Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Question about Microsoft announcement

Question about Microsoft announcement

DP

Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

Tony Sperling

It's 'Professional' - I can't imagine it makes any difference, 64bit or not.
And I think it is a good thing too. May earn them a Vista sale to me, after
all. (When DX10 is released!)

Tony. . .

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

Colin Barnhorst

The announcement affects the consumer edition users. The business editions,
like XP Pro x64, aren't affected.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

Charlie Russel - MVP

I don't see what the question is? This is strictly about XP Home and XP MCE.
And it just brings them in line with what XP Pro already had. And XP
Professional x64 Edition _is_ XP Pro.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

Sylvain Lafontaine

This is for extended support, so I don't see what's this fuss is all about.
After 2009, it would be crazy for the owner of an XP home machine to pay big
fees for getting support for what would then be a very old machine instead
of buying something new.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

DP

I hadn't seen the earlier announcement about XP Pro. So my question
(admittedly not clearly stated) was whether XP Professional x64 got the
extended support as well. I realize it's branded XP, but as people here
know, x64 is really NOT XP. It has a different service pack schedule etc
etc.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't see what the question is? This is strictly about XP Home and XP
>MCE. And it just brings them in line with what XP Pro already had. And XP
>Professional x64 Edition _is_ XP Pro.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The announcement affects the consumer edition users. The business
> editions, like XP Pro x64, aren't affected.

As I just answered Charlie Russel:
I hadn't seen the earlier announcement about XP Pro. So my question
(admittedly not clearly stated) was whether XP Professional x64 got the
extended support as well. I realize it's branded XP, but as people here
know, x64 is really NOT XP. It has a different service pack schedule etc
etc.

Colin Barnhorst

XP Pro and XP Pro x64 always have had 10 years support. That's why this
announcement doesn't affect them.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The announcement affects the consumer edition users. The business
>> editions, like XP Pro x64, aren't affected.
>>

> As I just answered Charlie Russel:
> I hadn't seen the earlier announcement about XP Pro. So my question
> (admittedly not clearly stated) was whether XP Professional x64 got the
> extended support as well. I realize it's branded XP, but as people here
> know, x64 is really NOT XP. It has a different service pack schedule etc
> etc.

Colin Barnhorst

There was no announcement concerning XP Pro earlier. There has been no
change in support for the business editions.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ot$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I hadn't seen the earlier announcement about XP Pro. So my question
> (admittedly not clearly stated) was whether XP Professional x64 got the
> extended support as well. I realize it's branded XP, but as people here
> know, x64 is really NOT XP. It has a different service pack schedule etc
> etc.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I don't see what the question is? This is strictly about XP Home and XP
>>MCE. And it just brings them in line with what XP Pro already had. And XP
>>Professional x64 Edition _is_ XP Pro.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Anybody know what all this means for Windows XP Pro x64 users?
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...65&subSection=

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was no announcement concerning XP Pro earlier. There has been no
> change in support for the business editions.

Ah.... I see now. I'd misread the opening paragraph:
"Microsoft on Wednesday extended support for its Windows XP Home and Windows
XP Media Center operating systems through 2014 to match policies already in
place for the business-oriented Windows XP Professional. "

I thought they were saying there'd been some previous announcement regarding
Professional.

As Gilda Radner's SNL character would've said: "Never mind."