Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > VMWare Workstation and 64-bit Guest OS

VMWare Workstation and 64-bit Guest OS

Neil W.

Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on a
notebook? If so, can you share what make, model and configuration notebook?
Thanks!

Dshai

Yes I do, I'm running Ubuntu 64bit on VMWare 6 beta.

--

Dshai

Life is only limited by those living it...

"Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on a
> notebook? If so, can you share what make, model and configuration
> notebook? Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Running 64bit XP on a 64bit Vista host on a Ferrari 4000 with 2 GB of RAM.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on a
> notebook? If so, can you share what make, model and configuration
> notebook? Thanks!

Neil W.

Oops - so sorry. I meant to ask if anyone is running on an Intel-based
notebook. But thanks for replying. How do you like the Ferrari 4000 in
general? Why did you choose that notebook if you don't mind my asking?

> Running 64bit XP on a 64bit Vista host on a Ferrari 4000 with 2 GB of RAM.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on a
>> notebook? If so, can you share what make, model and configuration
>> notebook? Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why choose it? Because it was the first fully supported 64bit notebook
available. Do I like it? LOVE IT. FAR better than any notebook I've ever
had. I use it still as my every day machine. Great display, usable keyboard,
all the features you could ask for, and it's fast. Oh, and lest anyone doubt
it, it's also _cool_. One thing that I like is that even though it has
every possible feature, more than enough HD and almost enough memory, it
still weighs in at under 6 Lbs. That's because of the carbon fibre.

If I were buying a laptop today, it would be the 5000. It would not be an
Intel.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oops - so sorry. I meant to ask if anyone is running on an Intel-based
> notebook. But thanks for replying. How do you like the Ferrari 4000 in
> general? Why did you choose that notebook if you don't mind my asking?

>> Running 64bit XP on a 64bit Vista host on a Ferrari 4000 with 2 GB of
>> RAM.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone have a 64-bit VMWare Guest OS successfully running on a
>>> notebook? If so, can you share what make, model and configuration
>>> notebook? Thanks!

Neil W.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the Dell Inspiron 1501? Also
an AMD-based notebook. Do you have any experience with it?

http://www.dell.com/content/products...spx/inspn_1501

__________________

> Why choose it? Because it was the first fully supported 64bit notebook
> available. Do I like it? LOVE IT. FAR better than any notebook I've ever
> had. I use it still as my every day machine. Great display, usable
> keyboard, all the features you could ask for, and it's fast. Oh, and lest
> anyone doubt it, it's also _cool_. One thing that I like is that even
> though it has every possible feature, more than enough HD and almost
> enough memory, it still weighs in at under 6 Lbs. That's because of the
> carbon fibre.
>
> If I were buying a laptop today, it would be the 5000. It would not be an
> Intel.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oops - so sorry. I meant to ask if anyone is running on an Intel-based
>> notebook. But thanks for replying. How do you like the Ferrari 4000 in
>> general? Why did you choose that notebook if you don't mind my asking?

>>> Running 64bit XP on a 64bit Vista host on a Ferrari 4000 with 2 GB of
>>> RAM.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

No experience with it. However, I'm not impressed. One, it's a Dell. Two, it
has a very weak display (1280x800??? - Sorry, that won't cut it. ) Maximum
80 GB. And that only 5400 RPM. Listed weight over 6 Lbs. No bluetooth. Oh,
and it doesn't even list a 64bit OS as an option, so no guarantees about
drivers. Not inspiring. Everything else you could work around, but the
display is fatal.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%237es$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the Dell Inspiron 1501?
> Also an AMD-based notebook. Do you have any experience with it?
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/products...spx/inspn_1501
>
> __________________

>> Why choose it? Because it was the first fully supported 64bit notebook
>> available. Do I like it? LOVE IT. FAR better than any notebook I've ever
>> had. I use it still as my every day machine. Great display, usable
>> keyboard, all the features you could ask for, and it's fast. Oh, and lest
>> anyone doubt it, it's also _cool_. One thing that I like is that even
>> though it has every possible feature, more than enough HD and almost
>> enough memory, it still weighs in at under 6 Lbs. That's because of the
>> carbon fibre.
>>
>> If I were buying a laptop today, it would be the 5000. It would not be an
>> Intel.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Neil W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Oops - so sorry. I meant to ask if anyone is running on an Intel-based
>>> notebook. But thanks for replying. How do you like the Ferrari 4000 in
>>> general? Why did you choose that notebook if you don't mind my asking?
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message

Colin Barnhorst

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No experience with it. However, I'm not impressed. One, it's a Dell. Two,
> it has a very weak display (1280x800??? - Sorry, that won't cut it. )
> Maximum 80 GB. And that only 5400 RPM. Listed weight over 6 Lbs. No
> bluetooth. Oh, and it doesn't even list a 64bit OS as an option, so no
> guarantees about drivers. Not inspiring. Everything else you could work
> around, but the display is fatal.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

And I didn't even mention the most important negative, for me. It's a Dell.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No experience with it. However, I'm not impressed. One, it's a Dell. Two,
>> it has a very weak display (1280x800??? - Sorry, that won't cut it. )
>> Maximum 80 GB. And that only 5400 RPM. Listed weight over 6 Lbs. No
>> bluetooth. Oh, and it doesn't even list a 64bit OS as an option, so no
>> guarantees about drivers. Not inspiring. Everything else you could work
>> around, but the display is fatal.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst

Aw, you just object to being called "Dude."

news:(E-Mail Removed)...