Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > VMWare Workstation and 64-bit Guest OS on Intel Core 2 Duo

VMWare Workstation and 64-bit Guest OS on Intel Core 2 Duo

Neil W.

Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on an
Intel-based notebook? If so, can you share what make and model your
notebook is? Thanks!

Aaron Kelley

I'm using an AMD machine, but it *should* work fine, the only 64-bit CPUs
not capable of running a 64-bit guest in VMware are some of the early AMD
ones. I think VMware even has a free utility available that tells you if
your CPU will work. The biggest issue, I think, would be making sure you
have plenty of RAM for both your host and guest to run simultaneously
without choking.

Ah, here it is.
http://download3.vmware.com/software....5.0-18463.exe
I guess this doesn't help if you don't have the laptop yet.

- Aaron

"Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on an
> Intel-based notebook? If so, can you share what make and model your
> notebook is? Thanks!

Aaron Kelley

Notes on the utility indicate that it may not be 100% accurate on Intel
CPUs, depends on whether VT is enabled in the BIOS.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/processor_check.pdf

- Aaron

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an AMD machine, but it *should* work fine, the only 64-bit CPUs
> not capable of running a 64-bit guest in VMware are some of the early AMD
> ones. I think VMware even has a free utility available that tells you if
> your CPU will work. The biggest issue, I think, would be making sure you
> have plenty of RAM for both your host and guest to run simultaneously
> without choking.
>
> Ah, here it is.
> http://download3.vmware.com/software....5.0-18463.exe
> I guess this doesn't help if you don't have the laptop yet.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on an
>> Intel-based notebook? If so, can you share what make and model your
>> notebook is? Thanks!

Neil W.

Thanks - I know about the AMD machines, thats why I was specifically asking
about the Intel-based machines.

________________________

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm using an AMD machine, but it *should* work fine, the only 64-bit CPUs
> not capable of running a 64-bit guest in VMware are some of the early AMD
> ones. I think VMware even has a free utility available that tells you if
> your CPU will work. The biggest issue, I think, would be making sure you
> have plenty of RAM for both your host and guest to run simultaneously
> without choking.
>
> Ah, here it is.
> http://download3.vmware.com/software....5.0-18463.exe
> I guess this doesn't help if you don't have the laptop yet.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on an
>> Intel-based notebook? If so, can you share what make and model your
>> notebook is? Thanks!

Colin Barnhorst

While I am not running a Core 2 Duo laptop I am running VMWare 6 beta on a
C2D desktop with an XP Pro x64 guest.