Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Professional vs Media Center

XP Professional vs Media Center

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnk=?=

My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
characteristics as Professional or as Home?

Colin Barnhorst

MCE 2005 is like Home.

"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
> however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
> characteristics as Professional or as Home?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, it does not. Has some of them, but not all.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
> however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
> characteristics as Professional or as Home?

Bruce Chambers

harry wrote:
> My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
> however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
> characteristics as Professional or as Home?

WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does
_everything_ WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains
additional multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.

Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp

However, for something as critical as POS software, you really should
check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Aaron Kelley

AFAIK the only Pro feature that is missing is the ability to join a domain
(which it can still be tricked into doing).

- Aaron

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> harry wrote:
>> My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
>> however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
>> characteristics as Professional or as Home?

> WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does _everything_
> WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains additional
> multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.
>
> Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp
>
> However, for something as critical as POS software, you really should
> check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

Charlie Russel - MVP

Can't be upgraded to a business edition of Vista. Can't join a domain. (in a
supported way with full functionality) and I seem to recall that some "pro
only" software won't install on it (Services for UNIX, for one.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> AFAIK the only Pro feature that is missing is the ability to join a domain
> (which it can still be tricked into doing).
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> harry wrote:
>>> My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I
>>> have however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
>>> characteristics as Professional or as Home?

>> WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does _everything_
>> WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains additional
>> multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.
>>
>> Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp
>>
>> However, for something as critical as POS software, you really should
>> check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
>> Russell

Aaron Kelley

I imagine that would break the license agreement.
You'll have to do your own searching on that.

- Aaron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...