Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Couple of Questions

Couple of Questions

=?Utf-8?B?S2VyZnJvbg==?=

Hey there I've just got a couple of questions that I'm not so sure about in
regards to Windows Vista.

1) How do I if I should buy the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista?
2) Whats the difference between the upgrade version and the OEM version?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it =)

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:45:00 -0800, Kerfron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1) How do I if I should buy the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista?

Check the CPU you have.

>2) Whats the difference between the upgrade version and the OEM version?

Upgrade: you will need to have an existing Windows.
OEM: will be sold with new hardware (like a new computer)

=?Utf-8?B?S2VyZnJvbg==?=

So if I buy the OEM version there won't be any differences? And I have an AMD
Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.41 GHz

John Barnes

There are license and support differences. NO support other than yourself.
License tied to one computer.

"Kerfron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So if I buy the OEM version there won't be any differences? And I have an
> AMD
> Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.41 GHz

John Barnes

Actually the newsgroups and Microsoft's knowledge base are great support,
but you have to do your own searching.

news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are license and support differences. NO support other than
> yourself. License tied to one computer.
>
> "Kerfron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So if I buy the OEM version there won't be any differences? And I have an
>> AMD
>> Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.41 GHz

Colin Barnhorst

Depends entirely on how you use a computer. What things do you like to do?
What programs do you use? For most home users a full retail Vista Home
Premium edition should be just fine.

"Kerfron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok thats great So with my processor which version should I be looking
> buy?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Actually the newsgroups and Microsoft's knowledge base are great support,
>> but you have to do your own searching.
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > There are license and support differences. NO support other than
>> > yourself. License tied to one computer.
>> >
>> > "Kerfron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:08:44 -0800, Kerfron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok thats great So with my processor which version should I be looking to
>buy?

It says "Athlon 64". That should give you the hint

jud

John Barnes

In addition to Colin's advice I would add that if everything you are going
to put on the computer is new, hardware and software, make sure that you
check driver availability and programs that are for Vista. Deciding on
32-bit or 64-bit is also a decision you will need to make with OEM. Retail
you get both, but OEM is one or the other. Another difference. At this
point you can read this
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
to see if you are a candidate for 64-bit, but at this point I would think
most still should stick with 32-bit FWIW.
If you are going to be installing older hardware or software, check for
driver availability. Older programs with drivers are highly unlikely to
install on 64-bit and you will have a more luck with finding drivers for
32-bit for the hardware.