heard otherwise in this group some months
back.

DP

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1
>> expires at the end of May.
>>

> Thanks for that. I thought I'd heard otherwise in this group some months
> back.

Please someone correct me, but I believe what transpired on this group a few
months back was that I had commented about having until May to use RC1. That
way I'd be able to see what the complaints were for a few months after
retail version came out before having to make a decision myself. But someone
else said that as soon as the retail version is available, RC1 won't be
useable.

I guess the May date was in case the retail release was delayed again?

Anybody?

Charlie Russel - MVP

RC1 will be usable, but your license to use it will no longer be valid. It's
a subtle, but important, difference.

That being said, use EasyBCD or other BCD editor to change the default boot
order to boot to XP first. Then, if you want to remove Vista, you can do so,
though the process can be a bit complicated depending on what partitions
things are installed onto.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64